Dark Souls 3

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Slow leveling reminds me more of Demon's Souls than Dark Souls. Then again DS2 was really fast compared to DS1.

But yeah going through an entire area and seeing only like 700 souls is a downer lol

Anyone else fuck up and choose the soul as a starter item? I thought it'd be a unique turn-in item but it was just a regular soul drop :[
I saw it as that, some bonus souls to start with, so I picked it, knowing that using it right away would be the best choice, whereas all the other consumables you never know when to use them, so they're still in your inventory when you defeat the final boss.

Moth_sl

shitlord
3 hours played, haven't beat first boss, just discovered you can "lock" onto targets. I am not good at this game.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Typing this on my phone taking a shit atm and midway through I start hearing the sound of armored footsteps on my TV. Getting scared. Pretty far from last bonfire.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Catacombs of Carthus is a little fuck bitch... about to throw my controller through my monitor. Heh, good times.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Apparently ds4windows/inputmapper etc.. do not like the Windows 10 insider previews. They cause Desktop Windows Manager to go apeshit and make things unplayable. Thanks Obama. Took advantage of the $30 steam controller deal so hope it doesn't suck too bad.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I appreciate the help, but that just sounds kind of absurd to get up and running with it. All of which would probably have to be set up differently for each game.

Anyway, doesn't matter since game keeps crashing when I approach first bonfire. Worst Souls.
Its not absurd - its a 1 time educate yourself thing. All of your custom configs can be saved locally and imported into other games. From there you can do minor things like adjust sensitivity. Specifically the rotational angle of horizontal is a person specific setting that you only need to establish once. You will never use a different setting than the one that fits your hand size. The reason I emphasize this so much is that this is the first game you will be committing to getting the most out of this thing. The rotational tweak is easily the simplest but most important setting to establish because if you don't you aren't really giving the thing a fair shake to wow you. You will just be lamenting how you wish it was a stick because the thing is imprecise and doesn't feel right.

I'm pretty confident that if Intrinsic and Dandai stick to their steam controllers - and dial in the haptic that they will be sold.

Hodj, you overblow the actual customization. My souls 2 config - with minor tweaks is 99% of my souls 3 config - all I have to do is make sure that the sensitivity settings are congruent. Beyond that I can just bind button layouts however I want, but those are personal and unnecessary. The defaults all map fine if you don't want to mess. The haptic pad is the new piece of technology. It puts a mouse input onto a gamepad. The fact you claim this is worse is false, 100% your loss though. It has incredible precision. Joysticks try to emulate a mouse - but they are clearly inferior in speed and precision. Read: FPS are not allowed to be mouse/controller crossplay - because even the worst mouse user will destroy an average controller user. What the steam controller haptic does is bring the gamepad to the PC without requiring the sacrifice of the mouse. It also has the best trigger buttons on the planet, stupid rebindability and can play a PC only interface like game like Xcom 2 from your couch. Its not superfluous, its superior.

axeman_sl

shitlord
It looks like you get more healing per flask from casting 3x Heal Aid or whatever it's called, and chugging an Ashen Estus, than just drinking a regular Estus. If you're patient enough to stand there and spam heals after fights, it's an economically sound approach if one has trouble getting from one bonfire to the next. Every class starts with 10+ attunement except for warrior, so all the other ones can attune one spell without needing to invest any points in it, and all but sorcerer have the 8 faith required to cast this spell.

It doesn't appear to matter whether or not you have the 10 faith that the talisman requires; you can cast the spell regardless, I think it just affects damage spells. Both the spell and talisman can be bought from the old lady in Firelink Shrine, and if you split your flasks 2:1 for regular and mana, you've got enough regular ones for in-combat use. It's probably not something experienced Souls players need to fuck around with, but it's an option for struggling newcomers.

It feels like you get about 30-40% more healing out of Ashen Estus + healing spells, but this may only last until you get to upgrade the flasks as the Ashen Estus pretty much fills the FP bar of a 10 attunement character even at base level, and therefore doesn't really benefit from being upgraded.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Make sure to kill those passive acolytes in the first area. Just had one drop a titanite shard for me. Seems like a really rare drop - that was my first - but still.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I haven't noticed any mechanic punishing me double for repeatedly dying, if that's what you mean by the effigy mechanic
I just ignored the whole thing and ended DS2 with like a hundred effigies and spent most of the time at 75% life. It was just a stupid addition IMO.
Did you play scholar of the first sin? I felt it greatly improved upon that.
I played both.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Finally got past first bonfire, killed boss, ignited firelink, then went and talked to Andre. Now when I try to run back the hallway towards the bonfire, it crashes every time.

Patch please.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Just crashed and it locked up my computer. Think I am going to stop playing before I fuck up my savegame.
frown.png

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Finally got past first bonfire, killed boss, ignited firelink, then went and talked to Andre. Now when I try to run back the hallway towards the bonfire, it crashes every time.

Patch please.
PS4 or PC?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I'm PC and having the same problem (crashing when approaching bonfires). It seemed to have been helped by setting lighting to low, but definitely not fixed.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Typing this on my phone taking a shit atm and midway through I start hearing the sound of armored footsteps on my TV. Getting scared. Pretty far from last bonfire.
Dude, log out when you need to take a shit! You come back right where you were.

khalid

Unelected Mod
POssible fix for you:

Hit by the Firelink Shrine bonfire crash in Dark Souls 3? Here's a fix | PC Gamer

Set lighting to low for now until a driver addresses it or a patch from From software. It may be an Nvidia issue.
Well, that explains it. I changed that setting when Hodj suggested it but didn't realize that if you restart the game it gets reset.

Sigh, how does that make it past testing? I can understand a bug, but graphics settings not being remembered? Come on!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Enjoying the PS4 version(Wish I could get the PC version)

Still exploring every passage I walk by, hahaha

Bramd were are you!

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well, that explains it. I changed that setting when Hodj suggested it but didn't realize that if you restart the game it gets reset.

Sigh, how does that make it past testing? I can understand a bug, but graphics settings not being remembered? Come on!
I didn't know about it resetting or I would have mentioned it earlier.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I was wondering why every time I bring up the nvidia panel it was saying my settings weren't optimized... God dammit FROM, you can't manage one decent PC release. Better than Ubisoft, I guess.