Dark Souls 3

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you are looking to min/max then lookup weapons, but just upgrade whatever weapon feels good and you can beat the game/see everything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I started playing this yesterday, myself. Also new to the DS series and it was gifted to me by a friend so its on my PS4. A lot of the stuff was explained in the early area by the red marks on the ground. Some of which I could see being missed easily. Things like locking onto targets, parrying, equipping items etc.

I refuse to look up spoilers for the bosses myself as well. But yes, I do agree that some parts of the character management system could really use more explanation. With that said, that is the stuff that Ive been looking up. One of the first things I looked up was what one of the boss shards was for. It didnt seem logical to give me thousands of souls and then a shard for 2 or 3k. Finding out that they give you gear from a guy that you can easily miss in shrine was a nice surprise though. Another thing is after upgrading weapons, there doesnt appear to be a way to tell if a new weapon is going to end up being better after upgrading it than the old one. Am I missing something?

Overall a great game. A challenge that I havent had in quite a while. Most games that are difficult, Im struggling with the UI or controls. But they feel solid on the PS4 so anytime I mess up, I know that its because I didnt think it through properly. The story bleeds through a little bit, but its probably one of my only complaints about the game. I really have no idea why Im killing the lords. Or why Im dead or "unkindled" etc. etc.

** Oh, and the Fire Gem is garbage. It removes base scaling and attribute scaling for only fire damage. The Dark Gem hes talking about gets rid of base scaling, adds dark damage in its place, switches primary stats from str and dex to int and faith scaling. Very nice gem for your playstyle.
This is how dark souls typically is. It's as if you, today, were dropped into this world with. O recollection of why. Story typically comes from npcs and item descriptions. Also you're on the 4th game in the series so familiar things aren't familiar to you.

As for upgrading, if you're talking about just doing +1 to a weapon you should see stats. If you're talking about other stuff you have to compare them old school style.

What of suggest is finding a weapon you like the moveset on and upgrade that through, that's what I usually do. You can beat the game with any weapon imaginable anyways.

The lack of explanation is part of the experience, it's supposed to be reminiscent of games of olde with all the mystery and stuff.

Also, the saving boss souls thing sort of gets explained the first time you see a weapon for sale. I myself find those to be more for vanity or flavor, but some people enjoy them.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Irithyll of Boreal Valley is murdering me. Everything up until now has been a relative cake walk. Ive been frozen at this guy for a couple hours now. Im fully equipped with Cathedreal Armor, and a Curse Ward Greatshield: 76% weight. Most stats in str/hitpoints/endurance/weight. Do I need to leave and go farm dex so I can use a spear and equip light armor so I can just dodge around him? Hes so fast and it just seems like he never gives me a break to even heal. Do I need to find something with Riposte? Whats the best advice here? I used an Ember and summoned the only guy I had talked to, but he was worthless.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is your playstyle just sword/shield?

76% weight is too high and you'll have what's known as a fat roll - essentially the shittiest dodge you can get.

I forget the weight breakpoints but I went for the lowest one so that I had fast rolls. It's something to do with the amount of iframes you can dodge through.

That curse ward great shield definitely isn't helping here

Fedor

<Banned>
Irithyll of Boreal Valley is murdering me. Everything up until now has been a relative cake walk. Ive been frozen at this guy for a couple hours now. Im fully equipped with Cathedreal Armor, and a Curse Ward Greatshield: 76% weight. Most stats in str/hitpoints/endurance/weight. Do I need to leave and go farm dex so I can use a spear and equip light armor so I can just dodge around him? Hes so fast and it just seems like he never gives me a break to even heal. Do I need to find something with Riposte? Whats the best advice here? I used an Ember and summoned the only guy I had talked to, but he was worthless.

get below 70% equip load

the next fastest roll is below 30%

• 1Like

Daidraco

I knew the weight ratio was messing up my roll, but I didnt know it was also connected to stamina regeneration. Should have been a "duh" moment for me, I guess. 11 Points of Vitality more isnt too bad though.

(The Shield I can probably switch out, but I hate not having the benefits of it.)

Fedor

<Banned>
you can get a normal weight (easily below 10) 100% physical damage reduction shield and use that instead of the 17 weight curse ward greatshield

Daidraco

Ive seen that. I guess Im referring to Poise, maybe? Not sure. I ran into a small wall with the Abyssal Watchers without the shield and fell in love with it as soon as I used it there. My block just stopped him in his tracks and made the fight end in about 20 seconds.

I went down a little rabbit hole when I started researching shields, which brought me to armor. Plenty of stuff on the web is saying that heavy armor, although poise is great, just isnt worth it. Thoughts? Those videos have me thinking I just need to yank out about half of my Vitality and distribute it elsewhere and go with the 30% weight ratio.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ive seen that. I guess Im referring to Poise, maybe? Not sure. I ran into a small wall with the Abyssal Watchers without the shield and fell in love with it as soon as I used it there. My block just stopped him in his tracks and made the fight end in about 20 seconds.

I went down a little rabbit hole when I started researching shields, which brought me to armor. Plenty of stuff on the web is saying that heavy armor, although poise is great, just isnt worth it. Thoughts? Those videos have me thinking I just need to yank out about half of my Vitality and distribute it elsewhere and go with the 30% weight ratio.
When this game came out poise was garbage, not sure if they ever fixed it.

Your goal when playing should be to dodge attacks rather than block them. It'll work on a few bosses to block, but the majority you'll need to dodge. Since it's your first playthrough it's easy to get caught up in "heavy = better", but I find a nimble character is much better.

I typically stayed below 70% but don't think I hit 30% unless I was trying something weird.

I typically run a medium armor setup with some two hander/shield combo for traversing zones and then just 2h on bosses

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is how dark souls typically is. It's as if you, today, were dropped into this world with. O recollection of why. Story typically comes from npcs and item descriptions.

Good explanation. The lore and story is pretty lacking but what little you find is good. That was my biggest drawback and hardest obstacle to get into the game.

Araxen

Darkeater Midir is fucking hard as hell. Holy hell. I've finally got around to getting some attempts on her and I didn't do too well. Fighting the camera is pretty frustrating on that fight, and I think it makes the fight harder than it actually is.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Darkeater Midir is fucking hard as hell. Holy hell. I've finally got around to getting some attempts on her and I didn't do too well. Fighting the camera is pretty frustrating on that fight, and I think it makes the fight harder than it actually is.

The camera and hotbox are definitely a pain. It's just a long fight in which you have to see him telegraph moves by the feet if melee. Some people say it's easier alone than with summons if you were doing coop

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider

Midir is THE MOST telegraphed fight in the game.

Its pattern learning, thats it. Once you figure him out is a really fucking boring fight

Or cheese the dickwad with pestilent mercury.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't summon unless there is some story reason for it, honestly I don't really care but the fights are "easier" without *shrug*

Some fights it doesn't matter though *cough* Yhorm *cough*

Last edited: