Dark Souls 3

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
Butcher knife/crest shield has been awesome for me. The 1h attacks are pretty fast and damaging and a quick switch to 2h will usually let me get 4 swings and stun most things. It even breaks blocks on a lot of shield enemies too. It might fall off now that i have str/hp to where i want and am starting to level dex, but it is extremely solid the first half of the game.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have been plugging through with that frost sword you get near the Giant tower as my main weapon, occasionally whipping out a halberd or dual scimitars for specialized enemies. Partizan is ok, but outside of that all the spears suck balls. Straight swords are the god tier weapon in this game and the only reason to use anything else is for reach/specialized reasons against certain enemies/bosses. It is worth noting that the fire witch pike (doubles as a sorcerer catalyst) combined with any of the shields that let you use R2 to do the weapon skill is a pretty good all around weapon. But really any straight sword or basic halberd are going to outperform anything in this game. This is mostly due to the ridiculous amount of sync kill moves even trash mobs have and the issues Kruegan outlined. Basic trash just autotracks too well and has seemingly infinite poise.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
Is there a large difference between the executioners great sword and the Holy blade I bought with the Abyss souls?
There's a pretty big difference. Damage-wise they seem pretty equal but the Executioner's only needs STR where Holy Blade needs both STR and DEX. Executioner's leeches FP with every kill and it's special move is a spin-to-win, Wolnir's is a Wrath of God. Executioner's Greatsword does great for me and is probably better than Wolnir's, but I haven't tried it so who knows. Boss weapons usually aren't great, with exceptions.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I was a bit unhappy with how much stamina Zweihander was taking, but wasnt sure what other weapons were good.Based on this infothat showed the exiled greatsword being the best curved greatsword, decided to go with it. Compared to Zweihander it seems to hit as hard, but takes way less stamina. At 30 endurance I can swing it 4 times and still have extra to roll. Just got to +10(Sharp) with it and I can get up to a Lothric knight, wait until it has an opening and just stagger him until he is dead.
Exile has big damage for sure, but it's heavy as fuck and much, much shorter than something like the Zwei. It's also not an ultra so you lose that extra bonus stagger effect against a lot of enemies.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I've been enjoying Mornes Great Hammer(Bramd from Demon Soul's) the Weapon Art on it is awesome when you get swarmed.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Exile has big damage for sure, but it's heavy as fuck and much, much shorter than something like the Zwei. It's also not an ultra so you lose that extra bonus stagger effect against a lot of enemies.
Yeah, definitely downsides to it. Got to be nuthugging shit.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Finished my first playthrough @ about 28 hours played. Decided to start from scratch with a dex build and now I'm finishing up at about 20 hours played and all NPC storylines completed except for Greirat's which I fucked up.

I am having a blast with a Warden Twinblades Dex/Luck build. Throw on some Carthus Rouge and it seriously effs people up! It's hilarious to see them freak out when they see the bleed start stacking up. Not entirely sure the Luck stacking was worth it, will do some testing with a few respecs in a bit. Gotta love the moveset on those twinblades though!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So are you super good and one-shot everything or do you just run through? I'm at 45 hours first play through :[

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So are you super good and one-shot everything or do you just run through? I'm at 45 hours first play through :[
I had some issues with a few bosses but co-op took them down easy enough, I collected everything I could up until the swamp the I said fuck that shit and just killed my way to bosses best I could. I also spent a couple hours just doing PvP, that is good times.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Getting pretty close to beating this.

For those that have played DS2:Scholars of the First Sin, is it worth playing after this? Or should I just go into NG+?

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, on my PS4 playthrough I'm at around 70 hours and I haven't even gone to NG+ yet.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Made some crazy progress on my playthrough today. Killed the two remaing Cinders, killed Dancer, cleared two of the three remaining optional areas + Bosses, got my washing pole to +9 (holding off on maxing it for now) and hatched preliminary plans for other weapons. Game got way, waaaaaay easier after Smouldering Lake and Irithyll Valley imo. Maybe the final three or so areas will be tougher!

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Made some crazy progress on my playthrough today. Killed the two remaing Cinders, killed Dancer, cleared two of the three remaining optional areas + Bosses, got my washing pole to +9 (holding off on maxing it for now) and hatched preliminary plans for other weapons. Game got way, waaaaaay easier after Smouldering Lake and Irithyll Valley imo. Maybe the final three or so areas will be tougher!
You won't be disappointed, seemed like it was figure out the encounter next one killed me, repeat often.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Had trouble with dancer.

I went and put two points into HP and then for some reason she was piss easy. It was weird.

Like I was right on the edge of beating her but just needed a tiny little bit of excess HP to get over the hump.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Why do all these Souls games feel like magic is some kind of unofficial mod cobbled together by incompetent amateurs and grafted onto a game that wasn't meant to have it? I love these games, but I have never seen so awful a magic system elsewhere. It's literally the worst magic system in modern gaming, no contest. There simply aren't mechanics to help with spellcasting, most of the spells are completely worthless, and the unreplenishing mana (or, previously, spell uses) concept makes it feel like the game is bucking and twisting to get you to stop trying to play a spellcaster. Ashen Estus being zero-sum exclusive with regular Estus just adds insult to injury. This is the one point where I think the Souls games are truly terribly designed.