Dark Souls 3

axeman_sl

shitlord
You guys ever wonder who lights all the candles in the Souls games? I mean there are a lot of candles. There has got to be a secret candle boss or some shit.
The nerdy answer is that time is actually distorted in the Souls universe, which is why candles don't burn out and structures will last for thousands of years with only moderate decay. It's part of the lore somewhere (probably some random item's description) that time basically stands still. Seriously, if you look at the bottom of the Firekeeper Disposal Chute in the first area, right behind the door that the katana master guy stands before, it becomes clear that this world has existed in its current state for literally many thousands of years. And you still have intact straw roofs in Undead Settlement and shit. Don't tell me mindless zombies are lurching around maintaining buildings.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
History also keeps repeating itself in the universe. Something like the Dragons being killed and the fire being linked by the King created a cycle where as the fire dwindles, the world becomes more dissolute and the hallowed undead are seeking to rekindle the flame in order to basically reset the cycle. In the process, the old King must be overthrown, and the new King is crowned by kindling the flame.

That's what I've garnered from the stuff over the years. Others have done a much deeper analysis I'm sure. But that's what it seems like to me, in broad strokes.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So I got tired of tabbing out so I grabbed the borderless window mod, now it says (CAUTION) INVALID GAME DATA DETECTED when I load a game. Well shit.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Is there a way to calculate stamina used per attack with a weapon? Is it based on its weight somehow? Or is it just a value we can't see beyond the drain on the stamina bar?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I got tired of tabbing out so I grabbed the borderless window mod, now it says (CAUTION) INVALID GAME DATA DETECTED when I load a game. Well shit.
If you run two monitors, you can just open the ESC menu and run the mouse out. Far smoother than many dedicated PC titles handle multiple monitors.

Alt tab performance is terrible, though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Also, early game some of the higher level upgrade items are rare, but as you progress, they become fairly commonplace. Way more so than in past Souls games.
Except for the best one (refined gem), of course. Granted, you probably only need 2-3 at most so it's not a huge deal to farm the blue knight if you don't want to wait to almost the end of the game before getting a second guaranteed one.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
FYI, if you are getting your shit pushed in at certain points due to your preferred build not working against the trash, the Invis spell lets you skip a lot of the bullshit trash clears. I was actually surprised at how many enemies it worked against. Invis up, sprint to next bonfire, then retro clear the trash to get the items. I got past that large initial bullshit run through the pontiffs and most of the catacombs that way.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
FYI, if you are getting your shit pushed in at certain points due to your preferred build not working against the trash, the Invis spell lets you skip a lot of the bullshit trash clears. I was actually surprised at how many enemies it worked against. Invis up, sprint to next bonfire, then retro clear the trash to get the items. I got past that large initial bullshit run through the pontiffs and most of the catacombs that way.
Might as well not consider this a Souls game if you progress that way, because while this is probably (imo) the hardest game in the series, its bosses are mostly a joke. Aldritch and the Pontiff took maybe 5 tries each, but I don't think I've died more than once to any other. The areas themselves, though? Good God, Dark Souls III's midgame compares favorably in challenge to Dark Souls 2's dlc.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Unless you're way more leveled/geared than I was...good luck. Went there at level 40 or so and found it to be the hardest area in the series.
Well, I have a +5 of some poison sword right now (fast one hander) and my original knight armor and a decent shield. SL51-52 I think. I am not even sure what to put my points into any more really.
frown.png
I have a ton of stuff I am not even using right now.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Well, I have a +5 of some poison sword right now (fast one hander) and my original knight armor and a decent shield. SL51-52 I think. I am not even sure what to put my points into any more really.
frown.png
I have a ton of stuff I am not even using right now.
Build options are more constrained in this game - and I think this will be inimical to its longevity - because the stat investment required for viable casting renders hybrid builds much, much harder to develop. So if you're not going magic, you're going strength, dexterity or both unless you use that crazy luck-scaling weapon. Beyond that, vigor and endurance are always safe investments. I think the melee stats and endurance softcap at 40 and vigor hits some form of diminishing return in the low to mid 20's but remains a useful investment far past that.

For smouldering lake, bring a quick weapon that scales well in your chosen damage stat(s) and pump vigor to mid-20s if you haven't because those fucking poison dudes hit HARD. Two hits killed me at the time, and they would sometimes hit me a second time before i could recover from the first.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Most annoying part of the smouldering lake was Knight Slayer Tsorig and the two dickbags at the very end guarding the giant ballista, mostly because it was just such a long haul there and retrieving your likely big stack of souls was nerve-wracking if you died.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
1 boss gave me problems over the rest, did die to Soul Once didn't realize that shit really hits the fan after a certain point.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Build options are more constrained in this game - and I think this will be inimical to its longevity - because the stat investment required for viable casting renders hybrid builds much, much harder to develop. So if you're not going magic, you're going strength, dexterity or both unless you use that crazy luck-scaling weapon. Beyond that, vigor and endurance are always safe investments. I think the melee stats and endurance softcap at 40 and vigor hits some form of diminishing return in the low to mid 20's but remains a useful investment far past that.

For smouldering lake, bring a quick weapon that scales well in your chosen damage stat(s) and pump vigor to mid-20s if you haven't because those fucking poison dudes hit HARD. Two hits killed me at the time, and they would sometimes hit me a second time before i could recover from the first.
Gotchya. Yeah I have been pumping Vigor lately. Vitality is up there now, I think Str and Dex are around 22-20 or so. I was looking at Vigor to increase my equip load based on a post a few pages back, but I am not too sure how that is going to help. I just want to not fat roll when carrying great swords and still wear Knight armor.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Profane greatsword, where have you been all my life <3

Like ~630 AR with 40 str/dex, it can self buff, and the moveset is about as good as it gets for an ultra.

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I had beaten knight slayer Tsorig earlier so he left me a nice summon sign by the bonfire entering the smouldering lake ruins. We smashed that place up.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Being intentionally vague for people who haven't reached the area yet, but I just attempted a boss, the stairway to whom kept spamming me with "Try plunging attack" messages that didn't have appraisal counts and hence were not written by players, so I took them seriously, climbed waaaay up and after two failed attempts at reaching what was clearly the apex, I finally made it. Walked off the platform and...failed to swing my weapon despite repeatedly hitting R1, fell to my death and possibly lost 150k souls. Wtf.