Dauntless - Co-op Action RPG - Ex Bioware devs

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Downloaded this last night, will prob give it a go this evening. Any advice for someone starting?
Same advice as yesterday, search ohdough on YouTube. He has a couple new weapon and armor videos for exactly what you're asking. Only thing I'd add is that I'm a big fan of low life repeater builds while doing the quest content. Basically get Icebourne high enough for life steal and as much Rage and Wild Frenzy as your cells allow. The endgame build I use for it is https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/6LUWHACxNSkIycRiKh4c2TZTN7u5CV7FnFKCaFWsPCy1cvtaCvqc7CaK but you can replace the hat with Hellion because it will be a long long time before you can get the Rezakiri one.

Just be aware that repeaters are NOT ranged weapons and you need to be close to the behemoth to get an empowered reload before using specials. And the rest of the time just make sure the crosshair is red.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Downloaded this last night, will prob give it a go this evening. Any advice for someone starting?

Take your time. Do patrols instead of specific monsters to get crafting mats. Cells are important but it may take time to acquire them so just roll with what you have. Like Vorph said, low(half) life builds are good but are easier to use with Iceborne cells.. +6 iceborne makes the majority of the game EZ mode. Defense is more important than resistances but if you stack too much negative and then fight that element it can punish you, some negative resist isn't terrible if the armor gives you a lot more defense.

You get 3 self rezzes except against the very endgame bosses, DONT hold your rezzes unless it seems like your team is terrible. When anyone is downed on your team, the danger meter raises faster, so if they refuse to self rez its important to either rez them fast or hold your own rezzes if you reach max danger. During max danger you can't rez teammates, only self rez.

Vorph

Also, I'd strongly recommend buying the $5 mtx the moment you decide you like the game enough to go on. Use the 1k plat to buy the elite hunt pass. Not just for the elite track either. The bonus loot it gives at the end of each mission can be literally anything the behemoth drops, even epic materials, exotic recipes, and heroic dyes. The bonus mastery helps a lot too.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Started playing this on xbox last night and bought the elite hunt pass since I enjoyed it.

I still like Monster Hunter better overall, but it was very easy to jump into this game without any of the clunkiness of MH.

The behemoths are fun to fight, but are all pretty trivial so far especially if you use repeaters. Like they make the fights zero challenge compared to melee.

The group / matchmaking is miles away better than MH. Literally everything about it should be copied by Capcom. I think I grouped twice in the entirety of all my monster hunter game time because it's so bad.

Vorph

One thing that really bugs me and is quickly becoming a deal breaker is the lack of cells. I don't care about the Middleman being a bit p2w like people on reddit focus on. It's the fact that once you get all the easy cells you're basically fucked if you didn't get enough of all the important ones to combine into a pair of +3s. Currently I'm unable to hit +6 of more than half the cells needed for the meta Inferno build which means I'm stuck playing Repeaters forever until planets align and I finally get some of the ones I need. Which happens very very slowly now that I've gotten all the easy ones from mastery. Even my Repeater build isn't perfect since I'm stuck at +5 Molten and Wild Strikes.

There should be some way to target farm or buy specific +1 cells.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't mind chucking some money towards a f2p game... something like a battle pass. However, how is plat handled in this game? Do you have to use it to get gear, or is it strictly to supplement crafting speeds ala Warframe?

Gator

Molten Core Raider
Mainly cosmetics but you can use it to speed up crafting speeds. Also, they will put three random cells on sale that can be bought for plat (that's the part people are crying p2w)
These are Cells

Vorph

Also, they will put three random cells on sale that can be bought for plat (that's the part people are crying p2w)
Nah, the p2w part people talk about is being able to buy thousands of ace chips and then you can practically guarantee a full set of all the best cells at +3 just by rerolling until you get rid of all the crap and only have meta ones left.

His weekly +2/+3 sale is no big deal since you can just buy them with aether dust if they're good. You can't even buy more than one of each.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I have +3 of almost all the good things already and I've only been playing for a few days at slayer level 21. The core rewards seem pretty generous especially with the guaranteed combine if you use 2 of the same.

Surprised to say it, but I am liking this game a lot. I was feeling pretty burnt out on MH, but I think the slight quality of life changes is making the difference even if the game itself isn't as deep.

Vorph

You've been really lucky. I've got a +1 and +2 molten, so even with Hellion gloves the best I can do is +5. Similar problems with Wild Frenzy, Aetheric Attunement, Weighted Strikes, Savagery, Knockout King, and Evasive Fury too... can't get any of those to +6 in builds that use them.

Edit: That's at slayer 28 and almost all easy sources of cores already completed.

It's really frustrating to not be able to farm the +1s even if it took me the rest of the week to combine them up. Only other option is to buy 5k ace chips and roll the dice, which isn't going to happen.

Last edited:

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I got almost all the stuff for the sword/repeater builds, but I still need to get my +2 aetheric atunement and +2 cunning to +3, but I just barely got to 350GS last night so it's not like I'm at the end game or can even craft stuff to 10+ so the min/max can wait.

Vorph

Ah, yeah, my repeater stuff is at 480/500 (barrels take ages to finish off) so I'm at the min-max point. Especially since repeaters are really only great for progressing through the quest/unlocking and endgame meta is the inferno weapon build that can swap to any melee weapon with just 0-2 cell changes.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Bought the arcslayer bundle since I've been binge playing.

Got 500/500 with multiple weapons/armor sets. Iceborne is definitely broken. Using the build with Skarn's sword that gives a shield on hit and it's impossible to die. Also the game is infinitely better once in Heroic since the people know what they are doing.

There is also a Twitch Prime bundle for some free stuff if you are into that sort of thing.

Vorph

Iceborne and Skarn seems redundant. I used a Skarn hammer for a bit to get mastery and I was never getting into Iceborne/Rage/Wild Frenzy range at all. I think the best Iceborne weapon (besides the obvious Repeater build) is any of the riftstalker stuff, since you get a free Wild Frenzy from them. Just wish there was a way to get Iceborne/Rage/Wild Frenzy/Conduit/Cunning-or-Molten-or-Evasive Fury/Aetheric Attunement. Cant find an armor combo where that works out though, best I can do is Ragehunter in place of Attunement. I'm too lazy to git gud enough to play the FOTM Inferno/Predator build, so this is my favorite now. Best part is you can complete the gear long before getting near Rezakiri... worst part is a fuckton of Riftstalker farming if you want all 5 weapons to swap in.

My riftstalker build: https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/VKUN7TPCzZcNkcJcdC5TpT2TVTLH3CgEsmFgC3FoizCEecQtRCORsPCYn
My skarn build: https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/qBUMMsyCvxHdC1FyUbTETwTgTv5uACAdtbHkCYxHXTrCkCPu6C8BUQCYB

Couldn't see anyway to improve the first one further, second is still kind of a work in progress.

I lucked out good with that Twitch bundle. Hadn't had time to play for a couple days so I had 6 chests saved up and got double bonus on all of them.

Wish they'd put out a damn patch though. Still a few annoying bugs that I hoped they'd take care of as soon as the server issues cleared up.

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Iceborne and Skarn seems redundant. I used a Skarn hammer for a bit to get mastery and I was never getting into Iceborne/Rage/Wild Frenzy range at all. I think the best Iceborne weapon (besides the obvious Repeater build) is any of the riftstalker stuff, since you get a free Wild Frenzy from them. Just wish there was a way to get Iceborne/Rage/Wild Frenzy/Conduit/Cunning-or-Molten-or-Evasive Fury/Aetheric Attunement. Cant find an armor combo where that works out though, best I can do is Ragehunter in place of Attunement. I'm too lazy to git gud enough to play the FOTM Inferno/Predator build, so this is my favorite now. Best part is you can complete the gear long before getting near Rezakiri... worst part is a fuckton of Riftstalker farming if you want all 5 weapons to swap in.

My riftstalker build: https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/VKUN7TPCzZcNkcJcdC5TpT2TVTLH3CgEsmFgC3FoizCEecQtRCORsPCYn
My skarn build: https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/qBUMMsyCvxHdC1FyUbTETwTgTv5uACAdtbHkCYxHXTrCkCPu6C8BUQCYB

Couldn't see anyway to improve the first one further, second is still kind of a work in progress.

I lucked out good with that Twitch bundle. Hadn't had time to play for a couple days so I had 6 chests saved up and got double bonus on all of them.

Wish they'd put out a damn patch though. Still a few annoying bugs that I hoped they'd take care of as soon as the server issues cleared up.

Didn't really play with different weapons but usually they have similar cell slots so I'd imagine this could work with any weapon. https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/e8UbKIRCWEfjpcBFjUwTPTaT4TY2uKCJptjFpCeF8InC3QUEtNCKzf5CPV

Vorph

Rezakiri weapons have different cell slots for some reason. Pike is the same as CB, but axe and hammer have a stupid mobility slot. Sword could be made to work with your build though, if the gloves are swapped to Volcanic Grips instead.

Bigger problem is that Cunning being on the weapon removes the option to swap it out for Molten or Evasive Fury as needed. Also, riftstalker weapon orbs are actually a significant damage boost, second only to Inferno's proc as far as unique perks go, from what I understand.

Edit: I just realized I completely forgot about Overpower on the riftstalker build, I guess because I'm so used to never having to think about it while playing with Inferno weapons. I think I'll end up sticking with this instead: https://www.dauntless-builder.com/b/13UoSeCEbHNEcOT1TJT3T1T6TKvuqC4oi1FJCzFBIgCgXCNtRCMAFYC2J It's got everything I want except the swap to Molten, but I can just use a different build when that's needed.

When the hell are they going to add loadout slots anyway?

Last edited:

Delly

Trakanon Raider
As far as I remember, unless they nerfed Reza weapons, it is relatively close in DPS to Rifts. Riftstalker weapons have gone through like 3 nerfs since the original iteration. I could be wrong but it might not be a big dps difference. Shame the cells are different though, I haven't used Reza weapons for anything other then mastery stuff since Inferno became top dog.

Hopefully they're working hard on saved loadouts so needing to swap on cells for certain fights wont be an issue. Though saved loadouts have been requested since closed beta so while its on their list who really knows when its coming.

Edit: That is basically my main loadout (all +6 w/ Overpower etc) if I'm just trying to beat content fast. Swap in any inferno weapon and go.

Last edited: