• Easy

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Rockhard Weekend Hard

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Right, but the idea that something "cannot be cured" is ridiculous. What was that Picard-ism? "Things are only impossible until they're not"?

I'm sure that 100 years ago, the idea of completely eradicating smallpox seemed rather far-fetched. Well, here we are, and it's done.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
The cure for a lot of chronic diseases is not being a sedentary fatass who smokes for 20+ years unfortunately I don't think we're gonna magically make that go away with a pill, at least in our lifetimes.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The cure for a lot of chronic diseases is not being a sedentary fatass who smokes for 20+ years unfortunately I don't think we're gonna magically make that go away with a pill, at least in our lifetimes.
Gene and nano-therapy!

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
\smallpox is caused\by a bacterial infection of Variola
084.png

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Vaccination isn't a cure, it's prevention. The eradication of Smallpox is the single biggest achievement in the history of medication, period. It has killed more people then anything else in the history of mankind.

You know the Indians? When the Europeans came across, 90-95% of the population in both North and South America died off due to Smallpox. 90%+.

Without it, we wouldn't have an America. The Indians would've been able to field actual armies, and Cortez wouldn't have been able march off with all the Aztec gold with a few hundred conquistadors. You think it was modern technology that gave Cortez the upper hand? No, it was biological warfare. Imagine three million Aztecs descending on 800 conquistadors and their muskets. Yeah.

Then again, without Smallpox we wouldn't have Islam or Christianity. So, man history has some big fucking butterflies.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Wooly playing semantics and also the fuck out in left field part of post.

Nothing is a cure then. Everything is just a pre or post prophylaxis

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Vaccination isn't a cure, it's prevention. The eradication of Smallpox is the single biggest achievement in the history of medication, period. It has killed more people then anything else in the history of mankind.

You know the Indians? When the Europeans came across, 90-95% of the population in both North and South America died off due to Smallpox. 90%+.

Without it, we wouldn't have an America. The Indians would've been able to field actual armies, and Cortez wouldn't have been able march off with all the Aztec gold with a few hundred conquistadors. You think it was modern technology that gave Cortez the upper hand? No, it was biological warfare. Imagine three million Aztecs descending on 800 conquistadors and their muskets. Yeah.

Then again, without Smallpox we wouldn't have Islam or Christianity. So, man history has some big fucking butterflies.

Preventing a disease from spreading completely in a populace is a cure.

You are retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

iannis

Musty Nester
Depends on how you define cure, I guess.

I'd go with "the pathogen is no longer present within the host". That seems fairly straightforward, functional, and self-evident. That means a lot of things can be cured, and a lot of things cannot be cured. It also means that many things are not ammenable to cures at all since a cure requires a pathogen.

Using this definition you would never "cure" cancer. And we don't cure cancer. We treat cancer.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Dude, an open wound, sterilized or not, is open to infection. After surgery you are given intravenous antibiotics.

Difference between me and you is I cite posts and information. You make shit up.
You think you're dropping knowledge when you are in fact dropping autism well-versed in every subject and in fact, dropping knowledge. Amod pls change Wooly's name to Crisformage, PhD.
Autoimmune disease comprises of a spectrum of around a hundred diseases. Everything from heart attacks to MS, to ALS, to Lupus have all been linked or suspected to be of autoimmune origin. Our own immune system, the very thing that keeps is alive, is also the largest cause of chronic disease. When it starts attacking your own body, it's relentless and never stops. Technically cancer is an autoimmune disease because its a failure of your immune system to get rid of malignant cells. Yep, you think we should cure cancer. Wrong alley, this is what we should be working on. Even fucking common allergies are autoimmune.

autoimm.bmp

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I tend to frame my analyses of complex economic systems like the pharmaceutical industry around a simple concept: follow the money.

I don't think cures are conspiratorially hidden from the public, I think they are just not as good an RoI. That is not to say that I think literally everything is curable (right now), rather that research money will be dumped into effective treatments first.

The only time a cure/vaccine appears to be pushed by pharma with R&D is when there is no effective treatment of the symptoms or it's unprofitable to do so (ie generics tank the prices to pennies, now offer a 10K cure instead).

I have no evidence of any of this outside of anecdotal knowledge, but that makes me about as knowledgeable as Wooly and at least four times as reasonable.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user