Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3...

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I enjoyed DS2 but it wasn't made by FromSoft themselves and it shows. The pacing is definitely different between the 2 games in some areas including the start but if you can power through it I think it gets a lot better. I forget which attribute but one of them directly increases your number of I frames, bump that stat up a bit and it gets a lot less clunky feeling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

nu_11

Skip DS2 imo. Waste of fucking time.

People will try to convince you how the game gets so much better, but the controls and gameplay are still shit in the DLC. The only the DLC improve upon is the level design and weapon variety which are not the core issues of DS2

• 1Worf

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
DS2 isn't on the level of 1 or 3, but it's still a damn good game and better than any non From soulslikes

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Talos

I liked DS2 but if you're having an awful time I would just skip to DS3. The "story" in these games is very obscure so it's not like you would be missing anything in that regard.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed DS2 but it wasn't made by FromSoft themselves and it shows. The pacing is definitely different between the 2 games in some areas including the start but if you can power through it I think it gets a lot better. I forget which attribute but one of them directly increases your number of I frames, bump that stat up a bit and it gets a lot less clunky feeling.
You can tell DS2 suffers from having bad level design. DS1/3 and the rest of the Fromsoft games have amazing level design. The way they funnel you into these views and perspectives of the levels, looking back at where you've been and eventually getting to that little thing in the distance you saw near the start, the shortcuts to tie in sprawling areas and the little secrets.

I still love DS2 but its the most non-fromsoft fromsoft game

Break

You can tell DS2 suffers from having bad level design. DS1/3 and the rest of the Fromsoft games have amazing level design. The way they funnel you into these views and perspectives of the levels, looking back at where you've been and eventually getting to that little thing in the distance you saw near the start, the shortcuts to tie in sprawling areas and the little secrets.

I still love DS2 but its the most non-fromsoft fromsoft game
Yeah DS2 has a different feel from the rest. Almost like it's Super Mario Bros 2. It's still dark souls, but the atmosphere is completely different. I thought DS2 was extremely melancholic/relaxing.

I recently started playing through Bloodborne after 5+ years and I must say, wow, this game has really held up. The combat system is I think on par with Elden Ring or even superior, the trick weapon system with guns is just so satisfying. The setting and story is right up there with Elden Ring too, maybe even better. On PS5 30 FPS is decent as frame time is very consistent so while it's not 60 fps, it's easy to overlook as it runs at a locked 30 fps for the most part.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So recently I played through DSR. It was my first time playing any of the souls games. Elden Ring was my first FromSoft game.

Anyway, I found my play through to be very frustrating and then very rewarding. The worst part was when I managed to get stuck in the Tomb of Giants at a very low level. I was weak and and had no light source and it literally took me 10 hours of gameplay to get the fuck out. It is the closest to feeling like Helen Keller I have and ever will experience in my life. At one point I contemplated quitting or at least rerolling, but my pride and ego pushed me through.

So after I beat that DSR I started DSII, and this game just fucking sucks in comparison to DSR. The controls feel so different from DSR and ER that I honestly want to quit and just play DS3. Its funny how I feel this need to beat DS2 at least once for one of because of this this weird idea in my head that I have to experience it because reasons. Like my gaming resume really matters, it is a weird almost fomo feeling. I guess the GitGud really calls at me deep down.

So basically I am torn, should I just power through DS2? or should I just move on to DS3? or should I play Lords of the Fallen because it just launched and playing games at launch at the same time as board members is really fun?

Souls 2 is pretty good as it goes on, but you can tell it was made by the Fromsoft B-Team. Make sure you have the Scholar of the First Sin version.

I wouldn't "power through" it because it's kind of long. It's something you don't rush IMO. Personally I'm fine with it but if you aren't you might want to cut your losses.

If you stick with it, level Adaptability (IIRC), the one that raises AGI stat. That's what determines your roll effectiveness. I think AGI needs to be around 110 for rolls to be as good as they are in the other Souls games, and 120+ rolls are actually better than the other games (I may have the numbers a bit wrong)

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am sticking it out for now. Just killed the Purseuer this morning. Those giant Crossbows/Ballistas sure came in handy.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
DS2 has the ice castle dlc which might be my favorite area in the whole series and the other dlc which has the fume knight boss which everyone should get their ass kicked by at least 20 times.

• 1Like

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I recently started playing through Bloodborne after 5+ years and I must say, wow, this game has really held up. The combat system is I think on par with Elden Ring or even superior, the trick weapon system with guns is just so satisfying. The setting and story is right up there with Elden Ring too, maybe even better. On PS5 30 FPS is decent as frame time is very consistent so while it's not 60 fps, it's easy to overlook as it runs at a locked 30 fps for the most part.
I want to like Bloodborne but have only played it on ps4 slim and the 30fps kills it for me every time. Maybe made it to like boss 3 or 4 or 5 can't really remember. I really really hope they do PC release of Bloodborne, they'd be mad not to honestly.

• 1WTF

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
DS2 has the ice castle dlc which might be my favorite area in the whole series and the other dlc which has the fume knight boss which everyone should get their ass kicked by at least 20 times.

DS2's DLCs are awesome. Well, Sunken King is merely good, but I thought the fire and ice DLCs were probably better than the main game.

My theory is that the Ivory King DLC was a repurposing of the snow lands in the scrapped 6th Archstone of Demon Souls. Which might explain why it's so good, if they're reusing something the A-Team didn't finish.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
That run through the snow and fight against the two invisible cats were in the worst zone in any Souls game

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I want to like Bloodborne but have only played it on ps4 slim and the 30fps kills it for me every time. Maybe made it to like boss 3 or 4 or 5 can't really remember. I really really hope they do PC release of Bloodborne, they'd be mad not to honestly.

Probably depends on whatever the contract is. From is pretty firm about being done with a game when they're done with a game, but if a 3rd party can do it then that's probably the only chance

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That run through the snow and fight against the two invisible cats were in the worst zone in any Souls game

Yeah the ice castle itself is the good part. The snow plain with the cats seems unfinished, or like an overextended boss run.

The ice DLC has 3 bosses and 3 main sections, just like a Demon Souls archstone. I bet they also used some of that scrapped area in the Painted World (Souls 1) and the Mountaintop of the Giants (ER), since the 6th Archstone was supposed to be the frozen land of the giants.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Um, has FromSoft gone woke? My male character suddenly has tits...WTF?

1697686024681.png

• 1WTF