Dark Souls 2

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah. Miyazaki didn't lead the development because his team was doing Bloodborne.

Miyazaki's story is frigging amazing, by the way. Dude left Oracle in his late twenties/early 30s to join From with no experience in games development, took over the flagging development of Demon Souls, which was going to be cut because the game was going nowhere, completely rebuilt the game from the ground up, followed it up with Dark Souls 1, and now is the president of the company.

Demon's Souls was Eurogamer.net
I hope he continues giving us his magic, he pretty much saved console gaming for me.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Ok so at first I didn't think this durability bug thing was a big deal, but the way corpses affect durability really pisses me off. I don't mind managing my durability when every hit I inflict on an enemy is roughly .3-1 durability lost. But when I accidentally keep swinging, or when there's a stack of 3-4 guys who die at different times, and all of a sudden my weapon goes from 20/50 to 0/50 because I hit a few corpses a couple of times... fuck that shit.

It's honestly just the fact that hitting an enemy is .3-1 dura lost, and hitting a corpse is like 5 dura lost. What the actual fuck. I could handle corpses causing dura if it was still the same amount as if the thing were still alive.

So they said they aren't going to patch this?

Column_sl

shitlord
Does anyone know if you can turn the combat queing off? Let me explain.

If I hit with heavy attack, and while the animation is going off I hit light attack that light attack will go off as soon as the heavy animation stops.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is it possible that the durability bug isn't actually a bug but an intended feature/design change? It's such an obvious difference and change from vanilla that I'm having a hard time believing that this is a "whoops we broke it" kind of thing. I mean Scholar of the First Sin should probably be called DS2 Director's Cut. The whole game received a touch up (as far as I can tell) in terms of NPC placement and level design (more statues requiring fragrant branches to progress, etc). Something as game changing as the durability of weapons degrading twice as fast seems like it's probably intentional too.

You can explain corpses removing disproportionately large chunks of durability as them discouraging you from R1 spamming, but that's admittedly pretty shaky.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It's such an obvious difference and change from vanilla that I'm having a hard time believing that this is a "whoops we broke it" kind of thing.
Not sure what you mean, the whole reason everyone knew to look for the durability bullshit the moment SotFS was released is because of how retarded it was in vanilla DkS2 on PC at 60fps.

That said, the code did change. Fairly interesting readhereabout how SotFS is different from vanilla, and arguably even more retarded. It helps if you have some knowledge of x86 assembler, but he does a pretty good job of explaining what the code does and what he changes to fix it. Basically, From poked around in the durability code, maybe to try to fix it, though there's no evidence of anything that remotely looks like the durability damage modified by the current framerate (likethis). The end result is that all they managed to do is make durability damage apply twice. So now 30 fps is as bad as 60 fps on PC was in vanilla, and 60 fps is four times as bad as the original PS3/360 game. Even if you accept that the durability lossrateis intended, there's still the issue that it's tied to the physics engine and the moment something ragdolls, durability damage starts getting applied on every single frame of animation.

Unless they undid the nerfs to it the damage on santiers is trash tier.
They didn't. Santier's got trashed because PVP faggots cried their endless river of tears, and it's still the same now according to wikis. That patch was the last time I played DkS2.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I hit with heavy attack, and while the animation is going off I hit light attack that light attack will go off as soon as the heavy animation stops.
I believe the delay between a heavy followed by a light attack is intended, for god knows what reason. As with them refusing to fix the durability glitch, it's pretty damn hard to understand these people at all.

Column_sl

shitlord
Yeah, but I mean it actually ques it up like something you would do in world of warcraft. It gets me killed quite abit =(

The other thing I hate, is if a mob sees you,and is in a swinging animation they can literally slide all the way to you from across the room.

The game is quite frustrating.

Vorph

Raw is better than nerfed mundane but still terrible compared to any decent weapon. I can see making one and carrying it around just in case every other weapon you have breaks and you forgot to restock on powder, but as a primary weapon? That'd be insane.

Vorph

No, so it's still not much of a solution for katanas and other low dur weapons. It doesn't fully repair the weapon either, so it's pretty expensive to use until you get to the point where souls no longer matter.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I read your link and I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone would tie anything to your frame rate, makes absolutely zero sense in any type of situation.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I read your link and I'm just having a hard time understanding why anyone would tie anything to your frame rate, makes absolutely zero sense in any type of situation.
I don't know programming. Is it maybe easier to tie it to frames when frames is a fixed constant of 30 per second?