Dave Chappelle

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, not exactly Alabama. But the govt was split between Republicans and dems at the time, it required a 2/3rds vote by a body controlled by dems and a signature of a Republican governor. And the NRA not only didnt work against it, they are given credit for it passing. The point being, when you hear guys like Chappelle and Killer Miker talking about this, it actually happened, not that long ago, and all the groups that should have been lined up to protect those constitutional rights were the very ones who enacted the bill. It isnt just theorycrafting.

Yeah, but it happened a generation ago. I don't think the KKK vote is nearly so influential as all that. Sure it exists and it exists primarily in the republican party. But this is literally not your fathers republican party anymore.

I don't think an uptick in black gun ownership is going to go that way. What you would see, and what chapelle is dead right about, is all of a sudden we'd get real serious about criminal background checks. And that would immediately translate into a fight about overzealous judicial action. Shit like non violent felonies being applied to blacks more than whites. It would kick up some shit, he's right. But not the kind of shit he's saying. Which is fine, it was a 5 minute bit about a much more lengthy and involved conflict. For a 5 minute synopsis it's not bad though.

Black rednecks like guns just as much as white ones, and they've got more immediate reasons to like 'em.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
No one gives a fuck if black people own guns.

People only give a fuck if they start using them to commit crimes. But that is true about anyone of any color with a gun.

Most normal people have no idea if someone of any color is carrying unless they brandish the weapon.

You racist leftists are so fucking myopic.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I'll chime in here as a life long Texan. I have never given a crap about if black people owned guns, and I actually supported Joe Biden's one time assertion that we should give a shotgun to every home owner for home defense. (Although I would be pump action and he was more supporting double barrel, but still...)

And he was off on the "shell rotation", at least from my family's tradition. It was salt shot (my grandfather loaded his own shells), then bird shot, then .00 buck shot the rest of the way.

The wife and I both really enjoyed this special, so you can take that as you may.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'll chime in here as a life long Texan. I have never given a crap about if black people owned guns, and I actually supported Joe Biden's one time assertion that we should give a shotgun to every home owner for home defense. (Although I would be pump action and he was more supporting double barrel, but still...)

And he was off on the "shell rotation", at least from my family's tradition. It was salt shot (my grandfather loaded his own shells), then bird shot, then .00 buck shot the rest of the way.

The wife and I both really enjoyed this special, so you can take that as you may.

A bit of a tangent here, but wouldn't salt, and even bird shot lead to possible trouble in court?

Numerous sources I have seen, including my CC instructor, advocate unloading on any threat. You should not be firing on anyone not seen as an imminent threat to your safety (& property, in Texas). If they are a threat, the best legal recourse is to neutralize them, as quick as possible. Firing salt (and maybe bird shot) goes against this doctrine, and you will need to explain why they weren't enough of a threat to warrant lethal force from the first shot. If they live, this may also be grounds for a civil suit?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, but it happened a generation ago. I don't think the KKK vote is nearly so influential as all that. Sure it exists and it exists primarily in the republican party. But this is literally not your fathers republican party anymore.

I don't think an uptick in black gun ownership is going to go that way. What you would see, and what chapelle is dead right about, is all of a sudden we'd get real serious about criminal background checks. And that would immediately translate into a fight about overzealous judicial action. Shit like non violent felonies being applied to blacks more than whites. It would kick up some shit, he's right. But not the kind of shit he's saying. Which is fine, it was a 5 minute bit about a much more lengthy and involved conflict. For a 5 minute synopsis it's not bad though.

Black rednecks like guns just as much as white ones, and they've got more immediate reasons to like 'em.
Well, I'm no fan of Reagan, but I certainly wouldn't call him a Klansman. That was a relatively mainstream view at the time, and there are parallels between guys like Huey Newton and Killer Mike talking about how black people should carry guns due to risk from police. Today, I hope it wouldn't be an issue, but I get surprised all the time by what is controversial. Mostly just an interesting thing to think about. It goes back to people trying to divine Chappelle's views from his comedy. It isn't meant to be a manifesto, it's just some shit to think about presented via funny jokes and stories. Some of it intentionally absurd, some not so much.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
You should probably stick to streaming Apex since your racial opinions are fucking garbage.

There's a reason I don't go in General. It's whatever the opposite of virtue signaling is. Red-pill Dogpiling? Neocon Ballpit? I'm not sure. I literally don't want to hear the opinions of 90% of this board because they are as dumb as they are bad in PUBG.

• 4Salty
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
There's a reason I don't go in General. It's whatever the opposite of virtue signaling is. Red-pill Dogpiling? Neocon Ballpit? I'm not sure. I literally don't want to hear the opinions of 90% of this board because they are as dumb as they are bad in PUBG.

Translation: Cognitive dissonance makes me uncomfortable and I don't like feeling like a fucking moron. My bubble, which is carefully curated to only allow for people who agree with me in my shitty little stream, feels much better.

• 9Like
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 12 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, not exactly Alabama. But the govt was split between Republicans and dems at the time, it required a 2/3rds vote by a body controlled by dems and a signature of a Republican governor. And the NRA not only didnt work against it, they are given credit for it passing. The point being, when you hear guys like Chappelle and Killer Miker talking about this, it actually happened, not that long ago, and all the groups that should have been lined up to protect those constitutional rights were the very ones who enacted the bill. It isnt just theorycrafting.

Yeah, Alabama has many, many more black people per capita. As all of those "racist" southern states do. None of them ever passed a law like this. Weird eh?

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, Alabama has many, many more black people per capita. As all of those "racist" southern states do. None of them ever passed a law like this. Weird eh?
Are you fucking for real with this?

Yeah... guess we could learn a thing or two from how historically tolerant and accepting Alabama has been of black people.

• 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Are you fucking for real with this?

Yeah... guess we could learn a thing or two from how historically tolerant and accepting Alabama has been of black people.

Or you could learn a thing or two about how mistakes and conflict lead people to be better and learn from them. Or a thing or two about how perception and propaganda can radically alter how you think about things or popular belief.

Guess where the most segregated schools in America are..The most segregated neighborhoods...the largest wealth inequality racially. It ain't anywhere in the South. After the civil rights act, by every metric we can measure the South has been more equal than most Liberal states, especially California and NY, where the stratification is some of the worst in the country.

blackpopulation_uscensus.jpg

(Note: Before the "great" migration, the number of blacks in the South was actually far, far higher, too--it wasn't until the 50's and 60's that a significant amount of black people moved to more Liberal northern states...When was that act passed to disarm black people? 1967? So strange! Almost like the moment California had black people, they immediately decided to oppress them). Racial conflict can only happen when you actually HAVE black people or racial minorities. All the problems you see in California? All happened with a tiny black population. The South has a far, far higher black population, which is why they were the flash point for a lot of civil rights action--its also why they had legal and institutional change on such a profound level.

Its why modern calls of racism are so obtuse. You're pointing at people that have been through the fire and come out better for it, from an ivory tower that waves the flag of diversity but keeps those negroes down to an "acceptable" level of visibility.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
It was a good set. It wasn’t anything outrageous, it just reminded me of what comedy used to be like up until six years ago or so. Maybe it made it funnier knowing how bad it triggers people now.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
At the gym Fox News was on and they had a story on how this got 99% on Rotten Tomatoes from viewers. I bet they looooved that shit.

I personally don't care about offending anyone. I even laughed at that Dan Harmon baby rape sketch. I still laugh a little when I think about it.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The idea that 1967 wasn't a long ass time ago is also fucking laughable. Surprised that wikipedia article isn't chiseled onto a stone tablet.

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
your ascension to progshit sjw is almost complete

edit: literally proving his point on why he did the joke

I'm not asking him to stop doing it. I'll just watch him less when he makes those jokes. What do you want me to tell you that I should enjoy something i didn't enjoy?

You can be a good comedian without going there.

• 1Salty
  • 1GreNeg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Or you could learn a thing or two about how mistakes and conflict lead people to be better and learn from them. Or a thing or two about how perception and propaganda can radically alter how you think about things or popular belief.

Guess where the most segregated schools in America are..The most segregated neighborhoods...the largest wealth inequality racially. It ain't anywhere in the South. After the civil rights act, by every metric we can measure the South has been more equal than most Liberal states, especially California and NY, where the stratification is some of the worst in the country.

blackpopulation_uscensus.jpg

(Note: Before the "great" migration, the number of blacks in the South was actually far, far higher, too--it wasn't until the 50's and 60's that a significant amount of black people moved to more Liberal northern states...When was that act passed to disarm black people? 1967? So strange! Almost like the moment California had black people, they immediately decided to oppress them). Racial conflict can only happen when you actually HAVE black people or racial minorities. All the problems you see in California? All happened with a tiny black population. The South has a far, far higher black population, which is why they were the flash point for a lot of civil rights action--its also why they had legal and institutional change on such a profound level.

Its why modern calls of racism are so obtuse. You're pointing at people that have been through the fire and come out better for it, from an ivory tower that waves the flag of diversity but keeps those negroes down to an "acceptable" level of visibility.

Says modern calls of racism are obtuse. Refers to a 50 year old law.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I'm not asking him to stop doing it. I'll just watch him less when he makes those jokes. What do you want me to tell you that I should enjoy something i didn't enjoy?

You can be a good comedian without going there.

How about enjoy what's actually good and not what your overlords command?

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Let me explain to you the Mulford Act in 1967:

Wikipedia said:
The Black Panther Party (BPP), originally the Black Panther Party for Self-Defense, was a revolutionary political organization founded by Bobby Seale and Huey Newton in October 1966 in Oakland, California.
At its inception on October 15, 1966,[6] the Black Panther Party's core practice was its armed citizens' patrols to monitor the behavior of officers of the Oakland Police Department, a practice later known as "copwatching", and challenge police brutality in the city.

Black Panther Party members were involved in many fatal firefights with police: Huey Newton allegedly killed officer John Frey in 1967, and Eldridge Cleaver led an ambush in 1968 of Oakland police officers, in which two officers were wounded and Panther Bobby Hutton was killed. The party suffered many internal conflicts, resulting in the murders of Alex Rackley and Betty Van Patter.

In 1967, the Mulford Act was passed by the California legislature and signed into law by governor Ronald Reagan, establishing strict gun laws that stripped legal ownership of firearms from Black Panther members and prevented all citizens, black and white, from carrying firearms in public.

I am not saying the Mulford Act was the correct reaction, nor am I going to say that there wasn't a complicated mess that led to creation of the Black Panthers but it was a reaction to cop killings and not racism.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How about enjoy what's actually good and not what your overlords command?
what overlord?

I guess you missed the part when I said that being abused as a teenager felt too close to home, as I was in that situation many years ago. I don't find comedy on it when an adult male think it is funny to joke about raping a younger boy.

I mean can I have permission from the maga crowd to not enjoy something? Is there a form I have to submit somewhere?

PS: I also find The whole character of pedobear hilarious, as that was my avatar for years, and i find hilarious joking about importing 16 year girls from Venezuela, i guess its the male-boy thing that triggers a bit.

Last edited:
  • 2Salty

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
what overlord?

I guess you missed the part when I said that being abused as a teenager felt too close to home, as I was in that situation many years ago. I don't find comedy on it when an adult male think it is funny to joke about raping a younger boy.

I mean can I have permission from the maga crowd to not enjoy something? Is there a form I have to submit somewhere?

I apologize for my original joke. Given general statistics surrounding the Latino / Hispanic culture when it comes to abuse (sexual and otherwise) of underage children I should have surmised why you didn't like it. Again, I apologize for perpetuating literal violence in the form of words.

• 2Like