Cyberpunk 2077

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I see what you did there, but he says it with the spanish H sound instead of J, so it doesn't really work. Quick google shows that 'Jaina' is Mexican slang for 'Chick'

Jesus, could you imagine the pinkhair rage if he was just calling her the equivalent of pussy?

ya it looks like mexican gangster slang for honey but I like my theory better!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
somewhere Todd Howard is dead drunk and crying

Would love to say to Todd, "Hey Todd, this is the kind of game you get when you aren't buying out development houses with cancelled projects, absorbing them into your company last minute, stamping an IP on it from the book of owned IP's, and passing off cheap game/large profit bullshit to your customers who wonder how the hell the game you just launched has any semblance to the IP in the first place"

Love this company. I also love their DLC practices.

• 1Like

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
I found something I didn't like in that video. The distance to objective arrow indicator. It's a total immersion breaker. I hope there will be a way to disable it or it can be modded out. That arrow takes away all the exploring. I need to find something "oh hei, I'm only 4m away, also I need to turn a bit since I'm currently not looking right at it. And there it is"

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I found something I didn't like in that video. The distance to objective arrow indicator. It's a total immersion breaker. I hope there will be a way to disable it or it can be modded out. That arrow takes away all the exploring. I need to find something "oh hei, I'm only 4m away, also I need to turn a bit since I'm currently not looking right at it. And there it is"
A lot of games have been pretty good at having an option to turn it off. At least a lot of the games I've been playing, not sure about other stuff.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

Although in theory it actually makes sense on how it works given it is HUD built into the characters eyes that you are seeing. Then also would be easy to be in an area you are "jammed" where it doesn't work.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It fits the setting as well as it could be explained as a feature of an implant

In the demo it is described as part of the implant. Basically all the HUD you are seeing from gun ammo to the other stuff is all part of your cyber optics package.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've never been more excited for a game in my entire life. I watched the stream live and some of the negative comments in the chat made absolutely no sense at all.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Yeah I had a coworker tell me it was ruined because it was first person only. That doesn't even make sense to me.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah I had a coworker tell me it was ruined because it was first person only. That doesn't even make sense to me.

I wouldn't call it ruined, but personally I would have much preferred third person and had assumed it would be since W3 was. And I do think the "immersion" reason is bullshit.

I've always hated first person, and the hand holding a weapon in the middle of my screen actually breaks my immersion, but that's just me. Still a day 1 purchase.

Grabbit Allworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Follow up thought - if CDPR releases a modern Vampire Masquerade/Bloodlines game after CP 2077, I can die happy.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I've never met a third-person shooter that didn't feel wonky. Similarly, first-person melee has always felt off. YMMV.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've never met a third-person shooter that didn't feel wonky. Similarly, first-person melee has always felt off. YMMV.

Wonky how? They aren't all the same, and the older ones weren't great, but The Division, for a recent example, seemed fine to me.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
24 hours later and there isn't a Kotaku article complaining about the toxic masculinity of CDPR demo conflating brutality against women with sexual titilation? Really off their game right now.

IKR? 40 min trailer with boob physics and zero backlash so far. Maybe a sign of progress?

Anyway this looks fucking awesome. Like best of Deus Ex + Witcher 3 combined.

Also whoever said "CDPR take on Vampire The Masquerade : Bloodlines" … holy shit that would be amazing.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Wonky how?

It's the perspective. With a third-person camera the point behind the cursor from the camera's POV is not the same point as from the avatar's POV. At least for me, triggers a constant awareness of the trangle of sight lines that breaks immersion. If you talk to game devs about it they have to engage in all kinds of funky physics and display hacks to make the bullets come out of the avatar while still hitting the target point of the third-person view.

(There's actually the same problem in first-person where the bullets need to come from the gun and hit the point in the center of the POV, and the guns are usually on one side or the other to not obstruct the screen. That's harder for the player to notice though because the angles are much smaller.)

Last edited: