Dark Souls 2

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So there is a neogaf thread dedicated to how much of a graphics downgrade DS2 is compared to what was shown in the trailers. Is it really that bad? Those pics are just...
Well the review did mention that the dynamic lighting in the game was nearly gone (compared to earlier builds). Much brighter than it used to be, and probably brighter than it is supposed to be considering how many areas you are supposed to be able to light up, which is pointless now. There is also a much more noticeable blur effect when you move compared to trailers.

However, From Software said that this time they have had a major focus on the PC version, since the last version was well known for being a sub optimal port. Maybe the trailers are from the PC version. Considering how old the PS3 and 360 are now, it would make sense that the PC version will have substantially better graphics compared to them unlike PC vs PS4/XBone. It would then also make sense to make the trailers based on the best looking product.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's been a little rough considering I was playing DS1 before this on PC with the Microsoft Xbox controller, and now I'm using the PS3 one.

Barely played, but man do these cliffs keep jumping out in front of me.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Well the review did mention that the dynamic lighting in the game was nearly gone (compared to earlier builds). Much brighter than it used to be, and probably brighter than it is supposed to be considering how many areas you are supposed to be able to light up, which is pointless now. There is also a much more noticeable blur effect when you move compared to trailers.
I think it's pretty obvious that From ran into some performance issues that they absolutely could not solve, and they ended up ripping out most of their lighting model in order to fix it. Seems to be nothing but point lights everywhere now, and the overall ambient light level was jacked way up to compensate for it.

Lenas is right too though, the beta lighting was all kinds of fucked up. The whole game was way too dark and messing around with gamma didn't do much to fix it.

Hopefully the PC version has a proper deferred lighting model with SSAO and all the other stuff you'd expect.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
The archer npcs in this game all have eagle eye it seems. Their range is insane.

I also need better armor, because getting staggered for 5 seconds by a lil arrow isn't cutting it.

(Not far in, only 3 hours, not even killed a boss, can't focus for too long as I have a damned eye infection.)

EDIT: It might be due to people haven't turned into asses yet with the game being so new, but the writings on the ground are surprisingly helpful in this game. Encountered two doors that were locked, both with messages to attack the doors. One door broke, and when I attacked the other, the mobs on the other side aggroed and opened the door for me. Started attacking every locked door I see now.

Do you get something when your message gets rated?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I suck so bad at this game. Been dying so much. Played a Deprived and joined some Covenant at the top of the town that said it was for masochists. Healths been sitting at around 50% because I die so often. Barely made a dent in progress. Only played for 2 hours..

I fucking love it.

Balin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Gotta say they did an amazing job making it just different enough from DS1 to still be hard for veterans. I beat DS1 with two different SL1 toons and was feeling pretty cocky. Dozens of DS2 deaths later, I have been stripped of all ego.

I'm not very far in, but framerate on PS3 seems just fine. I haven't noticed any chugging at all, yet. I'd been playing heavily modded Skyrim on PC for the past month. After getting used to that, the graphics seemed like ass, but I expected that on an ancient console. And after a couple hours of getting used to them, they're fine. I'll probably pick up the PC version though, assuming it's a marked improvement graphically.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I suck so bad at this game. Been dying so much. Played a Deprived and joined some Covenant at the top of the town that said it was for masochists. Healths been sitting at around 50% because I die so often. Barely made a dent in progress. Only played for 2 hours..

I fucking love it.
I had never been so happy in my life to find a short sword.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had never been so happy in my life to find a short sword.
I was never more happy than the moment I laid my eyes on a broken short sword.

I have the pre-order weapon pack. Not sure if all starting classes are like this, but you need to put some time into levelling before you can even equip one of the shields, the weapons take even longer.Just Deprived Things..

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The archer npcs in this game all have eagle eye it seems. Their range is insane.

I also need better armor, because getting staggered for 5 seconds by a lil arrow isn't cutting it.

(Not far in, only 3 hours, not even killed a boss, can't focus for too long as I have a damned eye infection.)

EDIT: It might be due to people haven't turned into asses yet with the game being so new, but the writings on the ground are surprisingly helpful in this game. Encountered two doors that were locked, both with messages to attack the doors. One door broke, and when I attacked the other, the mobs on the other side aggroed and opened the door for me. Started attacking every locked door I see now.

Do you get something when your message gets rated?
in DS1 Archers had massive poise break, I don't think it will be any different in DS2. The only winning move is not to get hit.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
am i missing something on item comparing? when i go to a merchant and want to buy armor, it gives me the armor stats, but it does not show how it will change my current stats. It just shows the stats of that armor.
Weapons seems to show a comparison, but armor does not. Am i missing something or do i have to leave merchant go back into my inventory, memorize my stats, go back to merchant and compare....
Note: I'm only about 2 hours into the game.. will probably start over now that i'm familiar with the controls again.

Balin

am i missing something on item comparing? when i go to a merchant and want to buy armor, it gives me the armor stats, but it does not show how it will change my current stats. It just shows the stats of that armor.
Weapons seems to show a comparison, but armor does not. Am i missing something or do i have to leave merchant go back into my inventory, memorize my stats, go back to merchant and compare....
Note: I'm only about 2 hours into the game.. will probably start over now that i'm familiar with the controls again.
You're not missing anything. Lots of people complaining about this. Hopefully it gets fixed in a patch.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The only winning move is not to get hit.
This reminded me of the robot voice in Wargames for some reason.

"The only winning move is.... not to play"

Which is how I felt last night after 15 deaths. But... I am begging for more.

I really hope we see more games like this. Challenging, trollish at the same time "Here join my convenant, which you have no idea what it does, but it just made the game twice as hard - Moohaha Jokes on you"

Awesome
smile.png

Balin

"Here join my convenant, which you have no idea what it does, but it just made the game twice as hard - Moohaha Jokes on you"
The Crestfallen Warrior dude tells you it's going to make things harder, though he doesn't give specifics.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
This reminded me of the robot voice in Wargames for some reason.

"The only winning move is.... not to play"

Which is how I felt last night after 15 deaths. But... I am begging for more.

I really hope we see more games like this. Challenging, trollish at the same time "Here join my convenant, which you have no idea what it does, but it just made the game twice as hard - Moohaha Jokes on you"

Awesome
smile.png
Kind of funny how this franchise of games have so many features that I want added (back) to MMOs.

No maps, no hand holding, death penalties and risk vs reward. Rewards and punishes exploration equally as well as giving actual feelings while playing it, both "Noooooooo!" and "Yeeeeeeeeees!".