Dauntless - Co-op Action RPG - Ex Bioware devs

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
Buddy of mine who has an Xbox texted me today saying we should check this game out since it’s cross platform. We are gonna give it a whirl tonight. I imagine there’s a tutorial/intro thing we’ll have to do before we can play together. I’m curious how this works for new players grouping up. Can we just form a group and do stuff? In MHW it was a pain to play with others on your first play through because you had to go hunt the monster up and get their “cut scene” before another player could join your mission. Will we run into the same thing here?

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah all that is gone and it's normal multiplayer Coop.

MHW was a complete pain in the ass and still is. Hopefully the next iteration is more seamless and normal :)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The queue doesn't really bother me, it's the "do a 3-10 minute hunt, wait 10 minutes for matchmaking to timeout trying to load back into town, get kicked out to main menu, then load back in (maybe)" that's infuriating. In my experience if it takes more than 2-3 minutes then it's going to take the full 10 to timeout guaranteed... but if you close the game and relaunch it you go back in the queue, which takes longer than the retarded 10 minute connection timeout.

Yeah all that is gone and it's normal multiplayer Coop.

MHW was a complete pain in the ass and still is. Hopefully the next iteration is more seamless and normal :)
The downside is that single player is all on their servers too, and even when the servers are behaving it takes 30-60 seconds waiting on a server to start a hunt.

-------------------------

Game itself is pretty fun, though I'd say it has maybe 1/4 of the depth of MHW and that's probably being generous.

MP is actually better than I expected, only a few cases where I've gotten S to S++ rating while the team got a C or D, or had an outright failure because tards died so much it went to max danger level. Not having loadouts sucks though, because practically every hunt there's one or more dudes who is wearing all wrong shit and takes the full 2 minutes to change all his armor/weapon/cells. I'm inclined to believe the videos I've watched that say once you figure it all out it's much faster/more efficient to solo stuff.

The tutorial doesn't explain things very well though. Like I'm still not clear exactly what counts as a stagger. I was trying to finish that weekly last night/this morning, went in with a hammer vs. lesser embermane (since you don't have to go searching for it and it will never run away or enrage). Getting it to charge me over and over learning the timing to boop it with the gun attack was easy, but afaik that is just an interrupt(?). It goes flying and looks dazed so I pound it with the hammer while it's down, but over the course of killing it I only got 3 staggers each run. I know about the blue damage numbers (from watching a video, not anything in-game) but still unclear on how to know when it's actually staggered.

Wound mechanic seems more straight-forward, but I haven't messed with pikes much yet.

I never would have figured out what "aether charged" meant just by blundering around in game either.

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Oof, 4pm est and there's a 30min queue. Never got into MH but want to try this out since it's free. Looks cool.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
MP is actually better than I expected, only a few cases where I've gotten S to S++ rating while the team got a C or D, or had an outright failure because tards died so much it went to max danger level. Not having loadouts sucks though, because practically every hunt there's one or more dudes who is wearing all wrong shit and takes the full 2 minutes to change all his armor/weapon/cells. I'm inclined to believe the videos I've watched that say once you figure it all out it's much faster/more efficient to solo stuff.

The tutorial doesn't explain things very well though. Like I'm still not clear exactly what counts as a stagger. I was trying to finish that weekly last night/this morning, went in with a hammer vs. lesser embermane (since you don't have to go searching for it and it will never run away or enrage). Getting it to charge me over and over learning the timing to boop it with the gun attack was easy, but afaik that is just an interrupt(?). It goes flying and looks dazed so I pound it with the hammer while it's down, but over the course of killing it I only got 3 staggers each run. I know about the blue damage numbers (from watching a video, not anything in-game) but still unclear on how to know when it's actually staggered.

I agree the tutorial does not really tell you a ton, there might be some enjoyment in that but for the most part it can be annoying. When you boop something (exclamation marks above their head) its just an interrupt. A stagger is when there is white above the behemoths head (think birds flying around someone's head in a cartoon) and then you hit it a little more and it falls over. Usually hammers are best at this but axes and swords can do this easily as well.

Devs have said loadouts will come eventually. We just recently got the new loadout screen which makes it a little faster to swap out gear/cells then previously.

Its a shame that the servers are shitty atm because a few days ago there was a 30 second downtime before getting into the airship and then 30 seconds for everyone to ready up. Very little downtime.

Oof, 4pm est and there's a 30min queue. Never got into MH but want to try this out since it's free. Looks cool.

Yep, sadly they did not prepare well for the PS4/Xbox release. Wasn't like this before except during the closed beta and open beta releases.. but as usual companies fail to prepare the floodgates (Hi Blizzard).

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
This is awful, or at least really unfinished. The character creation is really goofy--masculine and feminine versions of the same faces, lots of glam eye liner. The combat isn't slow, but it seems like my left right arrow keys really lag behind my mouse. And the combat is mind numbing. Are there even a variety of mobs? I keep getting the same shrimp tail thing to kill.

Last edited:

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
This is the best preparing for hunt simulator I've ever played. 20+ minutes and then it just ends the search randomly, so I can again search for 20+ minutes

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
If you already own MHW I would say just play that. I am having fun so far but it really is MH light.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I remade my character three times before it didn't time out just getting to the tutorial fight. Boredom kept me going enough to reconnect through the first few fights. not bad, but nothing spectacular. Reminds me a lot of fortnite vs the more complicated battle royale games, but also with the early fortnite days of long waits and connectivity issues. F2P, crossplay, and easier mechanics might make this appeal to a pretty wide audience eventually.

Valorath

Trakanon Raider
If you already own MHW I would say just play that. I am having fun so far but it really is MH light.

I don’t expect to like it more than MhW, but being able to play cross platform is why I’m interested in playing this. Several buddies have Xbox while the rest of us are PC or PS4 guys.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
While I mostly agree with Hatorade's take, that was a similar take to someone else before and its a low IQ dig. The game isn't mean't to be a MH killer or even a person's "main" hunter style game. Its mean't to fill a void in the genre. I'm not sure about some people here, but I put my 300+ hours into MHW and loved it all. I don't need more time in MHW.

I'll promote any decent hunter style game on this forum and this one is decent, at least when the servers are working.

Last edited:

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Tried it a bit last night and it feels really shallow to me. I don't mind the graphics, and some of the gear looks pretty cool but its poorly optimized and doesn't really suck me in.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I ended up giving them the 40 bucks to do the elite progression, I really hate F2P mechanics. I would feel better about it if the servers were working properly. 10 mins to load a solo run is dumb.

• 1Dislike

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I ended up giving them the 40 bucks to do the elite progression, I really hate F2P mechanics. I would feel better about it if the servers were working properly. 10 mins to load a solo run is dumb.

You bought the 40 dollar pack for the 10 dollar elite hunt pass? Unless you're from down undah then maybe the conversion is awful. Also the elite pass gives you like 5 back or something.

If you do the weeklies and log in to grab the daily quests you should have no problem completing the elite hunt pass so I wouldn't (and have never) bought extra levels of the pass.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
You bought the 40 dollar pack for the 10 dollar elite hunt pass? Unless you're from down undah then maybe the conversion is awful. Also the elite pass gives you like 5 back or something.

If you do the weeklies and log in to grab the daily quests you should have no problem completing the elite hunt pass so I wouldn't (and have never) bought extra levels of the pass.

Well shit I missed that... Well at least it came with a bunch of other stuff. I don't like getting less loot/XP then I would normally, I have more money then time these days.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm the same way. I don't like missing out on extra shit. Its definitely a pay2progress faster type argument. Its not an extreme difference but there is one and it definitely bothers people including me.

If you complete the elite track every time its only about 5 dollars every two-ish months (50 days for this hunt pass). Though most battle/hunt passes in games are fairly generous.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I can see giving money for a quality game. Right now their character creator is an abortion and most people cannot even log into the servers. If it ends up deserving some cash, I'll fork in if they deserve it. But right now, they don't. As it's a buggy mess of a game on console.

Played it on PC and got bored fairly quickly. I like the attempt at Blizzarding Monster Hunter - but MHW, nothing compares to the depth and I would rather pay $47.99 (GC) for that than fork over whatever it is these people want for a game with MUCH less depth and content.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had no trouble logging in last night, was something like a 100 person queue that only took a couple minutes till get through. 30 sec to a minute to start a solo hunt and no issues getting back to town afterwards. Hopefully it doesn't go to shit again tonight since it's the start of a long weekend. Not that it matters that much, I'll probably be playing Nioh 2 anyway.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I saw the login queue on PS4 and put this game on hold until that stuff is straightened out. The number of times you wait for 10 minutes to do a solo run should be 2. One additional attempt beyond the first to see if it's a fluke. There are so many other things to do than try to play this specific game. Wait until it's fixed. If it's never fixed, you just saved yourselves hours. I don't understand how so many smart people can zone out and fall for this shit every time the new shiny appears.

• 1Like

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Been playing most of the morning EST and no queue or long loads. Not sure what it'll look like when the weekend starts.