Cyberpunk 2077

Fadaar

That guy
They have it playable from start to finish already. so I'd be shocked if it took them 2 years to finish up what's left to do.

Mark my words -- winter 2020 as a launch title for new consoles.

Last edited:

Del

Vyemm Raider
Oh don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is fucking amazing. I'm just saying it's better to temper your expectations and be pleasantly surprised rather than expect something of that caliber again and be disappointed. A completely new project is wildly different than developing a sequel to an existing one. Look at how popular the Saint's Row franchise was, and then how lukewarm the reception for Volition's next project (Agents of Mayhem) was.
Taint's Row was always mediocre and Volition are shitty devs that rely on over the top wackiness to entertain rather than good gameplay mechanics and design.

The Witcher wasn't very good, but The Witcher 2 was good, and The Witcher 3 was phenomenal. CDPR knows what they're doing and it's obvious from the gameplay trailer and impressions that have come out of E3 and Gamescom.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Me right now:

Capture.PNG

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Saint's Row 1 and 2 were the bomb. Even the rest of the Saint's Row games were decent but it slowly became more of the same.

I don't see how CDPR could fuck this up at this point.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Fuck, I can't wait to get home and watch this.

If they go VR mode I'll have to buy one.

MightyMadman

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just finished watching the demo, looks interesting and cool as shit. I’m happy about the first person movement. Hopefully makes it play and feel like a modern shooter, unlike fallout 4 when it first dropped. Two more things: is there a fake nontroversy happening cause of the release of gameplay? Just wondering cause whenever CDPR say or do something they get in trouble. Last: I NEED THAT SOUNDTRACK, most of the music sound on point

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Oh don't get me wrong, Witcher 3 is fucking amazing. I'm just saying it's better to temper your expectations and be pleasantly surprised rather than expect something of that caliber again and be disappointed. A completely new project is wildly different than developing a sequel to an existing one. Look at how popular the Saint's Row franchise was, and then how lukewarm the reception for Volition's next project (Agents of Mayhem) was.

Tl;dr: I am hyped, want the game, but worried about progression vs size\scope of the game.

Or long version, the way I look at it is

Witcher 1 - Very large game with a focus on story production values that, at that point, hadn't really been done to my knowledge in the top down somewhat hack and slash genre. However, had quite a few issues. They listened to that feedback and continued updating it with free updates to an enhanced edition.

Witcher 2 - Continued the style of one. Taking feedback from the first and making it much better and even larger. Focus in particular was in expanding dialogue, side quests and adding "character" to the world. Still had issues, but again, listened to feedback and a dev even made an unofficial official patch for it and later an enhanced edition was released as well (unless that was for the first one, can't remember)

Witcher 3 - Continued the focus in creating a world with character development and production value as a factor. Which at this point still stand head and shoulders above any other RPG in the genre. They also listened to feedback which this time came in the scope of one great DLC/expansion and one good enough that it could be a stand alone game and still GOTY material.

Point being, CDPR consistently made upgrades of their games, focusing on the story and the game world. Their end product of that progression still doesn't have a peer four years after the release. Hence, my faith so to speak, is fairly high when it comes to their skill and knowledge in putting a world together.

However, the downside of their previous games was the same in all the games. The combat and loot progression. It continued getting better with each game, but I finished The Witcher 3 and both DLCs on the hardest difficulty, and it was still a joke from around the mid part of the game. It was very easy and the same skills\playstyle from around hour 50 to 150. Armor and weapon upgrades after you started getting the set you wanted was non-existent, which was about halfway into the game.

Still, I assume it is "easier" to develop a good FPS combat than it is to develop good melee combat. There aren't many melee games that lets you instantly swap weapons tactically. You don't go in with a longsword do a few slashes, switch to a mace for a stun and finish of with a combo from a dagger. However, going from rifle, to up close with a shotgun and finishing an enemy off with a combo headshot from a gun... Other than perhaps the last combo, that is something we do in games all the time. So I also believe they can make that aspect good. Certainly looks like it from the gameplay trailer today. Should also be easier to add a larger base of loot to the game with implants, armour, and weapons that aren't just "sword +1"

That said, my main concern in this game is the same as nearly every single large open world game. The amount of content makes it so that you progress past a large part of it. I always do all side quests before progression, but that always leads to me getting demotivated around mid game because it's not even remotely challenging anymore and there isn't really any character skill development left. You just putting any eventual skill points, ability points or whatever into things you don't ever use.

For example for this game. How long until you get the military grade plugins\guns and what do you have to work for after that? Enemies have levels, if they don't scale, how long until you progress in experience so far that nearly everything you encounter is grey? How much "content" is left at that point?

So my worry isn't that CDPR can't make a new massive game with a new IP. It's that they won't fix the problem that no developer has ever fixed. The Witcher 3, while still my favourite game of all time, was absolutely horrible in that regard. And the problem there is that I finished TW3 completely based on me wanting to see everything Geralt had to offer. I wanted to conclude a story built on several games. Between the games I had been hearing about Ciri, Triss, Yennefer and Geralt for years. It certainly wasn't the trivial combat or the lack of any loot that made me finish it.

This game doesn't have that. So if progression falters mid way, it might end up the same as Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim. I've never finished the main story in any of those. 100s of combined hours, but every playthrouh ends not long after I quit caring what loot dropped or if I level up.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Finally got to watch the whole thing. Hell ya, can't wait. Sadly I could see them having the game be 100% and still not release it till 20/7/7

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
At this point they can take all the time they need to polish it, that world is the exact thing I've wanted in a game in forever.

• 2Solidarity

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
As promised, it's a gnarly ass Deus Ex, except with sneaking as less of a focus.

Sign me the hell up.

And Moore's Law the hell out of the video card industry before 2020 rolls around.

• 3Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Also, this is how you narrate a video game. Some of these companies should take a lesson from this when showing a new game off.

• 3Like

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
It showed a creator at the start. I assume 'Jaina' is some spanish thing, or a nickname he uses for V

The character in the video is a woman with the handle of V. Her partner is being a smart ass V-jaina!

• 2Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
The character in the video is a woman with the handle of V. Her partner is being a smart ass V-jaina!

I see what you did there, but he says it with the spanish H sound instead of J, so it doesn't really work. Quick google shows that 'Jaina' is Mexican slang for 'Chick'

Jesus, could you imagine the pinkhair rage if he was just calling her the equivalent of pussy?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
24 hours later and there isn't a Kotaku article complaining about the toxic masculinity of CDPR demo conflating brutality against women with sexual titilation? Really off their game right now.

• 3Like