D.C. Naval Yard Shooting

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just once I want to see a news outlet say something to the effect:

" This is what we know.........nothing".

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Quick, could someone please make a stupid fucking comment to turn this tragedy into a parable for their pet political cause?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I believe this tragedy conclusively proves that stem cell research needs to stay banned.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Doesn't the Navy Yard have fences around it and the standard security checkpoints at entrances that you typically find at government buildings? I've never been inside, but I can't believe it's as easy as entering a normal office building. I'm really curious to find out the specifics of how and where the shooter(s) entered, particularly whether they sneaked in or shot their way through.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Doesn't the Navy Yard have fences around it and the standard security checkpoints at entrances that you typically find at government buildings? I've never been inside, but I can't believe it's as easy as entering a normal office building. I'm really curious to find out the specifics of how and where the shooter(s) entered, particularly whether they sneaked in or shot their way through.
Or, you know, they probably work there and just brought a gun with them.

McCheese

Or, you know, they probably work there and just brought a gun with them.
Well that's what I was getting at. People who work in facilities like that don't have to go through security themselves? I can understand higher ups not having to deal with it, but I figure that your average grunt worker would at least go through a metal detector or something. Like I said, I've never been inside so I really have no clue, but going by what you see all the time in TV and movies, military/research facilities always have checkpoints that everyone goes through.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
He was ID'd as a contractor that worked there.

I swear to God every time I go to CNN the headline font gets slightly bigger. No clue why I still go there...

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Well that's what I was getting at. People who work in facilities like that don't have to go through security themselves? I can understand higher ups not having to deal with it, but I figure that your average grunt worker would at least go through a metal detector or something. Like I said, I've never been inside so I really have no clue, but going by what you see all the time in TV and movies, military/research facilities always have checkpoints that everyone goes through.
Never seen a metal detector or anything on any base I've been to. Just standard ID checks/occasional trunk check at gates.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Most buildings I go in have a metal detector, some even 2 checkpoints with them.

I can see how a building with so much traffic like that may not have one as there would be like an hour line just to get into work.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Most buildings I go in have a metal detector, some even 2 checkpoints with them.

I can see how a building with so much traffic like that may not have one as there would be like an hour line just to get into work.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Why are we talking about this on this forum? It's not going to help anything.

If you want to give support go to your FB page and type #NavalYardShooting

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jesus. Do you know how long it'd take to get to work if everyone had to be searched? That's fucking ridiculous. Sounds like you think some of us in the government would be ok with a police state.

I did 6 years in the Army and I think my car was searched going onto base once (and I lived on base for a good 4 years). This was at Fort Campbell, which is one of the larger bases.

Hell, they completely got rid of ID checks in some of the services. Car stickers are gone in all of them now as far as I know (think the Air Force may still have them but is getting rid of them soon). I work on a Navy base at the moment and it's just a guy at a gate. We have people run the checkpoint all the time. It's not like they're just going to go apeshit and start shooting at a guy who might have just been late to work and wasn't paying attention.

Just because we're military doesn't mean we've got to go through some sort of crazy security system just to go to work. There areareasof bases that are more secure. But in general they're just normal places that normal people go work at.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Car stickers going away was a good thing. They are easy to replicate and made the gate guards lax that if you had a sticker you were legit to come on. It also made you a target if someone wanted to find a military member to steal identification or uniforms from. Sure it didn't happen a lot but it did happen.

McCheese

Jesus. Do you know how long it'd take to get to work if everyone had to be searched? That's fucking ridiculous. Sounds like you think some of us in the government would be ok with a police state.

I did 6 years in the Army and I think my car was searched going onto base once (and I lived on base for a good 4 years). This was at Fort Campbell, which is one of the larger bases.

Hell, they completely got rid of ID checks in some of the services. Car stickers are gone in all of them now as far as I know (think the Air Force may still have them but is getting rid of them soon). I work on a Navy base at the moment and it's just a guy at a gate. We have people run the checkpoint all the time. It's not like they're just going to go apeshit and start shooting at a guy who might have just been late to work and wasn't paying attention.

Just because we're military doesn't mean we've got to go through some sort of crazy security system just to go to work. There areareasof bases that are more secure. But in general they're just normal places that normal people go work at.
Like I said, I've never stepped foot on a military base or government facility (and likely never will).

rrr_img_43694.jpg