Cubeworld

Pizoi

Golden Squire
The fact that there was 18 days between updates, and the only things in the update were a couple simple Ranger bug fixes, an FPS limiter, and an XP nerf makes me wonder if this game has a future at all. Maybe they took a 2 week vacation? I don't know.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
Living the new rich life instead of working on the game I bet!!
wink.png

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am concerned as well. The alpha demonstrates tons of potential, but it's pretty much JUST potential. The game feels like a tech demo right now.

They posted an update on their site with their list of "next steps". Most of it had to do with bug fix/usability stuff. I was REALLY hoping to hear more about how they plan to take the game to the next level from a content standpoint.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
I am concerned as well. The alpha demonstrates tons of potential, but it's pretty much JUST potential. The game feels like a tech demo right now.

They posted an update on their site with their list of "next steps". Most of it had to do with bug fix/usability stuff. I was REALLY hoping to hear more about how they plan to take the game to the next level from a content standpoint.
exactly. And all the "in the future" stuff on their website, they havent said if those things are actualy planned and being worked on or just things they'd like to eventualy put in the game with no timeframe. I'm hoping they have things in the works already other than just bugfixing, cause the engine is great but game as it is is stale.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I wish he would hire another person or two but I can understand why he doesn't want to.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
They really haven't added shit since release, mainly just bug fixes and minor balancing. There are a ton of people modding stuff, but since it is just Wollay and his wifey working on the game, don't expect major updates to pump out fast.

In my opinion, waiting to buy it doesn't really matter. The price will most likely not go down, so playing now doesn't hurt. It is definitely more fun with friends and you could easily get 10+ hours out of it. If you wait then it'll just be all new to you, so either way it works. I fully expect updates to come, there is lots of code and textures in the game files that are not being used yet, so its there and just not implemented yet. When that will happen? Who knows.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I may be too pessimistic. The lack of communication from the devs makes me nervous. I hope they do a lot more with it, it has tons of potential.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Given the fact that this is barely a two person dev team who are also against modding I have no hope for this game actually releasing any content in for foreseeable future. The only hope is that modders find a way to release gameplay content besides the cosmetic bs that I have seen floating around if that is possible.

Whether it is worth buying or not it depends, the game is basically a single/multiplayer mmo just with no quests, lore or interesting mechanics. The most fun I had was exploring and seeing the different biomes everything else was just the usual item / level grind except in this it is endless and ultimately pointless. It was definitely fun though for a few hours though.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They actually said that? I remember someone talking about it but it was not clear what their stance was.
The last time I checked their forums Wollay had a no official mod support stance. That said there is a mod section on the forum filled with cosmetic stuff that people have created so who knows, maybe he will change his mind, I can't find any concrete statements either way. All that I know for sure is that this won't be like the minecraft mod scene since it is programmed in C++ instead of Java which can't be easily decompiled to get at the source code. It would take a ton of work to do any serious modding unless Wollay decides to create the support to do so.

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Living the new rich life instead of working on the game I bet!!
wink.png
You say this jokingly but it is pretty much the current state of indie games now that we get the privilege to graciously be allowed to pay full game price to test games for people. Make as beefy of a demo as possible, get some guy who has already had a game go through this tweet about your demo or tell Kotaku that it's amazing, sell multiple tens of thousands of copies for early release alpha play and then let project dwindle into obscurity while you begin work on next non-game. I don't think that these people are necessarily going into this with a moustache twirling villain plan in mind, they're just fucking terrible game designers and when push comes to shove and the funding ceases to be a problem (and an excuse for them to not be fully vested into this) their inabilities quickly rise to the surface as they realize that they don't actually have a full game inside of their one gimmicky idea. This is exactly how Notch went with minecraft except he was very easy to spot as someone who had no concept of how to make a game out of his project from the start. He sold a million copies and brought on additional people and then lost interest in his own game so released some shitty patches that the mod community either dumped out or improved on in an incredibly shorter period of time while he moved on to whatever fucking stupid space adventure game that he will eventually give up on as well.

These seem to all be cases of programmers not understanding that spending years learning how to code to reach a level where they can make something like this is the truly disposable aspect of game development. You need one of those guys that can just spout out fun ideas on a whim and then understand the mechanics that would keep the idea fun and engaging. Apparently, sadly, that guy cannot code and apparently, also sadly, coders cannot design organic things and even more sad is that all of the people who can somewhat do both things or are good at working with each other and finishing games are all at AAA studios destroying the industry to such an extent that we are all literally throwing money at people who look like they might have a fun idea but have no idea how to finish a game.

The next iteration of this stupid pay for alpha con is going to just be some guy posting a piece of an idea on Steam and then you paying him $20 bucks to go over to his house and theory craft a game out of it while he heads off to the bar to spend your money.

Nutron_sl

shitlord
You say this jokingly but it is pretty much the current state of indie games now that we get the privilege to graciously be allowed to pay full game price to test games for people. Make as beefy of a demo as possible, get some guy who has already had a game go through this tweet about your demo or tell Kotaku that it's amazing, sell multiple tens of thousands of copies for early release alpha play and then let project dwindle into obscurity while you begin work on next non-game. I don't think that these people are necessarily going into this with a moustache twirling villain plan in mind, they're just fucking terrible game designers and when push comes to shove and the funding ceases to be a problem (and an excuse for them to not be fully vested into this) their inabilities quickly rise to the surface as they realize that they don't actually have a full game inside of their one gimmicky idea. This is exactly how Notch went with minecraft except he was very easy to spot as someone who had no concept of how to make a game out of his project from the start. He sold a million copies and brought on additional people and then lost interest in his own game so released some shitty patches that the mod community either dumped out or improved on in an incredibly shorter period of time while he moved on to whatever fucking stupid space adventure game that he will eventually give up on as well.

These seem to all be cases of programmers not understanding that spending years learning how to code to reach a level where they can make something like this is the truly disposable aspect of game development. You need one of those guys that can just spout out fun ideas on a whim and then understand the mechanics that would keep the idea fun and engaging. Apparently, sadly, that guy cannot code and apparently, also sadly, coders cannot design organic things and even more sad is that all of the people who can somewhat do both things or are good at working with each other and finishing games are all at AAA studios destroying the industry to such an extent that we are all literally throwing money at people who look like they might have a fun idea but have no idea how to finish a game.

The next iteration of this stupid pay for alpha con is going to just be some guy posting a piece of an idea on Steam and then you paying him $20 bucks to go over to his house and theory craft a game out of it while he heads off to the bar to spend your money.
Oh the things I would do if I could code games well.. ;D

But yeah it's to be expected for a team of 2 people that are very closed off to accepting outside help. How many times have you seen great ideas/projects die off because the creator was paranoid and didn't want anyone to work with him... That's in every walk of life basicaly. This game is the prime example of a great fun engine that should be almost open source for modding so the community shapes it like they want. Look at how Dota 2, one of the most succesful current games operates, a LOT of the content (hero designs, suggestions, gameplay) was player driven. Steam workshop is a great example of funneling life into a product.

This game to me is gonna be a classic case of "could've been" from what i see so far. Call me a pessimist but I doubt one big patch will come out and magicaly infuse life into it, it's gonna be tiny patches with tiny additions here and there because it's a team of 2 people and until that changes, the game won't really change.

Just the fact they don't want to release this on Steam reenforces that feeling of wanting to control everything about it... The store was a disaster when they released the first version and probably lost them thousands of dollars..

xzi

Mouthbreather
He's such an unreliable dev, considering he's building the game by himself and leaves absolutely no comments on the game even when people continously ask him if he's working on anything. I understand it could get completely annoying but at least leave a facebook status saying "I'm doing shit" more than once every 5 months. That is my only complain is the complete lack of communication.

That said, I like the changes and I hope he continues to work on the game, but that Wakandan needs like one other person to just write to people asking if the game is dead for months.