Dark

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xevy

Log Wizard
Action A in world 1 created worlds 2 and 3

Someone from world 2 goes to world 1 and stops action A

Worlds 2 and 3 never exist, including everyone in them

So it can logically be presumed that Action A happened independently from worlds 2 and 3, since said action created those worlds. So the act of erasing action A requires knowledge of the action and the means to alter it. But preventing the action basically deletes knowledge of the action and the people who had knowledge of the action and who actually stopped the action, then how can it actually be stopped by those parties?
It existed until that point, then it didn't. It's like creating a program that is designed to uninstall itself. It happened existed in World A until that point, then everything ended. They could've made it a little better if some of the 1980's kids stopped it from happening because if you were to have these multiverses as a parallel (which for the sake of this show, they are not) you'd have the kids that were actually alive in 1990 or whenever Tannehaus fired up the gizmo show up and stop him. Because if they were parallel they would then exist in their own timelines at that time. I think they just used Jonahs and Marta because they were already too deep in story wise. But if you don't see the Worlds as parallel then it works.

Cybsled

Actual answer is: It’s a German TV show, so they needed to end it on a depressing note lol

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Just finished it. Enjoyed the ride. Pretty well done for a foreign show. Had to be hard to find that many homely people too. There's a lot of things that can be nitpicked, but that's to be expected. Nobody gets time travel exactly right, but time travel doesn't exist so it's not a huge deal. (I do prefer when it's done really well and avoids paradoxes, though. Unless it's intentional and the paradoxes are interesting, or funny.) It's really just a matter of deciding on your rules and sticking to them to avoid plotholes. And it was more a doomed lovers story than sci-fi. All the science stuff was handwaved, well, that's being generous, they didn't even wave the hand, lol.

One issue I did have in the finale:

Claudia tells Adam that when the apocalypse occurred time stood still for a fraction of a second. And I'm like, "Bitch, please! First of all, that sentence is an oxymoron! Second of all, even if it wasn't, how the fucking fuck do you measure how long time stood still? Lastly, how the fuck do you know it did? Are you God? Or a Time Lord???"

That's all, no biggie.

P.S. While writing this I just discovered the insert spoiler option. How damned long has that been there? I've been saving spoiler tags in a notepad file on my desktop all this time because I could never friggin remember the exact text. I hate all of you. :(

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
The create spoiler tag didn’t exist in our timeline until you used it, but now that you have used it , it has always been there.

• 6Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 7 users

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Like many of you, quite a bit of unanswered shit, but due to the complexity of the show in a compressed 3 season timeline, I'm not complaining. Potentially my favorite TV show ever.

qOiWtIoWDq6w1hiKWU6Izall-BdtqRWWL8-CRMDVnps.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Paradoxes are unavoidable if you subscribe to the idea that there's a single timeline. Which the show suggests otherwise by having multiple young Jonas's running around. However, if this was the case then Jonas and Martha wouldn't have poofed away. They would've simply created a new timeline in which Tannhaus's son and family didn't bite it and they could've existed there. Their worlds would still exist because there was always a timeline in which Tannhaus lost his family.

Great series, but yeah the time travel stuff won't make sense once you start digging at it.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Paradoxes are unavoidable if you subscribe to the idea that there's a single timeline. Which the show suggests otherwise by having multiple young Jonas's running around. However, if this was the case then Jonas and Martha wouldn't have poofed away. They would've simply created a new timeline in which Tannhaus's son and family didn't bite it and they could've existed there. Their worlds would still exist because there was always a timeline in which Tannhaus lost his family.

Great series, but yeah the time travel stuff won't make sense once you start digging at it.

It seems like in this show there is only one time line UNTIL time travel was invented. So multiple worlds is unnatural in the Dark universe. Once the time machine problem was solved, it went back to being one time line.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Given the ending it does seem like there is some aftermath after the tangle is "fixed" that makes me believe that while it resolved one it may have created another. Its pretty clear multiple timelines is possible I think the issue with the tangle is they don't normally interact with each other. The act of that interaction is what fucked everything into the death knot.

Pescador

Trakanon Raider
Decided to check this show out and powered through over the last couple weeks. I managed to avoid spoilers and I think for this show in particular it made things a lot more enjoyable. Towards the end - I guess for most of the third season - I did end up reading the wiki summary after finishing each episode to make sure I was following along because there was just so much to keep track of.

It was a bit exhausting, if that's the right word, to watch, because it's a never-ending ride of plot twists where every action is masterminded by one character or another. But at the same time, I was completely gripped for basically every episode and couldn't stop watching it. Maybe the timelines and paradoxes don't all stand up to scrutiny, but I did like how they wrapped things up with the origin world. I almost want to just sit back and not think too hard about it because it was such a good show that i don't feel the need to nitpick the details.

It seemed clear that by the end, there were just too many characters to properly provide with their own detailed timelines so they just started mass killing off the supporting characters and the alternate world duplicates, but I think it was the right choice because if they added any more "layers" of complexity then everything would probably fall apart.

Definitely one of the best shows in recent memory and I'm glad it was recorded so highly here or I might never have bothered to check it out.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So,
This show is the Dark Horse of the year for me. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The rating is appropriate. I agree with the theory of the ending. It would have been nice to have had the ending everyone initially thought it was but then, why call the show Dark.

Well worth the time to watch this one.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ive really wanted to watch this show and a few other shows on Netflix. But I cant get past the dubbed over voicing. Am I the only one? lol

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Ive really wanted to watch this show and a few other shows on Netflix. But I cant get past the dubbed over voicing. Am I the only one? lol
Your mistake is trying dubs in the first place.

Subs or bust.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Oh fuck...
]\I agree but I think that the ending was placed in the way it was due to the possibility of getting a fourth season. They left it just open enough. Anybody could have attempted to create a new time machine and so that is always a possibility within the story's world. I would have gone the way of the happy ending and have closed it out with the two characters fading. I think thier last bit of dialogue was perfect. I also would have changed up the song and reused the opening song but with the chorus line whispered as they faded, for neither ever nor never....goodbye. The full theme song is actually just as beautiful and I kind of wished the ending credits would have played the whole song.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dubbing this show takes away from the great acting and the German language. When the characters get upset and start screaming in German, it really adds to the feeling. I feel like the German language conveys angry very well. Subtitles are the way to go.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finally started watching this show. Almost done with season one, and holy shit my brain might exploded. What a show.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Finally started watching this show. Almost done with season one, and holy shit my brain might exploded. What a show.
Season 1. Hah, your brain hasn’t gone through shit yet.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It goes a lot farther down the rabbit hole. It also has an actual ending that finishes the show off. It could have gone farther but the creators understood when to just stop.

The show is still the best foreign series I have ever watched to this day.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users