Darkest Dungeon

Jait

Molten Core Raider
3 Abomination+occultist is pretty OP and fun. Surprised their stun never got a nerf.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
Feels like I need to restart because of my hero composition and the fact I can't beat The Wizened Hag since it won't let me take level 3's in. Bleh. Still loving this game though. I haven't played something so obsessively and fervently in years. Tried restarting now that I know what I'm doing for the most part. I still have huge difficulties micro managing all the heroes and their quirks. I wanted to build up a dream composition and remove negative quirks early, but I still feel pretty confused lol. I really like The Houndsmaster and Leper. Leper is a beast. Haven't tried Occultist yet, but seems good. I don't understand how you win a fight where you are surprised (even with Radiant Light) and your Jester and Healer are put in front and it'll take you a million turns to get everyone back into the proper position and you just have no dps and no heals and just die miserably. Hate that shit. Is that what move resist is? Or is that only applicable in combat.

Anyone have some tips on which negative quirks aren't so bad and which are really bad and you need to get rid of asap? I'm annoyed my Crusader has Lazy Eye locked in on my new run before I even open The Sanitorium. Anyone made use of Rabies? Or is the negative accuracy not worth the damage. How do people cope with the stress of Abomination transformation? How's that work with 3 Aboms and Occultist? I need to learn how to run suicide missions with new characters just to farm.

I wish there were clearer damage indicators on abilities on both heroes and monsters. I still haven't figured that shit out yet. Also, are there any objects you should definitely always click or not click? I've noticed torch is always just a guaranteed torch. What are the guaranteed bad ones? I am too greedy to resist and I keep getting afflicted with random maladies haha.

I wish they would have utilized this GODLIKE narrator more. I know that sounds crazy because he's always talking (and that just proves how good he is, he is never annoying). But I really love the backstory of the game, there's just so little of it. I fucking love this game. I feel like when inevitable sequel will be pitch perfect if they don't change the formula and instead just improve.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Morrow, you have to think about your heroes a little differently. The sanitorium is for when you are ready to move into veteran level or higher runs. Your first, second, third, fourth, fifth ect. generation heroes are not heroes, they are suckers. You lured them to this god forsaken place to help cleanse the land of your family curse, and to make you filthy rich in the process. You don't actually care if they go insane or die... so long as they bring back sacks full of precious heirlooms and money. You are a deplorable sadist gripped by avarice and the overwhelming desire to restore your heritage in the face of sheer madness.

This game really hammers home the concept of the disposable hero. Make sure you focus on upgrading that stagecoach network before anything else and you will never need to worry about running out of bodies. Once you get four people showing up each week, you have a fresh team to pick from every run. They might not be optimal, but they will get some money provided you buy almost no supplies. You are trying to maximize the amount of heirlooms and money per run. Best way to do this is to simply not spend money on supplies or services and to open up every single item you come across. Sure, that guy that just rummaged around in a dead corpse looking for 25 gold might contract space herpes, but he can be replaced. So send him on his way and grab the next sap to do it again. And remember, abandoning a quest to bring back some treasure is infinitely better than having everyone die and getting no treasure.

I like Jesters not because they keep people sane and functioning week to week, but because they save me money. I don't like healers because they keep people alive, I like them because they keep people alive long enough to bring me back wagon loads of money. I don't like the people in this game, I like the money and the heirlooms. The heroes are not my characters, the town is. The heroes are consumable items that give me a temporary buff that allows me to dive into a dungeon and loot the shit out of it so I can level up.

Once you have gotten a bunch of the town structures leveled up and reduced the costs of upgrading heroes and you have collected a bunch of trinkets that make them more effective AND you have a large enough roster to start putting together much more effective party compositions, THEN you can start thinking about really investing into people in order for them to start tackling veteran level stuff. But until then, you just want loot at all costs.

So really, you can just keep plugging away with your current game. Just invest every appropriate heirloom into the stagecoach and do a bunch of runs in the weald to maximize the number of deeds you get.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you mouse over the quirks they tell you what they do, you can usually ignore the if torch light is below 25-whatever happens, and will only drink in town or whatever. But honestly if you don't like what it says handle it because they are all bad.

If you get shuffled in combat that is when your front line use their move up and attack skill you should have slotted, eventually you can equip move resist trinkets and always make sure the torch is 75+

moontayle

Golden Squire
I mostly ignore the negative quirks. Still building up aspects of the town and like Pan said, the reality is that your heroes are disposable. The only thing I've done so far is spend a week destressing a healer to get rid of an affliction, and then only ebcause at the time she was my only one. Once I got a Jester it became easier to manage stress but I still kick almost every hero who develops an affliction out because right now I can think of better things to spend my money on.

Killed Hag yesterday with Hellion, Houndmaster, Jester, Vestal. Dot that bitch up and bleed her to death.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Until blacksmith, guild, and most importantly caravan is fully upgraded every hero is disposable and you shouldn't be spending any really cash on them.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I mostly ignore the negative quirks. Still building up aspects of the town and like Pan said, the reality is that your heroes are disposable. The only thing I've done so far is spend a week destressing a healer to get rid of an affliction, and then only ebcause at the time she was my only one. Once I got a Jester it became easier to manage stress but I still kick almost every hero who develops an affliction out because right now I can think of better things to spend my money on.

Killed Hag yesterday with Hellion, Houndmaster, Jester, Vestal. Dot that bitch up and bleed her to death.
Yup it seems like early on about the only guys worth putting any effort to fix up beyond the basics is pretty much healers as they seem harder to come by.

Caliane

yeah. Some people talk about churning over, and disposable, trail of human wreckage. but honestly you don't even have to look at it like that. Think, SKyrims "I took an arrow to the knee". Retiring from Adventuring isn't a death sentence. Just retire people who aren't fit for the rigors of Adventuring.

As others noted, stagecoach first. Most disease, quirks aren't that big of a deal, you can ignore them.
I would then recommend guild next. being able to cheaply pick out key skills is super helpful.
Then, focus on disease removal, and gear upgrades. tetnus is painful. And curing isn't too bad.

quirk management is super expensive. and there are a few deal breakers. Kleptomania. fire that person. most of the manias really. auto opening items is pretty bad.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's a mill. My quick start guide for troops:

Don't buy anything but food and just do New Player runs with 3-4 new people every single week and treat it like Hunger Games. Until week 10 or so you'll be lucky to get 2 players returning on most missions. And of those returning players immediately release anyone who has high stress or serious affliction. Rinse and repeat and learn your classes. Don't bother with anything other than food. Seriously just try it. You will learn fast and suddenly your money problems and other irritations will go away as you realize just how expendable anyone under lvl5 is.

By week 10 you should have 30-50k and some minor improvements beyond stagecoach and actually be ready to start the game and get really frustrated. It's awesome.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I was easily clearing a dungeon, got to the final room with everyone healthy and low'ish on stress. Between being surprised, multiple misses, being crit, and an enemy in the back row spamming aoe stress, I ended up losing my entire team in a single battle (wasn't a boss fight either). Talk about bad luck, I think I had maybe 1 or 2 people in the graveyard before that fight.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Morrow, you have to think about your heroes a little differently. The sanitorium is for when you are ready to move into veteran level or higher runs. Your first, second, third, fourth, fifth ect. generation heroes are not heroes, they are suckers. You lured them to this god forsaken place to help cleanse the land of your family curse, and to make you filthy rich in the process. You don't actually care if they go insane or die... so long as they bring back sacks full of precious heirlooms and money. You are a deplorable sadist gripped by avarice and the overwhelming desire to restore your heritage in the face of sheer madness.

This game really hammers home the concept of the disposable hero. Make sure you focus on upgrading that stagecoach network before anything else and you will never need to worry about running out of bodies. Once you get four people showing up each week, you have a fresh team to pick from every run. They might not be optimal, but they will get some money provided you buy almost no supplies. You are trying to maximize the amount of heirlooms and money per run. Best way to do this is to simply not spend money on supplies or services and to open up every single item you come across. Sure, that guy that just rummaged around in a dead corpse looking for 25 gold might contract space herpes, but he can be replaced. So send him on his way and grab the next sap to do it again. And remember, abandoning a quest to bring back some treasure is infinitely better than having everyone die and getting no treasure.

I like Jesters not because they keep people sane and functioning week to week, but because they save me money. I don't like healers because they keep people alive, I like them because they keep people alive long enough to bring me back wagon loads of money. I don't like the people in this game, I like the money and the heirlooms. The heroes are not my characters, the town is. The heroes are consumable items that give me a temporary buff that allows me to dive into a dungeon and loot the shit out of it so I can level up.

Once you have gotten a bunch of the town structures leveled up and reduced the costs of upgrading heroes and you have collected a bunch of trinkets that make them more effective AND you have a large enough roster to start putting together much more effective party compositions, THEN you can start thinking about really investing into people in order for them to start tackling veteran level stuff. But until then, you just want loot at all costs.

So really, you can just keep plugging away with your current game. Just invest every appropriate heirloom into the stagecoach and do a bunch of runs in the weald to maximize the number of deeds you get.
Just got back into this after not playing for 6 months, this is the best advice I have read for this game. Really need to switch up my outlook.

I had a good laugh last night when my Occultist got 100 Stress and became Afflicted with Masochist. He yells out crazy Eldritch shit and cuts himself now, increasing everyone's stress. Pretty funny and thematic considering his class.

moontayle

Golden Squire
My hag run was pretty awesome. Got some bad luck with multiple back row stress-inducer encounters but 3 of my 4 guys ended up with Virtues and my Hellion got the one where she drops stress every round. I still worked my Jester to keep stress down because that carries over back into the Hamlet but counted myself fortunate.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Prepare you anus when you first start trying out champion missions, shit is just a world and a half of hurt. If I never see one of those mega crabs again that bleed you for 10/round with a -bleed -healing debuff on it I can die a happy man. Fuck those things.

I may have actually overfarmed my game. I'm on week 55 now and I'm afraid all my level 3-4 dudes are gonna hit 5 before I have all the veteran bosses dead.

DrLifetilt_sl

shitlord
Prepare you anus when you first start trying out champion missions, shit is just a world and a half of hurt. If I never see one of those mega crabs again that bleed you for 10/round with a -bleed -healing debuff on it I can die a happy man. Fuck those things.

I may have actually overfarmed my game. I'm on week 55 now and I'm afraid all my level 3-4 dudes are gonna hit 5 before I have all the veteran bosses dead.
That's why i bring bandages in almost every dungeon run except the basic easy ones. Like 4 bandages for a medium lv3 run seem like a neccessity.

Question: is there a reason not to use anything other than a Vestal for the 4th spot? Occultists seem too RNG as healers for my liking. Also anything other than Grave Robbers in the 3rd spot? I can get a Grave Robber close to 100 stress to come out at zero after a run. Those girls really like their dungeoneering.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Vestals start to lose their luster in champion dungeons. Their heals just can't keep up with taking 20+ damage crits constantly. Occultist heals on the other hand start to scale in to absurdity once you can stack 30%+ healing modifiers on them.

Graverobbers are indeed pretty amazing for regular dungeon clearing. I tend to not use them for bosses though as they lack the raw single target damage of a bounty hunter/hound master combo.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Does locking positive traits prevent them from being swapped after you reach 5 traits?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Yea. It's so expensive that you need to be pretty picky with it though. I typically only lock in +5 dodge, +3 crit melee/ranged or +10melee/ranged damaged really, anything else seems not worth it. Unsure on how fated actually works or if it's worth keeping at all.