Darkest Dungeon

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea I started a new run to see how it all plays out. The quest thing is pretty sweet so far, and the trinkets they pay out are far, far more optimized than most of the chaff you pick up in the normal game.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
My level 0 team got fucking annihilated in the new dungeon, and it seems to be a common thing, beware!

Oldbased

> Than U
Yes the new dungeon is rough. This game conflicts me like no other as I hardly think it worth the $25 I spent initially plus the $10 dlc. Thankfully it was more like $15 after selling cards/rust skins.
Still I tell myself it isn't worth the money compared to other high value games for the buck but I always find myself back playing it and gritting my teeth as it literally punishes me for playing.
I haven't played for about 8 months so I was shocked by the little things added plus content of the new DLC. It feels like what the original game should have been for the cost.

Now if you'll excuse me I am going to go sacrifice some people people in a dungeon I invested hours into as a reward for my few remaining dollars.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Olebass confirmed real bad.

He doesn't have an uncommon opinion though. Droves of people haaaaate the game as they consider it pure RNG trash, but man do I just not understand them. Yes, there's RNG, yes eating a monster crit for 30 damage is fucking misery, but the whole point of games like these is controlling the RNG and mitigating risk. If everything were just flat values with no RNG these kinds of games would get solved nearly immediately and you'd just be going through the motions.

I don't see that kind of hate for X-COM and it's almost identical in it's core mechanics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U
I think some of the sarcasm was lost in the statement I was on my way to play it again.
I don't hate the game. I think the game is for people who like to cut themselves without the sight of blood.
Like me. Also, if I was bad then how did I get the Mountain Dew Necklace +40? Get rekt.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I love this game, but it is pretty hard and I get way too attached to my characters. Seeing them die sucks majorly. Another thing it just seems like some classes are pretty worthless or maybe they don't fit my playstyle. I try to go for a healer/tank/dps type group.

Vinsent

Lord Nagafen Raider
It really is not a trinity style game. None of the tanks can just soak damage and the healers cannot keep up (by design). Dead things dont dps is how you "tank".

Oldbased

> Than U
I love this game, but it is pretty hard and I get way too attached to my characters. Seeing them die sucks majorly. Another thing it just seems like some classes are pretty worthless or maybe they don't fit my playstyle. I try to go for a healer/tank/dps type group.
I have the same issues with certain classes. Going into Crimson Court is the definition of insanity. Repeating the same mistakes expecting a different outcome. Rip 3 more brave souls, the tavern barely knew ye.

Raign

Golden Squire
It really is not a trinity style game. None of the tanks can just soak damage and the healers cannot keep up (by design). Dead things dont dps is how you "tank".

Exactly this. There are a ton of comps that work fantastic but most of the best ones aren't built around the notion of tanking / healing / dps but rather on how the classes interact with each other. As an example, double occultist / bounty hunter / grave robber works exceptionally well with both the hunter and robber exploiting occultist ability to mark and their excellent stun, while getting damage buffs against the marked/stunned targets, while offering excellent healing.

I am really liking the new Flagellant class as well.. obviously being so bleed dependent does not make it right for every dungeon, but in some dungeons they are truly awesome.

Pretty much my pecking order would look something like:

Top tier
- Occultist
- Plague weaver
- Hellion

Mid tier
- Highwayman
- Crusader
- Grave Robber
- Vestal

Situational
-Abomination
-Flagellant

Everything else

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
That speed mod is a must. I saved at least 15 minutes off a dungeon crawl and I didn't give Geico crap.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
if you know how mechanics work and min-max the game isn't hard though it can be frustrating

overclownfidence is a slow and hilarious killer

yea, i need to reinstall that, guess now will do

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Exactly this. There are a ton of comps that work fantastic but most of the best ones aren't built around the notion of tanking / healing / dps but rather on how the classes interact with each other. As an example, double occultist / bounty hunter / grave robber works exceptionally well with both the hunter and robber exploiting occultist ability to mark and their excellent stun, while getting damage buffs against the marked/stunned targets, while offering excellent healing.

I am really liking the new Flagellant class as well.. obviously being so bleed dependent does not make it right for every dungeon, but in some dungeons they are truly awesome.

Pretty much my pecking order would look something like:

Top tier
- Occultist
- Plague weaver
- Hellion

Mid tier
- Highwayman
- Crusader
- Grave Robber
- Vestal

Situational
-Abomination
-Flagellant

Everything else

What is awesome about this game is my list is vastly different:

In a group back to front: Arbalest, Jester, Graverobber, Hound Master. Kill everything, minimal healing needed. You speed boost with Jester, bleed, or dart forward to end the fight with solo attack that crits for 60+ often. Mark target with whoever pops up first, then use marked target+dmg attacks. You can replace Jester with a healer or anyone that stuns for that stunned Graverobber combo. All the crits keep you sane, all the damage keeps you healthy, arbalest can heal others in a pinch.

Other groups I use: Back to front. Vestal, Grave Robber, Highwayman, Crusader. For darkest dungeon I use Vestal, Highwayman, Crusader, Crusader. Stress relief is really important and Crusader does well there. Once I get houndmaster to 6 I will try replacing Crusader with him.

• 1Solidarity

Raign

Golden Squire
I haven't gotten a lot of play out of the Jester. I like their mobility a lot, I just haven't had a lot last through veteran to try them out at the higher end. Definitely like the comp you suggested though, Arbalest/Jester/Robber/Master must just pour out the dps though it is a little stun light for my taste and style of play.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When an item has a stat like +20% Stress, does that mean it -adds- stress to the wearing, or does it buff resistance to stress?

Oldbased

> Than U
I tried something new tonight and did 2 men at arms with Retribution + Grave Robber + Occult. Everything killed itself on round 2 for the most part even in level 3 stuff. Stack them with speed/damage buff buff and watch everything die attacking you. Worked a lot better than I thought it would. Especially nice killing stuff in the back so easily.

• 1Smuggly

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Try antiqurian instead of graverobber, force men at arms to protect her for even more counter attacks. Hound master instead of occult if you find yourself not needing the heals.