Daybreak making new online RPG on UE4.

Elidroth

Golden Knight of the Realm
12h 32m
Yeah but that's the last one. So it's not entirely accurate.

No more expacs
News to me.. It wouldn't surprise me given team size, but at the same time, EQ makes money, so I can't imagine why they'd stop development on it, especially when people buy them.

jayrebb

Blackwing Lair Raider
13d 1h 38m
News to me.. It wouldn't surprise me given team size, but at the same time, EQ makes money, so I can't imagine why they'd stop development on it, especially when people buy them.
It could be more of a threat to the playerbase saying you better buy this one. But I think anything's possible.

Flobee

Silver Knight of the Realm
9d 4h 59m
I think gaming companies, like every other company, see the storm coming economically. IMO we're just seeing evidence of them buttoning down the hatches and preparing for what is to come.

Get as much money as we can right now because there may not be nearly as much disposable income available next year.

I would credit the shift at Blizzard to something similar. IMO We won't see AAA companies taking any risks whatsoever for the foreseeable future.

• 2Like
Reactions: jayrebb and sike

Excidium

Molten Core Raider
20d 9h 55m
I think gaming companies, like every other company, see the storm coming economically. IMO we're just seeing evidence of them buttoning down the hatches and preparing for what is to come.

Get as much money as we can right now because there may not be nearly as much disposable income available next year.

I would credit the shift at Blizzard to something similar. IMO We won't see AAA companies taking any risks whatsoever for the foreseeable future.
Well they shouldn’t have shit on their players and fans with their money raping hidden payment schemes and brought in Marxist bullshit to railroad established franchises. I don’t PC game anymore not because I don’t have money or time. I don’t because they produced nothing but shit for multiple years running while wanting me to spend hundreds on their garbage. Now I play a switch casually and fill the extra time with fucking my
Lady more.

Tmac

Molten Core Raider
4d 8h 6m
Because AAA companies are known for taking risks?

It’s always been and will always be the smaller companies innovating the industry.

Reactions: Flobee

Flobee

Silver Knight of the Realm
9d 4h 59m
You're right, but EQ:Next was a risky venture even if it had been fully baked by a competent team/designer. Blizzard has been especially risk averse though so your point is well taken. All I'm saying is DBG releasing a Battle Royale game really shouldn't surprise any of us if they think it is a safe way to flip some PS2 assets to capitalize on a fad genre. Same thing with Blizzard trying to tap into the asian mobile market.

Tmac

Molten Core Raider
4d 8h 6m
You're right, but EQ:Next was a risky venture even if it had been fully baked by a competent team/designer. Blizzard has been especially risk averse though so your point is well taken. All I'm saying is DBG releasing a Battle Royale game really shouldn't surprise any of us if they think it is a safe way to flip some PS2 assets to capitalize on a fad genre. Same thing with Blizzard trying to tap into the asian mobile market.
Blizzard was owned by Vevendi when they were making their Warcraft games and were considered a niche studio. What made them a AAA studio was their wild success on World of Warcraft in 2004.

Since then, they've become a giant after merging with Activision. So, I think context is king when considering what they were when the innovated MMORPG's versus what they became after innovating the space. There's a reason none of the expansions have been innovative and have focuses on forcing players to remain engaged, rather than creating something fun that players choose to engage with.

A focus on fun leads to innovation and potentially big numbers. A focus on numbers lead to commercialization of fun, which is inherently unfun. That latter being the biggest problem with AAA studios, because they have such a big ship to maintain, they don't have the luxury of simply focusing on fun.