DC Universe Online

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Is there any must have DLC for a f2p player? Do you unlock the premium account by buying one?
Might want to just subscribe for a month you will probably be done with the game in 30 days and you'll have access to the whole shebang

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord

Okay, I think it's time for me to warm up the Lifetime. This looks pretty intriguing.

One of the biggest annoyances since about six months after launch I had about DCUO was that clipping bullshit. In order to do any kind of damage you have to do that constantly and it just takes a toll on your fingers and I just got worn out, only being able to take the game in spurts. But this right here seems like a really good alternative that suits me from what I read. Not only do you not have to button press like a crazy man anymore, but you will actually be able to let your animations run their full course to see them fully play out. (and no more of that jumping nonsense)

Aside from the fact that it will be easier to play and better for non-dps classes, I like how they are trying to let more theme get into the game. As someone who loves handblasters and might, this really makes me happy.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole

Okay, I think it's time for me to warm up the Lifetime. This looks pretty intriguing.

One of the biggest annoyances since about six months after launch I had about DCUO was that clipping bullshit. In order to do any kind of damage you have to do that constantly and it just takes a toll on your fingers and I just got worn out, only being able to take the game in spurts. But this right here seems like a really good alternative that suits me from what I read. Not only do you not have to button press like a crazy man anymore, but you will actually be able to let your animations run their full course to see them fully play out. (and no more of that jumping nonsense)

Aside from the fact that it will be easier to play and better for non-dps classes, I like how they are trying to let more theme get into the game. As someone who loves handblasters and might, this really makes me happy.
There is nothing the matter with clipping, and it separates the good players from the bad ones. I'm not liking the change. All of my toons are DPS toons, and clip like crazy. Getting rid of jump clipping sucks, and it's going to neuter HL and Gadgets dps. One reason why those classes do so well at DPS is because their powers are easily clipped. For tear gas in gadgets, that's like a ten second animation. With jump clipping, it's like 1/2 second. It's going to be really boring sitting there waiting on animations like that to run out.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
There is nothing the matter with clipping, and it separates the good players from the bad ones.
So if I'm a great clipper but I don't know how to fucking PoT or whennotto CC mobs as a troller, don't know how to hold hate as a tank or what Dominance is/isn't for, play healer and can't heal worth a crap and let people die while I have a full power bar.. I'm still a good player right?

C'mon man, really?

It's going to be really boring sitting there waiting on animations like that to run out.
The new changes aren't for you. They specifically said if you want to clip, by all means continue to clip. It's not going to affect how you play at all. You can still be a 'good player'. If you don't feel like watching the animations through, then don't.. keep clipping.

That's for the other 'bad players' who actually like to watch them.

Take two clippers, both good, then give one a handblaster and one dual wielding and see who's better. Then have them play tank and after switch to dps. That's another thing this is supposed to even out; to put more parity amongst the weapons as well so people aren't forced into one role using one or two types of weapons only.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So if I'm a great clipper but I don't know how to fucking PoT or whennotto CC mobs as a troller, don't know how to hold hate as a tank or what Dominance is/isn't for, play healer and can't heal worth a crap and let people die while I have a full power bar.. I'm still a good player right?
Healers and trollers worth a damn are clipping.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Healers and trollers worth a damn are clipping.
No, healers that can heal and trollers that can provide the PoT are worth a damn, otherwise why bring them along if you're just going to have people that die because they can do good DPS?

Clipping by itself is not means of 'skill' or being a good player. It just means some monkey figured out the proper sequence to doing something. Hell, you can macro a clip. Unless that person is a straight DPS, it really isn't the most important indicator of how good someone will play overall. That's like saying good gear makes a great player, when that person could have been carried through content.

If SOE said "Okay, we are going to remove clipping and put in Weapon Mastery instead", then I'd see your point of contention but that's not what's happening. Clipping is still extremely valuable and they even said they view it that way and will keep it in unchanged. No one who clips will have their gameplay affected one bit, unless it's because they have a bruised ego that someone who goes the Mastery route is doing just as much damage as they are doing the 'right way' (clipping).

All they are doing now is allowing people to have more choices as to how they gameplay and what they want their character theme to be, without being gimped and penalized for having made that choice. I'm not sure what your big complaint is about that. More choices are a good thing as a customer.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
No, healers that can heal and trollers that can provide the PoT are worth a damn, otherwise why bring them along if you're just going to have people that die because they can do good DPS?

Clipping by itself is not means of 'skill' or being a good player. It just means some monkey figured out the proper sequence to doing something. Hell, you can macro a clip. Unless that person is a straight DPS, it really isn't the most important indicator of how good someone will play overall. That's like saying good gear makes a great player, when that person could have been carried through content.

If SOE said "Okay, we are going to remove clipping and put in Weapon Mastery instead", then I'd see your point of contention but that's not what's happening. Clipping is still extremely valuable and they even said they view it that way and will keep it in unchanged. No one who clips will have their gameplay affected one bit, unless it's because they have a bruised ego that someone who goes the Mastery route is doing just as much damage as they are doing the 'right way' (clipping).

All they are doing now is allowing people to have more choices as to how they gameplay and what they want their character theme to be, without being gimped and penalized for having made that choice. I'm not sure what your big complaint is about that. More choices are a good thing as a customer.
I've been grouping in way too many PUG's at t4 and t5, where the people were unable to clip. We had a guy in our league (who we never kicked out, I guess we were soft) that had great gear as a DPS, yet was always beaten by the tank, because he didn't know how to clip.

I'm OK with them making an alternate system, but I'm not liking them removing jump clipping.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
so wait, when i quit in december 2011 there was no clipping for dps? when did this become a thing

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I've been grouping in way too many PUG's at t4 and t5, where the people were unable to clip. We had a guy in our league (who we never kicked out, I guess we were soft) that had great gear as a DPS, yet was always beaten by the tank, because he didn't know how to clip.

I'm OK with them making an alternate system, but I'm not liking them removing jump clipping.
I must have missed that which is entirely possible, but I still don't think I've seen where SOE said they are removing that, but you keep repeating it.

I think you hit the nail on the head though. That'sexactly whythey are doing Weapon Mastery... because they know there are people who are paying but aren't good at clipping. So one of the reasons is to allow them to get 'better' by skipping that part and just making them do as much damage via alternate route so parties don't get screwed up. The side benefit (or main depending on who you talk to) is that it also allows people to 'theme' exactly the way they want making their toon look and perform like their comic book ideal.

Half of DCUO is about looks of a character for a lot of players, so it only makes sense to allow them to sport and use weapons that fit their ideal rather than "No, we don't want a handblaster tank.. sorry. They simply can't clip fast enough unless you're very good'.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Jump clipping is going away, it's on the boards. They are concerned about the extra hit you get (called the "invisible triangle" move). If you use rifles, you get a free and instantaneous grenade in some of your combos (which can hit for pretty decent damage). I'm pretty sure that is usually a two second charge up, but the jump clipping makes it instant. Hard light and gadgets are going to suffer the most with that change, expect them to drop down on the scorecard.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Whoa, been nearly a year... so Lyrical, or anyone else wanna give an update on this? What's been happening? Going to run around in game a bit on PS4, as a filler until EQ Progression servers happen.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Clipping needs to go. It's like bunny hopping. At first it defined the men from the boys but after a few months it was just needless tedium and a huge barrier to entry for new players. If the only way you can show 'skill' in a game is by abusing a bug then the bug and the game needs fixed. I can honestly say there was never a time when i was clipping where I was like, "THIS ADDS A LOT TO THE VALUE OF MY GAME PLAY!"

This game had amazing potential and between this, the "HOW CAN WE FUCK THIS UP, I KNOW HOW! 'HOLY TRINITY STANCES YAY!'" and the extreme Rock-paper-scissors PvP...blargh.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Clipping as in clipping of cast animations? Stutter stepping?
Sounds like just an animation interrupt, kind of like combos in the original Street Fighter 2, where you'd punch, and mid animation shoot a fireball for a 2 hit combo.

Then of course, people take it to the next level, and combo it with a neck kick to a crouching super triple dragon punch followed by a random re-dizzying combo and some Guile Handcuffs. Super easy, and if you don't do it you're a baddie! /jk

I don't think the SF2 combos were intended by the developers, and I'm fairly certain the same was true for DCUO.

Vycarious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I played this casually for a bit on the computer when it first came out but decided to give it a go on the ps4. Are there any must have dlc's? Anything I need to know from not playing it for years? Playing a hero nature healer.