Dad from 7th Heaven confesses to child molestation

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I don't buy that even a little bit.

But Doctors generally excel at 2 things. One of which is covering their ass.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The Shrink would be ehtically, possibly legally bound to not reveal a person who self admits child abuse, or even murder from decades ago. Basically the only time a shrink can go to the cops is if a person says "I intend to harm this person". If a patient could be reported for any previous criminal action they report to a shrink the industry would be a small fraction of its current size.

I dunno about the laws but it seems possible that because it was recorded in a session this might not be admissible. Never really heard of a case like this.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, there's a reason why most therapists don't record their sessions. It causes a TON of legality issues. How long do you keep the tapes? What if someone listens to/watches the tapes? Anything goes even slightly sideways and you've broken federal law. No bueno

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
how exactly is this child molestation? all he did was whip out his dick. most 12 year old girls have sucked at least a dick or three by that age these days. inappropriate, yes, but let's keep this in perspective.

j00t

how exactly is this child molestation? all he did was whip out his dick. most 12 year old girls have sucked at least a dick or three by that age these days. inappropriate, yes, but let's keep this in perspective.
Because it's fun to crucify people. But you're right, it's not molestation. It is sexual abuse though, and because it's a minor people go to defcon 4. The world loves a spectacle

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Lots of misinformation on reporting laws.

Therapists are mandated to reportongoing or futureabuse of a child, senior citizen, or other dependent adult. They are also mandated to report if they believe the client is an imminent danger to his-/herself or another person.

All other cases are protected by confidentiality. You can tell a therapist you murdered someone 10 minutes prior to the session, and unless they suspect you'll do it again, it's protected by confidentiality.

Source: I'm a clinical psychology grad student

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Lots of misinformation on reporting laws.

Therapists are mandated to reportongoing or futureabuse of a child, senior citizen, or other dependent adult. They are also mandated to report if they believe the client is an imminent danger to his-/herself or another person.

All other cases are protected by confidentiality. You can tell a therapist you murdered someone 10 minutes prior to the session, and unless they suspect you'll do it again, it's protected by confidentiality.

Source: I'm a clinical psychology grad student
This is pretty much dead on accurate.

Source: As a joke I grilled my last therapist about confidentiality and what all he was allowed/required to report about his clients, and he said the exact same thing.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
This is pretty much dead on accurate.

Source: As a joke I grilled my last therapist about confidentiality and what all he was allowed/required to report about his clients, and he said the exact same thing.

I thought even past abuse must be reported as the person could still be possibly around other children and a use them?

j00t

Nope, only if it's current. The not reporting of something that happened 10 minutes ago, as it's in the past wouldn't fly. That's current.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
If a therapist reasonably believes that the person is a danger to himself or others then he must report it. The point is moot anyway because the wife is the one who recorded Collins.

Dabamf_sl

shitlord
Nope, only if it's current. The not reporting of something that happened 10 minutes ago, as it's in the past wouldn't fly. That's current.
Maybe for child abuse, I don't know for sure. The child abuse stuff takes more liberties with confidentiality because of the power differemtial between adults and kids. But it's certainly not the case for danger to self or others. The only purpose of those exceptions to confidentiality are to prevent harm. If harm is already done, the purpose doesn't exist.

j00t

Yes, exactly. It's a little different for child abuse/neglect because if it happened yesterday, one can reasonably assume it will happen tonight. Of course that's a slippery slope so there are o there qualifiers involved. But its a HUGE red flag right then and there

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
That seems kind of like bullshit to say if it happened yesterday it could reasonably happen again, but because it happened multiple times over an undetermined time period some undetermined time period ago you couldn't say the same thing. I don't doubt that is the case for reporting, or something like that. It just seems kind of like a green light for person X to continue to fuck kids so long as it didn't happen within an arbitrary time period.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
so has this guy been charged with anything? i havent even seen Gloria "i hate men" Allred with one of these girls on TV talking about a lawsuit yet.

j00t

Well, if someone molested a child 10 years ago, and says they don't want to anymore and don't even have access to children, that's different then someone saying that last night he molested his daughter in her crib. Even if he says he doesnt want to do it again, he's potentially causing harm just being in the situation. The counselor has to evaluate each situation on its own merits.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
wooww I only remember watching a few episodes of 7th in its first season so it's pretty creepy that she went from
mackenzie_rosman_1232044996.jpg

To a softcore strip in that show.

edit haha it's even more fucked than Ithought. Family shows sure can get creepy when they last too long and instead of jumping sharks they make their toddler stars into sex objects.