Daybreak making new online RPG on UE4.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Meh. I felt like H1Z1 was behind the curve before it even launched. The whole 'zombies' thing was already fading. I get that you were passionate about it, but that game had a serious identity crisis. Nobody seem to know what they wanted it to be.. It's a survival game, it's a zombie game, it's a BR, it's this, it's that.. too many chefs in the kitchen.. It made a lot of money while it had direction, but when the game kept shifting focus over and over, people abandoned it.. Once you've lost critical mass on a game, it's insanely hard to get it back, especially when other titles like PUBG, Fortnite, and other BRs came along and just grabbed everyone!

Chris

Potato del Grande
If the EQ brand becomes its own company, that'll be VERY good for those games, because then you won't have management trying to steal EQ1 & EQ2's profits for some other game idea.. They'll be able to actually put that money into the games that earn it.
Is Everquest even a brand?

I know given this was an Everquest forum a lot of you guys are deeply invested, but do enough gamers feel that way to make it worth anything as a brand?

For example I think that the Warcraft brand was bigger than Everquest BEFORE WoW launched and while EQ1 was the largest MMO. People played WoW because it was the sequel to Warcraft 3 and a Blizzard game, not because they wanted a better version of Everquest. Final Fantasy 11 was the same, it had a legendary studio and IP behind it.

There are loads of IPs it would be better to build off than Everquest.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
EQ is still a money making game for DBG.. so yeah it's a brand.

Is EQ making enough money, that they could realistically put together an honest attempt at an "EQ3"? Assuming it doesn't have to anchor other games as well? I am obviously doubtful, but curious if that is even remotely possible, per your opinion.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I don’t think the issue is whether it could make money, but whether it would make them the most money. It’s like when you get an EA or an Activision type in control of an IP, their primary concern is getting the most return on their investment - why make a modest profit when you can add micro transactions and hope you get the next Fortnite? A big reason indies are making some of the better games is they are actually passionate about the vision of the game they are making, and then yeah hoping they can earn a living as well.

• 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I think gaming companies, like every other company, see the storm coming economically. IMO we're just seeing evidence of them buttoning down the hatches and preparing for what is to come.

Get as much money as we can right now because there may not be nearly as much disposable income available next year.

I would credit the shift at Blizzard to something similar. IMO We won't see AAA companies taking any risks whatsoever for the foreseeable future.

This isnt really new. There has been little to no innovation outside of Indies. It's like the movie industry.. recycled garbage for the most part.. the one good thing for customers DBG has is they are independent .

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is EQ making enough money, that they could realistically put together an honest attempt at an "EQ3"? Assuming it doesn't have to anchor other games as well? I am obviously doubtful, but curious if that is even remotely possible, per your opinion.

Brad is getting more funding for Pantheon by teaching DBG how to make a new game in unity.

• 1Worf

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Moving their games to different studios as they prepare to divest. Investment firms like to offload around the 5 year mark.

That or setting up some shell companies to smuggles that Russian mob money! 😂

• 1Like

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Then ever crack- next will release and you can buy drugs and guns and hookers in game instead of /pizza and we all win ?

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
Meh. I felt like H1Z1 was behind the curve before it even launched. The whole 'zombies' thing was already fading. I get that you were passionate about it, but that game had a serious identity crisis. Nobody seem to know what they wanted it to be.. It's a survival game, it's a zombie game, it's a BR, it's this, it's that.. too many chefs in the kitchen.. It made a lot of money while it had direction, but when the game kept shifting focus over and over, people abandoned it.. Once you've lost critical mass on a game, it's insanely hard to get it back, especially when other titles like PUBG, Fortnite, and other BRs came along and just grabbed everyone!
Clan raids were the most fun i have ever had in a video game. We once raided for 12 fucking hours, i went to sleep woke up 4 hours later and my clan was still raiding! I think our Clan leader said we had wasted 15,000 rounds of ammo that night. It was fucking insane. Game as a PVP clan war game was by far the best for me! Sooo fucking fun! Well when there were no hackers.. First game that had me online like the old Everquest days! Had a blast on the Survival side of it.