Dark Souls

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I just took damage on a parry from a silver knight, but I still parried him and killed him. Is this a new bug or did that happen in old DS1?

Have this happen in pve and pvp. I think it was a thing in DS1.

Crimson

Peasant
Is it worth picking up on Switch?

Not gonna lie, Dark Souls is very heavily inspired by my favorite manga Berserk, and any origin like that can't be bad, so it's definitely got me intrigued for a lot of reasons, and then the portability on the Switch makes it sound even cooler.

But it looks kinda MMO-level tedious with all that same stuff, which, if I'm being honest, is a huge put-off for me. I like third person open world, but not so much MMO type things, if that makes sense.
So I really can't decide if I should buy it or not.

If it has physical copies, I could at least resell it if I didn't like it, at least. Just wish there was a demo to try instead.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>

Not gonna lie, Dark Souls is very heavily inspired by my favorite manga Berserk, and any origin like that can't be bad, so it's definitely got me intrigued for a lot of reasons, and then the portability on the Switch makes it sound even cooler.

But it looks kinda MMO-level tedious with all that same stuff, which, if I'm being honest, is a huge put-off for me. I like third person open world, but not so much MMO type things, if that makes sense.

If it has physical copies, I could at least resell it if I didn't like it, at least. Just wish there was a demo to try instead.

Souls is souls at the end of the day, and it's pretty polarizing. Whilst I'd say that it can be tedious at times, the majority of the gameplay loop is:

1. Approach challenge
2. Attempt challenge until you understand it thoroughly
3. Beat challenge

That can be tedious if you have very little tolerance to repeated death.

The Switch version is fine, it's not as good as it is on PC with mods but it's as good as any other console version.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider

Dark Souls is an amazing game and if you haven't played it yet I envy you for being able to go into it blind in 2019. Don't play online if you don't want to PVP other players, but you also will not be able to summon help on boss fights if that matters to you. Not that anyone would ever do that of course! heh heh heh

Farming monsters for souls and rare item drops being the tedious parts but really are not required to enjoy a straight play through unless you are going for achievements. That's all just standard rpg fair though. Who hasnt ground XP to out level content? Only difference in DS it probably won't help you very much lol.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
DS1 is very engaging and worth checking out, but the Sif fight is kind of the bottle neck point of frustration for most people. Its a hard (and much different fight) compared to what comes before and requires a slog through an are camped by gankers to even reach for an attempt. Every FROM game has a point like this, it just comes a lot later in most (although Father G was early in BB) of the other titles. If you can get to and through Sif, you basically will have a lot of expansive fun from that point forward, especially with their new DLC. Though a lot of people complain about Ornstein and Smoug, I think Sif with the run up to him and no NPC phantom help is what frustrated most people during the initial release of the game.

I think it is the weakest in the series for balance, variety, and pacing, but its the most interesting from a sandbox exploration standpoint. It also has more viable PVE builds than the other two in the series, in my opinion. Where it falters is the PvP is somewhat exploitive and there are a lot of "perilous climbs on invisible shit" areas (Blight Town descent, Dragon God path, Seeth approach, ect) that were thankfully mostly absent in the later games. The PvE combat is generally very methodical and requiring thought, rather than twitch mash. If you liked Nioh but found the combat way too twitchy, you will probably like DS1 a lot. Just take my advice and avoid guides for the first time to get the most out of it.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
First time i've heard of anyone saying Sif was one of the harder bosses.

Always had way more trouble with the Capra Demon and those fucking dogs

• 1Solidarity

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
yep. my first attempt playing dark souls was shelved after I died repeatedly to capra demon. I don't think I picked the game back up for 6+ months before tackling it with a fresh perspective and then finishing my first playthrough of many

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
Orstein and Smoug was definitely the bottleneck for me. One attacks super fast, the other did a ton of damage with one hit....and then one gets buffed when the other dies. I had no clue if it was easier to kill one before the other, all I knew is that fight took easily 20+ tries to overcome. I think I just got a lucky perfect run in and was thankful never having to look back.

Sif is hard at first because he has such incredible range with that sword in his mouth.....but the entire fight is trivialized if you are patient, because as long as you are nimble (low encumbrance) you can just run around in circles strafing by one of his hind legs and never get hit. Eventually I think he tires and then it becomes super easy.

Capra demon was harder than Sif for me, because it came so much earlier and my character wasn't as developed. I probably lost to him 5 times or more as well.....frustrating because the wolf pets are fast as fuck and you aren't that strong yet. Trick for me was to go in with a shield, block the first dog's attack, kill it, then run up the stairs in the back right. Capra and wolf follow but at different speeds. Then drop down, kill the wolf, and kite the capra demon using the staircase, don't be greedy and just get a few hits in at a time.

Dark Souls 1, 2, and 3 are some of the best game ever made imo, if you enjoy a challenge you owe it to yourself to play these games.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>

Dark souls is nothing like an MMO except you can have optional pvp or help.

There's no quests to collect 10 bear asses or any of that crap. It is also the most open world of the series and the easiest(in my opinion, everyone differs). Dark Souls is one of the best games for world design and the series has become my all time favorite game series.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Agree with Chanur - DS 1 level design is fucking amazing. Spoilered for size.

Lordran_large.0.png

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Is Dark Souls Remastered worth getting? Demon's Souls Remake blew me away to the point that I wanted to play Dark again (after a Bloodborne replay). However I already 100%'d and platted DkS1, and figured Remastered would give me a chance to...plat it again. Would be getting it on PS4 and playing it on PS5.

However I've seen lots of whiners online bitching about Remastered not being up to snuff, and not worth getting. What do you guys think?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is Dark Souls Remastered worth getting? Demon's Souls Remake blew me away to the point that I wanted to play Dark again (after a Bloodborne replay). However I already 100%'d and platted DkS1, and figured Remastered would give me a chance to...plat it again. Would be getting it on PS4 and playing it on PS5.

However I've seen lots of whiners online bitching about Remastered not being up to snuff, and not worth getting. What do you guys think?

It's just Dark Souls at 60fps. Can't say its worth it at full price if you already own the original version, but going back to 30fps after playing Demon's Souls remake is hard to do

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I rebought DS2&3 when they were on sale recently. I never had any of the DLC, so that’ll be new for me. Starting DS3 over and playing in high FPS is cool. I still suck at it so it’s like relearning it all over for me~ I don’t fully remember everything either, I don’t play these to death and grind them like some people so they’re really not stale for me.

• 2Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I rebought DS2&3 when they were on sale recently. I never had any of the DLC, so that’ll be new for me. Starting DS3 over and playing in high FPS is cool. I still suck at it so it’s like relearning it all over for me~ I don’t fully remember everything either, I don’t play these to death and grind them like some people so they’re really not stale for me.
I think the DS2 DLC's are some of the best content in the series.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>

Chanur Chanur Is right; if you bought DS2 Scholar of the First Sin then it is almost an entirely new (and harder) game. They moved items and enemies in every single area to make it a different experience while combining it with all the DLC. This is the only version I played and I never had the negative reaction to the game that most have that played it from release day.

• 2Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Chanur Chanur Is right; if you bought DS2 Scholar of the First Sin then it is almost an entirely new (and harder) game. They moved items and enemies in every single area to make it a different experience while combining it with all the DLC. This is the only version I played and I never had the negative reaction to the game that most have that played it from release day.
Maybe I’ll start that one instead. I barely got into 2, I remember not liking it but don’t even remember why. I think I only beat a few bosses before moving on to something else. I bought it at release since I loved demons souls and dark souls, so never played any of the DLC.

• 1Like

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Maybe I’ll start that one instead. I barely got into 2, I remember not liking it but don’t even remember why. I think I only beat a few bosses before moving on to something else. I bought it at release since I loved demons souls and dark souls, so never played any of the DLC.
DS2 aged better with me than the other two games. At first I was not crazy about it, but by the end I really liked it. Having played them all a few times I have to say every time I play it, I love it more and more. It is probably my favorite of the 3 games even though I don't think it's the "best" of the three.

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
DS2 is the best for PVP for sure. This is mainly due to there being so much build variety in the game. Soul Memory though can die in a fire.

DS2 is the only DS I've 100%, and I've played it the most out of all of them.

• 2Like