DAOC: Origins - New Server

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Determination is an ability that reduces the duration of crowd control spells by something like 80%, I forget the exact number.

Charge makes you immune to crowd control and makes you run at speed 3.

Casters are completely pointless against charge groups as you just get steamrolled over, you can't crowd control them and they're faster than you. Even if you do get the drop on them first, Determination means your CC lasts 4 seconds and then they just hit charge and roll you anyways.

All 3 realms can run charge groups but I'm fairly certain that in 1.62 only Midgard got celerity buffs. Since Midgard has the highest-DPS melee classes to begin with and haste stacks exponentially in DAoC, they're probably doing double the DPS of everyone else.
This sounds fucking retarded -- why would a dev team pick this patch to release on? Also, another sign of massive Midgard pop imbalance is how many more bug reports Midgard's forum has on their site.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
He's overstating Charge. The issue with Charge is it is great if you aren't already CC'd. But as anyone who played DAOC knows you are going to get CC'd all the fucking time. So you need to combine Purge (remove the CC) with Charge to use it effectively. And that is a ton of RR. From my experience with 5 man gank grouping it is all about who gets the drop and places the AOE mez initially. That generally decides the battle from the get-go.

The biggest issue with Mid being the best gank group realm is the fact Healer gets AOE mez and AOE stun. I can't recall if the Healer also got the instant AOE mez or not.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
He's overstating Charge. The issue with Charge is it is great if you aren't already CC'd. But as anyone who played DAOC knows you are going to get CC'd all the fucking time. So you need to combine Purge (remove the CC) with Charge to use it effectively. And that is a ton of RR. From my experience with 5 man gank grouping it is all about who gets the drop and places the AOE mez initially. That generally decides the battle from the get-go.

The biggest issue with Mid being the best gank group realm is the fact Healer gets AOE mez and AOE stun. I can't recall if the Healer also got the instant AOE mez or not.
Yea, I rolled Midgard on DAOC release but no one really new how imba anything was. Healers are one of the most powerful classes I've ever seen in a pvp game. Massive CC, heals, run speed, clarity, buffs? You can build a group so easily with a good healer.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Didn't healers only have poor man speed? I thought Skald was the class giving real speed. But yeah they combined much you needed in a nice little package.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff

That's what Determination is for. Stun lasts less than half a second and mez lasts 4-5 with maxed out Det on a light tank.

Healers get AoE mez, AoE stun, and insta-cast versions of both. However that's all in Pacification spec and if they really manage to enforce the ban on buffbots I don't think you'll be seeing too many of those. You need an Aug-spec Healer for buffs and then if you run a Pac-spec Healer for CC you don't have any actual healers in your group.

The real problem is Healers grant Celerity and DAoC has directly additive percentage stacking of haste buffs. 250 Quickness gives you 80% base delay, and the regular haste buff is 20% which brings you down to 60% base delay. Healers get 20% Celerity which stacks bringing their melees down to 40% of base delay, or 150% the damage of everyone else. That's on top of the fact that Midgard's melee classes do more DPS baseline.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I thought they gave druids celerity. I loved the class design in daoc. But it was so imbalanced. obviously like everyone said midgard is especially op. But nobody had classes like daoc. Thuergists and necros and animists and bonedancers

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Yeah, healers had poor man's speed which required a concentration to even use. Most people brought along skalds for the speed. Concentration buffs were the only thing I hated about DAoC.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
I thought they gave druids celerity. I loved the class design in daoc. But it was so imbalanced. obviously like everyone said midgard is especially op. But nobody had classes like daoc. Thuergists and necros and animists and bonedancers
Druids have regular haste. Every realm gets multiple haste buffs, but different kinds of haste buff don't stack. Celerity stacks with haste which is why it's so good, and in 1.62 only Midgard gets it. They added it to Paladins and Wardens in 1.83.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Savages got big big benefits from buffs. I wish I had done screenshots of all the times I was killed in a single round by them. It really got old fast.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yea I don't think I'm gonna play in that patch. Just gonna be one big midgard zerg fest.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
This is one of the reasons I prefer servers like IPY3 when it comes to old MMOs. The people running it need to be willing to abandon the idea that it HAS to be just like it was on live. Because how it was on live was broken. Something that old school DAoC players are going to know and will exploit. Midgard will roll over everyone without some custom changes to the mechanics. I can understand wanting it to be as authentic as possible, but DAoC was FAR from perfect and it would be a mistake to just let the biggest imbalances go untouched. They don't have to aim for perfect balance. Part of the fun was the imbalances, but they can't destroy competition in the name of authenticity.

From origins forums

" Top wrote:Why are you guys talking about charge? That RA doesn't exist in old RAs................

EXACTLY!

Charge does not exist for light tanks in Old RA's. Casters will actually be able to do more then spend half a battle running from un-CC'able light tanks the whole fight. At the same time, though, hybrids like Reavers/Paladins/Thanes/Valewalker don't get Determination... so playing one of those will be a risky proposition.

And IIRC, Hib gets a group purge RR5 ability... game, set, match.

Every realm will have some OP combinations I would say."

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I miss my mordred minstrel
frown.png
Is anyone at all here going alb?

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I think the general consensus at this point is that this server isn't going to be worth bothering with. Terrible population and a deliberately picked patch to favor the creators' favorite realm.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I think the general consensus at this point is that this server isn't going to be worth bothering with. Terrible population and a deliberately picked patch to favor the creators' favorite realm.
I'm not sure this is true at all. The Left Axe nerfs are in place, DPS is fairly consistent, and overall I think this is a good patch to aim for overall.

Yes, Midgard will have an easier time, but if they really wanted it to roll they'd do it pre LA nerf. Midgard will have a simpler time with gank groups, but when is this not the case for DAOC, given the really bad design of healers.

Barab

Silver Knight of the Realm
rvr was never completely balanced and even if it was some players would find something about it to cry about.

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Where are you people getting this? I'm beginning to wonder if some of you even know what patch the server is running, or even played the game. 1.62 was the patch where midgard wept. It was a massive nerf to Left Axe damage (like 40%). Balanced alb and hib 8 mans were creating massive whines over their dominance at the time. Alb was the only realm with Bunker of Faith and Speed of Sound, two RA's that were ideal for fighting mid tank groups. The patch actually forced midgard to run some balanced groups. Hib had group purge and AM. Do you people seriously not remember the whines over BoF x 2 and group purge x2?

gox_sl

shitlord
Im rolling Hib just because mid will be the OP realm as usual and this is more for fun and not epeen. Anyone who is rolling there let me know.