Dark Souls 2

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, you have to fill their poison meter before it takes effect. It's just like when you're running through the swamp and the bar fills up before you actually get poisoned.

regret_sl

shitlord
Indeed, that's what I told him. He said he shot a dozen or so and it wasn't doing dick. I'll have to test it out myself later.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This is the only game I've played in the last 5 years that makes me think about strategies when I'm sleeping. SHIT

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
DS2 is one of the games that'd be fun to play at release because this thread will be full of tears and new information. OTOH if you play it months after release you can look things up if you get stuck. But if you want to go in blind it really doesn't matter.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Tough call, the PC version of Dark Souls was a mess until some user-created patches fixed various problems. Hopefully the developer has learned from their mistakes the first time around.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Tough call, the PC version of Dark Souls was a mess until some user-created patches fixed various problems. Hopefully the developer has learned from their mistakes the first time around.
They did stress they are giving PC version equal attention this time and it will be releases "shortly" after console version. My complaint with Demon Souls was no in game VOIP, if they fix that it would be good times on PS3 with friends. Being able to play support role(tank/pointman/torch bitch) would be good times.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Wasn't the fix released by that user within hours of the PC launch or something?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They did stress they are giving PC version equal attention this time and it will be releases "shortly" after console version. My complaint with Demon Souls was no in game VOIP, if they fix that it would be good times on PS3 with friends. Being able to play support role(tank/pointman/torch bitch) would be good times.
I doubt any Souls game will ever support communication. They don't even really want you to be able to pick who you bring into your game, let alone be able to talk to them.

My plan is to get it from GameFly on PS3 to see if they fixed the things I hated about DkS (and the DkS2 beta, sadly), and then buy it for PC. Right away if it's what I wanted, otherwise months later when it's on sale.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The archers were definitely a bitch, I'll give you that. Given the size and scope of the game however it is quite easy to overlook that bullshit and laugh about it afterwords. Best part of this thread is everyone chimes in with those fucking archers.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I am glad I held on to my PS3 upstairs. I just cancelled my Xbox 360 Gold Sub, and with PS3 free with online, that will be the obvious choice for this game since it isn't coming out for next gen systems.

And to echo others, this is definitely one of those launch games you want to be a part of. The anguish is hilariously awesome. And it helps knowing others on the forum are in just as much pain as you are haha. Depending on how long it is between PC and PS3, I won't want to miss out.

This is a game where I wish I could have Dark Souls Sunday Ticket and have 8 screens of different people playing watching as they slam controllers into the ground.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I am strongly considering the purchase of proper streaming hardware for this game. Fun to watch games are very rare and this one of them.

Phaenos_sl

shitlord
Also, did I hear they made that King's Field or whatever PSX game was? I remember that game being incredibly difficult, and if they made it that's awesome.
A little late to the answer on this question, but yeah - From Soft definitely made the King's Field line of games. I played the hell of that series during the early Playstation years. Dark and oppressive atmosphere, challenging and unforgiving difficulty, no clear path or direction with extremely limited in-game maps. It was one of the first times in a game where I would explore new areas and feel as though I could be killed at any moment (or fall into a pit or something, with no idea how on earth to get back to where I just was). I haven't played them in forever so I don't know if they've aged well, but I recognized the genius of those games early on and they really paved the road for what would become the principle design philosophies in today's Souls' games.

In the same way that Dark Souls was a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls - many consider Demon's Souls to have been a spiritual successor to the King's Field series.

Heck read the synopsis of the titles on wikipedia and you might even think you were reading about other "souls" games:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King's_Field_(series)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I remember it now. I bought a King's Field game for PSX because I thought the cover looked cool. I remember them not really telling you much and tossing you into an open world. Game was difficult as shit too.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Hardest part of Kings Field is the fact it took an entire memory card to save one game, forced to delete all my saved games or buy a new one was balls.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know what you mean, have you ever played the game a second time? I don't think any death in darksouls is cheap, once you understand the game systems. Learning the areas and making mistakes is part of learning the game - that's the fun. Which deaths in Dark souls to you were unavoidable by player skill/knowledge/ability?
That run on the Anor Londo ledge vs two Silver knight archers is cheap. Most of the time the knights die, they actually fall off themselves.

Anor Londo archers are definitely one of the cheapest encounters in any game ever. But I felt that they and the Capra Demon were the only examples of overly cheap mobs. Felt good out-cheaping the Capra Demon though.
You mean because of the dogs? The demon itself is perfectly fine