DAOC: Origins - New Server

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Now to install this crap, because its not a easy "click, download and install", shit is asking me for game.dll that doesn't exist etc.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Well open up the DAOC client and let it install the game. You can't have a game.dll from just downloading the installer.

Download the patch. Install that

Download the launcher, select the game.dll and you should be done unless you have to update your mysql

I'll probably dick around with this once it goes live. If I go alb I'll likely go inf.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ah ok that was it then, I started the client and went to patch but it was stating live and given my previous experience with EMUs that is a big no no, so I just stopped it :p

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Their instructions could be a little better for sure.

Server looks good though assuming they get the pop

sdfLURK_sl

shitlord
I'll go be going a hib Mentalist. - Dokupuffs if anyone wants to chat and / or group. Getting this server to work was a lot of effort but I finally got it going, it just pissed me off that after going through the trainwreck launches of Shogun 2 / BF4 that I had to go through this bullshit - i'll hang in for a while and see how it goes.

Arkael

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm getting massive graphical lag despite the fact I have a pretty modern system. Nearly unplayable. Whenever I try to turn around in circles and look in other directions the FPS drops down to nothing. Turned all the graphics settings to low as possible, no difference. Weird. All updated drivers, too, brand new Windows installation as of a few weeks ago.
Anyone have any ideas about this? Their forums dont seem to, googlefu is failing me too. Pretty unplayable.

Kharza-kzad_sl

shitlord
Hmm offhand only thing I could think of is maybe an overlapping window crossing two monitors? A lot of games have an off by one error in their screen rects that cause a little bit of overlap (forces a frame buffer copy across the bus to the other device). Wild guess, but try killing one monitor and see if it goes away.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I'm torn between Scout, Theurgist, and Friar. Yes, I understand none of those are "desired" classes but I've never been one to go down the road less traveled. I played a Minstrel for a year and a half after release but these were three I was always interested in as an alternative..
Scout is a great class, but tougher to level so I'd make that your second. Friar can solo and group very well. They are nice in groups too. Ditto with Theurgist. Scout will probably be my second character after my Sorcerer.

There are no wrong classes, unless you are trying to make an optimal gank group which I'm not personally too worried about.

Does anyone know if they're using the current DAoC interface or if they actually found a way to force the interface from way back then? There's a lot of stuff enabled by the new interface that you couldn't do with the old. Swapping from S/S to 2H with one button press is the most important one I can think of.
They are using the current interface.

Their instructions could be a little better for sure.

Server looks good though assuming they get the pop
The instructions and installer really should be fixed. The patcher didn't work replacing the game.dll for me, so I had to manually do that.

Server population is my biggest concern. Without enough pople, RVR will be awful. My brief time playing in Midgard on beta never had more than a dozen people online.

Origin

Molten Core Raider
Server population is my biggest concern. Without enough pople, RVR will be awful. My brief time playing in Midgard on beta never had more than a dozen people online.
Yep. This is my biggest concern also. Anyways, working hard to spread the word.

Thinking of rolling a wizard. Maybe a merc, if i feel like going melee. Albion either way.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Anyone have any ideas about this? Their forums dont seem to, googlefu is failing me too. Pretty unplayable.
I just asked on the forum again too.

I think we just have incompatible video cards, even though we have computers that way outclass DAOC. There's probably some kind of setting that could be changed, but I dunno what.

Edit:

Granted I wasn't on very long because it was almost unplayable for me, but it didn't seem like that many people were playing, at least around 7 PM. I think the launcher said like 60 people were playing. Did it get much busier later? Maybe the launcher number wasn't accurate.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I think if they can get about 100 per realm, that'd be a good start. More than likely they'll be 50 in Alb, 75 in Mid, and about 5 in Hibs.

gox_sl

shitlord
Hmm. Gonna be interesting to see how many people actually play.
Yeah so far it was pretty underwhelming in terms of player count. A lot is still broke and RVR for me was a bunch of "gumbys" sliding around, though it probably doesn't help the server is overseas but all the pve is fine in terms of lag, just rvr was pretty awful. My OG daoc memory is fuzzy but i dont remember it being this odd in terms of how mobs function/are etc and that isn't even getting into all the broken quests, broken npcs, and lack of translations.

This is more of a walk down memory lane than a game i could actually be serious about.

Reiker

Golden Knight of the Realm
Damn, what caused this sudden shift from Midgard to Albion? Was gonna play with you guys, but don't think I can abandon Midgard.

Duppin_sl

shitlord
I *think* a lot of people are waiting until after the wipe, so as not to waste their time on a character that's going to poof anyway. We'll have to see what the pop numbers are like after it goes live.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Damn, what caused this sudden shift from Midgard to Albion? Was gonna play with you guys, but don't think I can abandon Midgard.
I am down for Alb because it is what I hope to be steady groups and with a larger Midgard pop RvR should be busy.

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
It would be neat if you played with everyone else but this is a Rerolled/FoH group so there is a good chance 80-90% will vanish in the first week. Play what you want.

I, like others, worry about population. I don't need 5k players but I do think 50 people might be a little low. I think 30+ players in each faction would be super and anything over that will just make it better. I hope people show/sign up. I have never played daoc but I have been fucking thirsty and can not wait for the 16th.