Dark Souls 3

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Was this game created for older consoles? I was looking forward to a truly modern Dark Souls game and this one looks worse than the first installment.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DS2 looks better, but that's mostly down to the 60fps. Enemy animation and models are better in DS3, but the environments are more varied and interesting in DS2 (though too much brown). The perfect game is likely some mix of those two installments.

Diemess

Silver Knight of the Realm
I got a shit ton of souls farming proof of concords from the two knights right at the Anor Londo bonfire. The two knights that walk down the stairway right before the big double doors to Aldrich. Good pvp spot too.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah and they are tethered so you can gimp them with spells from the tower side of the bridge if you like. Though, honestly, once you have that campfire its more lucrative to crush the purple casters prior to that (water room with two dogs is easiest path to them) for easy mele farming.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
As I play it again I think the art was more detailed in Bloodborne for sure. More particle effects and shit too. The areas were smaller/tighter and it also had frame drop problems and hitbox issues and some wonky cloth physics (the last bit seems to have improved at some point - Blood-Starved Beast's cloak was not flapping insanely this time)

I just bought The Old Hunters (never played it) to finish my DS marathon. But not only am I starting in NG+, I also didn't do chalice dungeons after the intro one so my weapon runes suck. When I beat BB I just felt done with it. But with the improvements to load times I'm pretty well hooked again except goddamn, it's hard to stop myself from trying to just i-frame roll through attacks, especially after getting to 110 agi in DS2 and trivializing just about everything. (all but Sir Alonne was a complete joke) I also don't play any of the Souls games in the hyper aggressive style BB dictates so going D3->D1->DS2 SoFS-> BB takes a bit to get used to.

Right at the start I was at Father Gasicgone. Once I was reaquainted I could get him to beast phase without ever taking a hit. Just stun lock all the way through. And then I was getting stomped by his beast form because I wasn't used to the whole "just accept that you'll get hit and quickstep-rally the health back" Wouldn't rally have been nice in DS3?

I'm cruising now though because I have the Lecture Hall unlocked and all 3 moon runes so I can easily build up from my (pitiful) 30 vit 20 end 25 str 25 skill 18 bt 10 arcane that I had beaten the game with.

The point of all of this is to get me through to some updates and such for DS3. I don't want to be on NG7 when the damn DLC comes out, heh.

I'm also still playing UC4 and picked up Doom on pc before the deals went away.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I went back and played DS2 again after DS3 run. I think the viability differences with magic between the titles really hampers DS3 and its replay value. Same with the zone variety. You have much larger and detailed zones in DS3 but I'm not sure you gain nearly as much from the size vs the variety and still decent sized levels of DS2. Combat feels better in DS3 for sure, things are certainly harder and the flow / feel of movement is much better. Although the camera jerking up and around at times in DS3 was very annoying during evasions on large enemies.

DS2, at least the version I'm playing (scholars), is pretty damn tight in a lot of ways. If I could take the variety of the zones there with the viability of sorcery and transplant that into the guts of DS3 I think it would be perfect.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I don't get at all how anyone can say DS2 looks as good or better than DS3. It looks like garbage compared to it. Also, combat feels slow as fuck and unresponsive in comparison. Big difference in content atm, but we will see how it goes after the DLC.

Faith and sorcery in DS3 though, yeah, they need to patch that shit or something. It just doesn't feel worth it at all. You basically beat the game before sorcery or faith is worth using offensively at all.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Let me complain about faith in more detail:

Buffs and healing are garbage for 3/4th of the game. The early healing you get costs you estus flask charges, so the "benefit" from it is pretty much non-existent or even a net negative.. You get more total healing at the cost of some of that healing being really slow, a tradeoff not worth it in a game with this level of aggression in bosses. In order for your weapon buffs to actually be better than just using resin, you need to be raising your faith constantly, all of which means in the end you will be doing less damage. Also of course, if you make your weapons scale on faith with lightning infusion, then you can't even buff them and your damage is split now. The only buff that is really game-changing is tears of denial.

So what about offense? Lightning spear is garbage, pure and simple. Even at 40 faith, which you aren't going to be able to get before at least midgame, you will be doing way worse damage than simply meleeing. Stake is melee range, which again doesn't do enough damage compared to just melee to matter. Great lightning spear and Sunlight spear aren't available until the end of lothric castle or the final fucking boss. Are you kidding me? The one saving grace of all this is you can just get great chaos fireball and use that instead, as even with just faith raised it ends up being better than lightning spear and stake. Then again, why did you go faith and not just go pyro at that point? Once you do beat the game, gratz, you have Sunlight spear, which feels like it is about as effective as great chaos which you got midgame.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
My very first experience with Souls was a DS1 winged spear wielding pyro. In DS2 I did faith at first.

Pure melee ever since. What's the fun in bombing shit from 80 feet away?

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
Let me complain about faith in more detail:

Buffs and healing are garbage for 3/4th of the game. The early healing you get costs you estus flask charges, so the "benefit" from it is pretty much non-existent or even a net negative.. You get more total healing at the cost of some of that healing being really slow, a tradeoff not worth it in a game with this level of aggression in bosses. In order for your weapon buffs to actually be better than just using resin, you need to be raising your faith constantly, all of which means in the end you will be doing less damage. Also of course, if you make your weapons scale on faith with lightning infusion, then you can't even buff them and your damage is split now. The only buff that is really game-changing is tears of denial.

So what about offense? Lightning spear is garbage, pure and simple. Even at 40 faith, which you aren't going to be able to get before at least midgame, you will be doing way worse damage than simply meleeing. Stake is melee range, which again doesn't do enough damage compared to just melee to matter. Great lightning spear and Sunlight spear aren't available until the end of lothric castle or the final fucking boss. Are you kidding me? The one saving grace of all this is you can just get great chaos fireball and use that instead, as even with just faith raised it ends up being better than lightning spear and stake. Then again, why did you go faith and not just go pyro at that point? Once you do beat the game, gratz, you have Sunlight spear, which feels like it is about as effective as great chaos which you got midgame.
For me, I take more damage from normal enemies and adventuring/exploring than most people do, but I take less damage from bosses than most people do. So for me, it made sense to trade some Estus for Ashen flasks and use Heal instead of having all of my charges in Estus. If you're someone who has a really easy time with normal enemies but a difficult time with bosses, more Estus and no Ashen with Heal probably makes sense for you.

I'm in the same boat that I really dislike the zero offensive viability of miracles, but at least for PvE I can have fun with it.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Why are people still whining about casters in DS3? Sorcerers and Pyros by midgame are OP as fuck one shotting any mob from out of aggro range. Just sayin, the first half of the game feels "just right" and fun but once you get higher stats and equipment the game loses challenge and excitement. No surprise really, since sorcery has always been faceroll in Souls. Faith builds would be fine if you could get the lightning spears a bit earlier, but it's cool as option to play at NG+, i guess.

I am much more annoyed at the intricate quest lines and covenant drop rates. Also the NPCs and their story lines are all very forgettable and even somewhat annoying. And the endings are a huge letdown. That said, i love the game and will replay it many times with different builds. Can't wait for DLC!

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Invading sucks when everybody has 30 estus charges. I invaded around the duo dragon area last night and every kill was a fucking slog. I guess I need to pump more endurance to get the last two licks in when pressing the attack. I am going Butcher Knife/ Sun Sword/Bleed dagger for variations. Yall Cucks who use katanas can go somewhere. Also Estocs are stupid as hell this game. They were fine in DS2 but why do they have twice the range in DS3?

khalid

Unelected Mod
Why are people still whining about casters in DS3?
Well, maybe reread my post again if you are still confused. It is because it isn't viable as an option until you are almost at the end of the game. So if you want to be a "caster" in DS3, you basically play as a melee with a raw weapon until almost the end of a game and then you use sorcery to beat the last few bosses. That kills the variety of playthroughs.