Dauntless - Co-op Action RPG - Ex Bioware devs

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Wish I could give this game more than a meh. Honestly, I don't care about it. Thinking that MH's gonna be more of the same. Fun for a couple'a minutes, then just boring as hell.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Anyone sitting on unused keys? Honestly don't want to shill out for a founders pack, let alone for a game that will be f2p and may not hold my attention once MH PC comes out later in the year.

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This game hits open beta on May 2nd. Anyone still playing this? Have the new quests and such improved it?

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
Anyone here going to play this? The open beta starts today. Here are the patch notes: Patch Notes | Dauntless

I played in closed beta and there wasn't much to it in terms of progression, especially compared to MHW. I might fire it up tonight for a few hours though to see what has changed.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I've been playing since what seems like forever now, mostly on and off because the UI was atrocious. I'll be playing this a bit. They added some progression related things but you can still hit the endgame quickly (within a few days) if you grind hard.

I'm still consciously optimistic but it definitely isn't a MH killer or anything.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Wonder if they knew MH World was coming out when they started development on this? Maybe they kept the budget lean enough to not need many sales? :oops:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
They didn't. I remember posting on Reddit about Dauntless early last year I believe, maybe sooner.

Edit: Founder's Alpha started mid-August and they were showing stuff off early last year so yeah that timeline seems right. Doubtful they knew of any MH World stuff. I remember Dauntless fans being really worried about MHW shitting all over Dauntless after E3... which still might be the case.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone try this yet? Sat in que for about 2 hours then servers went offline. Gonna keep trying through the night as MH is one of my all time favorite games but I don't own a PS4 because I'm a broke ass bitch waiting on PC release.

Alterity

Molten Core Raider
I was able to play a little last night before the servers went down and so far it's mostly the same as the closed beta (I'm only at Tier 2). It's still not at all comparable to MHW, but I do enjoy the combat and hitting with the hammer feels extremely satisfying. The gear choices are still pretty limited from what I have seen. One thing that was pretty cool was finding full parties almost instantly which in the closed beta I felt like I was always waiting to play with people.

It's definitely still a beta and MHW will most likely kill the population of this game once that hits PC, but for a free game it's fine for a couple hours here and there.

I haven't been able to get in at all today due to the queue being around 3-4 hours long. They really weren't ready for the influx of players that want to feed the MHW niche that don't have a console.

My name in game is Alterity if any of you want to add me.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah not even going to bother. Couldn't even get in at like 8am this morning. Que is pretty bad.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
1527277927827.png

Yikes that is...quite a queue..

• 1Worf

Fadaar

That guy
Guess I'll just let the queue sit there for the rest of the day and maybe play a little bit tonight

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got to play a few times today. First impressions.

-Almost exact copy to MH like we knew it would be (this isn't a bad thing IMO, this genre needs more in the market). So far though MH has more substance, and obviously more content (more weapons, more combos for those weapons etc)
-Combat is way more forgiving. You can cancel animations via rolling. Your team mates don't stagger with your hits so you can all group up on the head or tail or wherever you want. However, combat isn't bad. Using hammer and it feels very satisfying and smooth.
-Gear is almost exactly like MH too, but more like a traditional RPG. Instead of getting breakpoints on vague skills it just tells you what each piece of gear gives. I like this.
-Gear is gotten through crafting with the parts you get on hunts.
-Cash shop, doesn't look to be too bad but you could definitely call it P2W. You can get potions and other things which I don't know how rare or hard to come by they are in the free model.
-Monsters feel good but nowhere on the level of MH.

Overall I'd say its a solid game so far. Time will tell with content and customization options (I hope combo variety is increased with higher tier weapons in the same class). However if you are comparing it to MH and expecting MH quality you will be sorely dissapointed.

Unfortunately I got kicked (well technically I had to alt F4 because I get this bug at the end of adventures where it won't port me back to town and I just sit there almost all functions to the game besides movement and chat are inoperable) and I'm not in 90k que. Hope they work out the que times but it seems they are trying to squeeze pennies on their infrastructure so I doubt it will get better.

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
HAHAHA

This shit has a gender Identity toggle with:

Masculine -- Feminine -- Neutral

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I played this for a little while during beta after snagging a key through Twitch.

Basically played like a much more accessible and forgiving MH. The combat feels fluid and responsive, but it doesn't have that depth that MH has, albeit that's fair given MH's history.

I'll keep jumping back in because it is fun to play, but I'll probably eventually get bored due to its relative shallowness when compared to MH.

I guess a decent comparison would be MH is Magic: The Gathering and Dauntless is Hearthstone, if that makes sense.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Finally able to play consistently. Looks like they've patched most of the problems out for now. I'll give another update once I've put a fair amount of hours progressing. Anyone else playing?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i'm playing a little here and there. only passing familiarity with MH, so my opinion is probably terrible, but the little i played of mhw, i think i enjoy this more. someone made the comparison that mh is like magic the gathering and dauntless is like hearthstone. the animation lock isn't so terrible since you can dodge out of it at any time, so it's a lot more forgiving.

as far as the monsters themselves, they seem fairly standard play. figure out the moves then dodge roll to victory. i'm only a little ways in, so hopefully things get a little more complicated. i've really only used the longsword and the chainblades a few times. the chainblades have a cool gapcloser ability but i think i just prefer the longsword.

as far as game stability goes, apparently the forever queue issue was a software bug, not a server capacity issue. they have a bunch of cloud servers so there was plenty of space ON the server, it was just bottlenecking everyone for no reason. they went into maintenance mode for a little bit last night and my 100k + queue took about 30 minutes. everytime i complete a hunt though, it never actually takes me off the island, i have to relog in. so we'll see if that gets fixed too.

anyway, it's beta. it FEELS like an old school beta, not one of these current AAA marketing strategy, public and timed demo betas. people on reddit are PISSED. it's kind of funny because they keep referring it as "launch day"

• 1Like

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Played this for a couple hours. It was enjoyable. Tons of crashes but the games pop so fast it doesn't matter.

Never played Monster Hunter but this game is fun. It's like queueing for a dungeon boss in an MMO. Well worth the price tag of zero dollars.

If anyone is playing add me name is Fyff.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
i'm playing a little here and there. only passing familiarity with MH, so my opinion is probably terrible, but the little i played of mhw, i think i enjoy this more. someone made the comparison that mh is like magic the gathering and dauntless is like hearthstone. the animation lock isn't so terrible since you can dodge out of it at any time, so it's a lot more forgiving.

as far as the monsters themselves, they seem fairly standard play. figure out the moves then dodge roll to victory. i'm only a little ways in, so hopefully things get a little more complicated. i've really only used the longsword and the chainblades a few times. the chainblades have a cool gapcloser ability but i think i just prefer the longsword.

as far as game stability goes, apparently the forever queue issue was a software bug, not a server capacity issue. they have a bunch of cloud servers so there was plenty of space ON the server, it was just bottlenecking everyone for no reason. they went into maintenance mode for a little bit last night and my 100k + queue took about 30 minutes. everytime i complete a hunt though, it never actually takes me off the island, i have to relog in. so we'll see if that gets fixed too.

anyway, it's beta. it FEELS like an old school beta, not one of these current AAA marketing strategy, public and timed demo betas. people on reddit are PISSED. it's kind of funny because they keep referring it as "launch day"

Had a buddy refer to it as "launch" as well. Proceeded to call him an idiot and these things are needed to stress test tons of things. Progressing and monsters are feeling more and more varied and harder. Over all I am loving it. It's MH with less content but enough to warrant what they are trying to do.