DC Universe (Batman vs Superman thread).

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've been subscribed to DC for over three months and all I've read so far is Hellblazer from the very beginning.

Clearly need to get up to speed on my Lobo.

spronk

FPS noob
gunn is holding a press event today to reveal his 5+ year DC plan, articles in variety/etc tomorrow although i'd expect some leaks today

Xerge

<Donor>
No way we'll get Bautista as Bane with the reset they're going for. Real curious about this conference

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Bautista stated he's not going to play Bane. He said Gunn is going younger for all the actors.

Makes sense if this is going to stretch over a decade.

No one is going to find a 64 year old Bane credible let alone the 54 year old he is now.

spronk

FPS noob

Reeves Batman will get a sequel starring Pattison still

Creature Commandos: An animated seven episode series, written by Gunn, that is already in production. Originally a team of classic monsters assembled to fight Nazis, this is a modern take on the concept. The voice actors have yet to be cast but the executives are looking to find people who can voice the animated characters and also portray the live-action versions when the anti-heroes to show up in movies and shows.

Waller: A spin-off of Gunn’s own HBO Max hit series, Peacemaker, Viola Davis will return as the ruthless and morally ambiguous head of a government task force. It is being written by Christal Henry (Watchmen) and Jeremy Carver, the creator of the Doom Patrol TV series.

Superman: Legacy: The movie featuring the Man of Steel that Gunn is writing and may direct, although no commitments on that end have been made. While the two previous titles are meant to be “aperatifs,” in Safran’s words, Superman is the true kick off for the duo’s DCU plans. “It’s not an origin story,” Safran said. “It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing. He is the embodiment of truth justice and the American way. He is kindness in a world that thinks that kindness as old-fashioned.” A release date of July 11, 2025 has been penciled in.

Lanterns: Greg Berlanti’s long-in-the-works Green Lanterns TV series has been scrapped and the duo have parted ways with the longtime DC series steward. In its place will be a new take on the space cops with power rings. “Our vision for this is very much in the vein of True Detective,” Safran described. “It’s terrestrial-based.” It will feature prominent Lantern heroes Hal Jordan and John Stewart and is one of the most important shows they have in development. “This plays a really big role in leading into the main story we are telling across film and TV.”

The Authority: a movie based on a team of superheroes with rather extreme methods of protecting the planet that first originated in the late 1990s under an influential imprint known as Wildstorm, run by artist and now head of DC publishing, Jim Lee. “One of the things of the DCU is that it’s not just a story of heroes and villains,” said Gunn. “Not every film and TV show is going to be about good guy vs. bad guy, giant things from the sky comes and good guy wins. There are white hats, black hats and grey hats.” Added Safran: “They are kinda like Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men. They know that you want them on the wall. Or at least they believe that.”

Paradise Lost: The duo describe this HBO Max series as a Game of Thrones-style drama set on the all-female island that is Wonder Woman’s birthplace, Themyscira, filled with political intrigue and scheming between power players. It takes place before the events of the Wonder Woman films.

The Brave and the Bold: “This is the introduction of the DCU Batman,” said Gunn. “Of Bruce Wayne and also introduces our favorite Robin, Damian Wayne, who is a little son of a bitch.” The movie will take inspiration from the now-classic Batman run written by Grant Morrison that introduced Batman to a son he never knew existed: a murderous tween raised by assassins. “It’s a very strange father-and-son story.”

And, importantly, it will feature a Batman not played by Robert Pattinson…

The Batman sequel: Pattinson will continue to portray the Dark Knight in at least one more crime saga movie directed by Matt Reeves. That movie, the executives revealed, will be released Oct. 3, 2025 and is being titled The Batman Part II.

“2025 is going to be a very big year for DC,” crowed Safran. “Superman and Batman within the same year.”

Booster Gold: an HBO Max series based on a unique and lower-tiered hero created in 1986. Safran said of the series, “It’s about a loser from the future who uses basic future technology to come back to today and pretend to be a superhero.” Gunn described it as “imposter syndrome as superhero.”

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow: Taking its cues from the recent Tom King-written mini-series, this movie project promises to have a different take than what most think of when the idea of Superman’s cousin comes to mind. “We will see the difference between Superman, who was sent to Earth and raised by loving parents from the time he was an infant, versus Supergirl, raised on a rock, a chip off of Krypton, and who watched everyone around her die and be killed in terrible ways for the first 14 years of her life and then come to Earth. She is much more hardcore and not the Supergirl we’re used to.”

Swamp Thing: a horror film that promises to close out the first part of the first chapter.

honestly not really excited for any of that besides Batman and maybe lesbian island

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Look forward to seeing how they pull it off. I'm not really a fan of (or even familiar with) many of these properties, but I also was more of an X-Men fan than an Avengers fan and the MCU sold me.

Make good movies, first and foremost. The connective tissue is a bonus.

At this rate any big huge Justice League movie is a decade out it feels like - which is kinda how it should have been to begin with.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Goatface

Creature Commandos - promising
Waller - hard pass
Superman: Legacy - weak maybe
Lanterns - maybe
The Authority - what i remember, edge lord shit with gay batman?
Paradise Lost - pass
The Brave and the Bold - why the hell can't they do a good robin then bring in damian
Booster Gold - weak maybe, he will be gay
Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow - cw meets the boys
Swamp Thing - is hit or miss with me. seems like would be better as a series.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Looks like Robert Pattinson 2025 stocks went up just being the only tangible thing on the release schedule.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob

greg is the guy whose run all the (shitty?) CW & HBO live DC shows like Flash, Arrow, Stargirl, Doom Patrol, etc

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
greg is the guy whose run all the (shitty?) CW & HBO live DC shows like Flash, Arrow, Stargirl, Doom Patrol, etc
Berlanti did great with the Arrowverse til the SJW's started messing with the shows. Arrow had some amazing seasons as did The Flash, but my favorite CW show was Legends of Tomorrow. HBOMax had the meh Titans, a good adaption of Stargirl, and probably the best show of them all in Doom Patrol. Supergirl and Batgirl were really the nails in the coffin the Arrowverse. They came back strong with Superman and Lois, which is the only remaining show. They did the smart thing and kind of moved that show away from the other Arrowverse shows, which is probably why it is still going.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thank god. Arrow and Flash started out good but then fell off after a couple season. The love stories in every show was just tiresome and forced. Doom Patrol was the only thing that felt fresh.

• 1Like

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The Authority is a ballsy thing to have as part of your opening slate. Standing up Apollo and Midnighter while you are simultaneously re-launching Superman and Batman seems weird.

Lanterns are cosmic space opera... that's what they are there for. If you want True Detective and you don't want it to be Batman then get The Question or someone of that nature.

Using The Brave and the Bold as a Batman & Robin vehicle instead of as a team-up series is just fucking dumb.

Im definitely down for some Creature Commandos however.

• 1Like

Sevens

Log Wizard
Not really impressed with this line up, But Gunn has given us some great movies and Tv shows in the super hero genre so Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Mostly just glad to see DC with a road map and a vision...as long as they hold to it.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Not really impressed with this line up, But Gunn has given us some great movies and Tv shows in the super hero genre so Im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Mostly just glad to see DC with a road map and a vision...as long as they hold to it.
The thing is, when is Gunn's quirky stuff too much.
I mean he says he is doing "young" Superman, but if Damian is around then it is a very experienced Batman. I want some Lanterns, but not a terrestrial based "True Detective" version. No talk of Peacemaker season 2, but we get Waller. Paradise Lost is Amazonian politics? So basically an island of bitchy women... And I can't wait for the tranny Amazons. I never read The Authority, but I would have rather had wildcats or Youngblood if you are raping Image for ideas. Creature Commandos sounds fun. As for Booster Gold, never been a huge fan, but it could be good depending on the actor. Oh and angsty Supergirl when we could have had Power Girl.