DC Universe Online

Troll_sl

shitlord
Also, if you're interested in the DLCs, make sure you just pay for a 1 month membership. You get everything, plus 500sc for $15, instead of what, $10 a pop for a DLC? One of the best MMO deals out there.

Edit: And just a bit of perspective: 500 SC is 150 replay tokens.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Also, if you're interested in the DLCs, make sure you just pay for a 1 month membership. You get everything, plus 500sc for $15, instead of what, $10 a pop for a DLC? One of the best MMO deals out there.

Edit: And just a bit of perspective: 500 SC is 150 replay tokens.
You get access to the DLCs but you don't own them. I subbed last year to try out the Light Powers and right now as FTP I cannot access that Power Set.

Correction: I can access a Light CHaracter I made last year, but I cannot create a new Light character or any of the other new powers.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I use both. For UI interaction, the gamepad is often faster/better (mainly because the kb/m interface is retarded about shit like selling items and organizing your mailbox). I've never found the gamepad controls to be good enough for anything but leveling and solo missions though. No idea how the PS3 people manage to do everything with it, though I seem to recall reading that there's actual game balance changes on their servers to account for how clunky the controls can be at times.

Hinadurus_sl

shitlord
I just downloaded this yesterday on ps3, lots of guys at work play it. Character creation was pretty cool, obviously loved the scinematic, I think I'll pay for a month to unlock lightning. I went with superman mentor and ice with hand blast.

Combat seems a little loose maybe, might just be the console or could be the game in general. I didn't even make it through the tutorial, but I had company over shortly after I hopped on so I couldn't really sit down with it. The locking on to every enemy by holding r1 seemed kinda tedious.

Any basic tips for console beginners?

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I just downloaded this yesterday on ps3, lots of guys at work play it. Character creation was pretty cool, obviously loved the scinematic, I think I'll pay for a month to unlock lightning. I went with superman mentor and ice with hand blast.

Combat seems a little loose maybe, might just be the console or could be the game in general. I didn't even make it through the tutorial, but I had company over shortly after I hopped on so I couldn't really sit down with it. The locking on to every enemy by holding r1 seemed kinda tedious.

Any basic tips for console beginners?
Lightning is good for healing, but DPS wise it's not doing too hot in T5. There just aren't alot of mobs to AOE, so it's pretty much parsing last.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
https://www.dcuniverseonline.com/new...or-letter-dcuo

Hello DCUO community!

It is great to be addressing you again now that we have officially announced our eighth DLC Pack - Sons of Trigon. At launch, one of the major magic-based storylines involved a battle between the Cult of Blood and the Sentinels of Magic; Brother Blood was trying to summon Trigon while Doctor Fate rallied the Sentinels to oppose him. The storyline had a huge cast of legendary characters: Raven & the Titans, Zatanna, Circe, and Wonder Woman, just to name a few. Raven was key to Brother Blood's plan, and in the end.the villains won! There has been a major cliffhanger out there - what happened to Trigon - and we're finally going to find out.

Sons of Trigon explores a new zone - a hellish version of Gotham City trapped halfway between Trigon's dimension and our own. The zone is really amazing and we can't wait to show it off to you. I know you are going to love what you see. In the Gotham Wastelands, Trigon battles to free himself from the magical shackles that have kept him trapped for so long. He has called upon his sons to compete to free him and thereby become his herald when he enters the realm of Earth.

We'll be adding some amazing characters into the mix with Sons of Trigon. You're going to meet some people you have never seen before along with some old favorites getting a chance to expand their roles. Of course the Titans will be there to help their ally, Raven. You'll see the magic mentors as well - Wonder Woman and Circe. They will be joined by the Fearsome Five: Psimon, Mammoth, Jinx, Gizmo and Doctor Light. You're even going to see some real fan favorites like Gentlemen Ghost, Cheetah and..wait for it.John Constantine!

I want you to experience the details of the story for yourself when you get the DLC, so I'll leave the narrative there for now, and tell you about some other features included in the DLC.

Beyond content, Sons of Trigon introduces a brand new power: Celestial. The two trees in the power are called Cursed and Blessed. Both heroes and villains will be able to use a new type of combo powering, to cleanse or corrupt their power into the opposing Cursed or Blessed version. This new mechanic offers a new action packed way to play the healing support role. I think you're going to love the challenge of mastering Celestial. Tune in for more information on that during SOE Live.

In addition to the new power, we are introducing two Legends characters. The first is Donna Troy. Donna is amazingly powerful. She uses many magical weapons bestowed upon the Amazons by the gods, including her own magic lasso. You will also be able to unlock Cheetah. I love this character and I know you will too. Cheetah not only has an amazing feel to her combat, but she is the first speedster to enter the Legends roster. As a bonus tie in to Sons of Trigon, we will be introducing Wonder Woman and Circe to the Legends roster via the marketplace later this year.

The content itself will include many open world missions dealing with the Sin demons - who have had a huge visual upgrade with this DLC. There are 3 duos, each themed around 2 of the sinful sons. And let's not forget joining Wonder Woman or Circe in an Alert featuring Trigon himself. You are not going to want to miss this IMMENSE boss in action.

There are of course many feats, styles, and other goodies to collect with the DLC, but that covers it in a nutshell. We'll be featuring more information at SOE Live and in the coming weeks before the DLC releases, so keep your eyes peeled.

Jens Andersen
Sr. Creative Director
DC Universe Online

So everyone gets loot now in dungeons and raids soon, this feature will end up in Next along with lockboxes you need keys from the cash shop like VG and Neverwinter,STO etc.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08...oot-mechanics/

Even though the focus of DC Universe Online's presence at SOE Live was the upcoming DLC Sons of Trigon, SOE had some other superheroic news to deliver as well.

The devs are rebooting the game's loot system, so now when groups and raids kill a boss, every single person will get items of their very own. The items will be random as far as piece and class, so no one is assured to get something they can actually use. Although no exact date was given, Creative Director Jens Andersen stated that the change would be rolled out in stages instead of waiting for the entire system to be overhauled. He added that the newer tiers would see the change first, then the lower levels.

Keep an eye out for our upcoming DCUO panel impressions for more info.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Finally getting some cool raid bosses. You've got such badassl characters like Parallax and Anti-monitor that would be fitting for a raid, but we're fighting guys like Bizarro, Brother eye, and Zod. Even Doomsday would be awesome for the T1 stuff.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I finally have a PC that can run this game like a boss, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's cool to interact with Superman, Batman, Wonderwoman, Flash, etc. I'm only a casual comic book guy so I've never heard of half of the villains I've encountered and some of them are so corny that I can't believe they're real comic book characters.

Anyway, I have a feeling I'm one of those shitty players people in this thread complain about because I don't really know what the hell I'm doing. I have some questions for people experienced with the game:

1) When I'm in a group and acting as healer, what exactly should I be doing? I mean, should I be mixing it up with all the dps people and just healing as needed, or should I be playing a more "traditional" healer role and conserving my energy for my healing abilities?

1a) On a similar note, how should I be replenishing my energy when grouping? I seem to run out incredibly quickly. Is Soder Cola the only way to replenish it on the fly? I've noticed some of those healing barrels placed around, am I supposed to make strategic use of those to keep my energy topped off?

2) I don't know what the hell the various stats do or how they affect me, but should I even be worrying about that as I level up? I'm still pretty low level so I've just been equipping whatever item is higher item level, without regard for the specific stats they offer.

3) Is grouping at high levels as chaotic and disorganized as it is at low levels? I've only done a couple so far (Area 51 and Gorilla Island/Ultra Humanite) but it was basically 3 other people all soloing until a boss spawned. I'm assuming that at this point in the game it's similar to WoW, in that people just want to burn through the instances as quickly as possible and they aren't really a big challenge anymore.

4) Is there any way to know what level/what powers a person is? I see lots of people running around but I can't seem to figure out how to target/inspect them so I have no clue how powerful they are. I saw a guy who was open for dueling in the newbie area so I initaited a duel, and he was insanely high level and one-shot me.

5) Is there any way to tell what buffs I have on me? I've got a power that imbues my weapon, but I cast it and nothing happens. I noticed I can hit "F1" and see active effects, but is there any easy, graphical representation of buffs?

Some of these might be stupid questions and maybe I'm just overlooking things, but the UI is such complete and utter ass that it's hard to figure some stuff out compared with other MMOs.

P.S. Character name is "Oggok" on the PVE server. I only play occasionally, but feel free to say hi if you see me online.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
You should really only have healing/shielding abilities on your healer loadout. Don't waste power by putting out terrible dps.

Regen power by doing weapon combos. When your combo meter is rising you get power back faster. Fast ranged weapons are usually best. I prefer handblasters, but bow/pistols/rifle should do fine as well. You're mostly doing it just for power regen, whatever dps you put out is just bonus.

As a healer restoration is all that matters. For dps, its either might or precision depending on your power.

You can inspect people by going to group ? persons name ? inspect. Most people are level 30 as that only takes a day or two and its more about the combat rating of their gear.

It does get more organized as you get into deeper stuff. You need tanks/healers to be around you more when you're fighting tougher guys, but a lot of that depends on the group. Some overgeared people can kind of do their own thing and be ok.

Under your health/power bar there's icons for when you get buffs. Lightning bolt means increased regen from a controller and a target usually means a dps buff. Just watch what comes up when you do your buff and you'll know the icon.

To find out their power you have to either ask or wait until they use a power.

I could give you more tips if you let me know what power you are

iannis

Musty Nester
#1 depends on if you're nat/sorc/elec, but you really only need like 1 attack power on your bar if you're in healer role. For 1a you need to have a controller that doesn't suck... or just straight up a controller. Most groups won't have one. You'll also want a fast weapon. Energy replenishes based on you attacking and the color/tier of your hitcounter. Handblast used to be good for that as it builds the hit tier most quickly and the animations are easily clipable.

#2 for healing role, restoration is the only thing that is important. Use your skill points to buy it where you can. As far as gear goes there's really no diversity at all. If it's marked healer and has more resto, that's your upgrade.

Unfortunately the answer to #3 is -- yes, it pretty much is. Everyone outside of a raid is either going to be overgeared and running around soloing (or trying to solo), or rarely they will be undergeared and just idiots.

#4 and #5 There is a way, but it's a monumental pain in the ass. The UI is just shitty.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Everything has already been answered. But I want to make it clear, other than having a good controller, if you want to build power and supercharge fast, pick a weapon like HB/Pistol/Bow/Rifle for the faster regen. On my troller, I dump all power, and then do the faster attacks to get to 20, 30 or 40 hits. If you use a power, your hit counter starts over and regen is slower. Keep that in mind.

I need to start playing again, but I've been super busy in RL.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Thanks for all the information. I made a new character on PvE villain side as a mental/pistol controller. I am enjoying him a lot more so I'm most likely going to continue leveling him up.

Another question: I noticed that the other weapon skills (i.e bow, hand blast, etc.) have opened up for me as I've increased in levels. Is there any reason for me to take another weapon skill or should I just dump all of my points into pistols? I notice that pistols has a +5-per-skill point vitalization skill. Is it useful to find other weapon skills with other useful stats and pick those up, even if I never actually use the weapon itself?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Skill points are extremely important for the passives, even if you don't use the weapons. You get a skill point every other level, and also for every 100 feat points. Feats are basically DCUO's version of achievements. The two bottom rows for each weapons are all passives, as well as the line down the middle. I'd recommend getting the passives in the top row that fill your role (vitalization, crit power chance, and dominance for controller) then going back for the bottom row afterwards. The top row gives much larger bonuses so they're more bang for your buck.

You can also respec as many times as you want for a small fee so you can't ruin your character by making bad choices.

Also, as a controller your #1 job is giving power to your group. The top ability is each power tree gives out a buff to your group that increases their power regen significantly. You can tell it's up because there's a lightning bolt icon under your power bar. Make sure it's always up and you'll be doing your job. There's also a "give your power to your group" ability in each tree. Use that if healer is out of power or you have a boss dps who drains their power fast. If you have a shitty dps who's draining their power too fast then don't waste the power.

On a final note, villians have a much smaller population so finding a good league and getting into groups/raids is going to be alot tougher than Hero side