DAOC: Origins - New Server

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Berserkers are better when they become bears (similar to Blademaster's deer mode). But, those modes are not vanilla and I think they're actually a little before Atlantis or even during. Warrior won't be doing much in PvP if that's what you're hoping to do.
This server is running the Left Axe nerf patch (pretty major LA damage nerf). Berserk is in, but I believe it's the nerfed crit damage one (1-99% dmg instead of 49-99%). Bladesmasters didn't have the deer mode, they had triple wield. The hib tank (hero) had the stag mode which increased health. Warrior is one of the most solid melee classes in all of DAOC in both PVE and PvP. Every decent group runs at least one warrior in mid, and they do fantastic damage (don't need to spec 1h/2h, just weapon type). With 1.62 I'd actually suggest a savage if you want to play a mid light tank and have a solid set group. They are pretty horrible without dedicated heals though.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Yeah looks like its old school. You dont start as classes, still have to do the mage/acololyte/fighter etc.. chain. Doubt there will be trainers for those classes.

I think theres an issue right now because player counts been at 13 for hours, Youd think so close to launch people would be logging in to test stuff. I would but cant so messing around on uth instead

Fierlen

Trakanon Raider
If it is in fact Old Frontiers and the Old RA's, everyone may as well play a melee without a very solid dedicated group. Almost every solid 8 man group around that time would run 3 light tanks (Mercenary, Berserker, Blademaster and maybe Savage) due to Determination and Charge. If you aren't in a dedicated bomb group and you still feel the need to play a caster, create one of the caster classes which can cast Nearsight. It had no cure during 1.62, it interrupts, casts fast and has a much greater range than basically any other spell in the game. Casters were mainly there only in a solid 8 man group for interrupts and Nearsight was your best tool unless the bugged insta-cast spells which interrupted are included.

If you decide to play Albion and Necromancers are playable, some of the spells are considered to be cast by a mob rather than a player due to the way that the DoT works. Cast the Necromancer DoT on an opposing caster and it will permanently interrupt for around 24 seconds since it interrupted each tick.

Just some things I remember from playing around that time for what it is worth.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
I was Kharzette the friar on galahad in hoss. o/

I am old and senile and forget people but your names sound familiar, and I certainly remember Stout.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Yeah, if they're running 1.62, play Midgard. Caster groups are useless because you can't CC det/charge light tanks or even slow them down at all, and Midgard has the best melee classes. If I remember correctly in this patch Midgard has celerity but the other realms don't have it at all, which means their melees do probably double the damage of all the other melees.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
From their forums:

"The Origins staff are not opponents of customization, however, our goal is to make our server as live like as possible in the area of Realm vs Realm (RvR). For RvR purposes, we have selected patch 1.62 as the target patch. We want our Realm Abilities (RAs) to be true to patch 1.62. We want our class abilities to be true to 1.62. If you, our valued testers, find class abilities, or RAs or gear to NOT be true to patch 1.62, PLEASE DO REPORT IT!"

I actually might try Hib, because I never played there at ALL.

det/charge light tanks
Translation?

Also, for those who get stuck at the end of the loading screen, probably forgot to patch the game with their patcher like i did, which u get just under the client download link.

Once they got their launcher running this wont be necessary but it is till then

Duppin_sl

shitlord
So, got in and played this some tonight.

At least as far as Hibernia goes, it's definitely not ready for prime time. Lots of quests broken or in the wrong language, missing horse routes, etc.

The gameplay seems alright but it's hard to tell for sure.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
IIRC the issue with Armsman is that they were the worst of the three tanks in the game. I can't remember everything but I thought it was common to spec up to 50 in poles and then 50 in pierce (or slash?) so you weren't left with many points to put into the defensive aspects. I also recall them having some of the worse styles. I'm pretty sure Hero was the best RvR tank thanks to the 50 LW style that did a 9sec stun (basically Bard would AoE Mez then the hero would just 50 LW the mezzer, then healer then you just fight a completely one-sided fight) and the Warrior (or whatever Mid's tank was) was by far the best PvE tank because he had access to 1H and 2H weapons down a single line. So you could spec heavily in both weapon and shield.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Savage? That does not sound like original DAoC to me. I don't even recognize that class.

I guess Galahad had many of the classes that people are saying sucked. We had one specific polearmsman and sorcerer from the same guild (Hoss or Stout, one of the two) and they wrecked several groups. LeftAxe was OP. Scouts were OP because they pretty much one-shot casters. Anything rogue were OP (especially midgard's rogue) because they would stay stealth after assassination.

Though, it sounds like this server is not running classic and they will probably be opening all of the classes from the get go. That's a pass for me, lol.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Savage was a SI class for midguard. DAOC up to SI + old frontiers would be perfect imo.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
That's probably why. I want classic DAoC.
frown.png
I don't mind progression. But, I want it purely classic.

Tenks

SI made leveling to max much, much better. There are tons more quests to do in SI compared to classic and none of the expansion classes really modified RvR too much.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
I will admit though, SI had some of the most beautiful environments I've ever seen in a game. Actually, most of the PvE in SI were also incredibly difficult if I remembered correctly.

Tenks

There were some pretty cool and somewhat difficult dungeons in SI, yes. It was a very, very well done expansion. Mythic should have just realized that players want content like that instead of ToA. I think outside of a few weapons the "best" items in the game was still MP + Enchanted gear for RvR.

Xequecal

Trump's Staff
Translation?

Also, for those who get stuck at the end of the loading screen, probably forgot to patch the game with their patcher like i did, which u get just under the client download link.

Once they got their launcher running this wont be necessary but it is till then
Determination is an ability that reduces the duration of crowd control spells by something like 80%, I forget the exact number.

Charge makes you immune to crowd control and makes you run at speed 3.

Casters are completely pointless against charge groups as you just get steamrolled over, you can't crowd control them and they're faster than you. Even if you do get the drop on them first, Determination means your CC lasts 4 seconds and then they just hit charge and roll you anyways.

All 3 realms can run charge groups but I'm fairly certain that in 1.62 only Midgard got celerity buffs. Since Midgard has the highest-DPS melee classes to begin with and haste stacks exponentially in DAoC, they're probably doing double the DPS of everyone else.