DC Universe Online

Blackyce

Silver Knight of the Realm
So DCUO is a F2P so I decided to download it on my new PS4.

They've added a lot of stuff considering the game is just under 2yrs old. Rolled up a villain and was playing with a friend of mine who got the PS4 as well. Lots of people on the PvP server and lots of new characters.

Was a lot of fun though once my friend and I got voice working so we could chat in game without having to use the god awful chat box.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure if anyone cares, but it's confirmed that Red Lanterns are going to be added to the game soon. Probably Blue and Purple will be next.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
So DCUO is a F2P so I decided to download it on my new PS4.

They've added a lot of stuff considering the game is just under 2yrs old. Rolled up a villain and was playing with a friend of mine who got the PS4 as well. Lots of people on the PvP server and lots of new characters.

Was a lot of fun though once my friend and I got voice working so we could chat in game without having to use the god awful chat box.
It's coming up on 3 years, bud

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
What was wrong with the graphics? It's stylized animation style, I thought it looked pretty good.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did the game get a good graphic update with the ps4 release?
Sorta basically they boosted it to PC level graphics but I don't think anything more than that. Still it was a fine looking game and there is nothing wrong with the PC graphics quality wise.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm glad Lyrical still posts in this thread from time to time. I enjoy hearing about this game, as while I don't play it anymore, it's one of the few games that hooked me hard in the beginning, and I couldn't put it down for quite a while back when it was first released.

iannis

Musty Nester
Its gone rotten with the cash shop, absolutely rotten, and they recently revoked everyones SonyBucks in favor of PlaystationDollahs. More the fool you for hoarding company scrip, I have no pity. But still, it's slimy. Everything about the administration of the game is slimy.

It was a neat little game. It's too bad that it was managed so poorly.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Red Lanterns were released this week. They play like Green Lanterns, only not so much. Their are less combos (you can only combo twice), and the powers are more direct and forward. So there's less finesse involved, for DPS. For tanking, they are like fire tanks, in that they spit blood from their rings that gives them health back. So, in that respect, they are like Shadowknights.

TCB_sl

shitlord
That looks like big fun, I'll have to check it out. I loved the original hard light powerset, so much that it kinda ruined traditional MMO hotbar combat for me. But I took a break soon after the DLC with Quantum controllers was released, so I think I'm 2 DLCs behind now. My troller has 95 CR I think, and my healer a couple points below that, so I worry I'm too far behind to catch up now given the absurd CR requirements of most groups and raids that I remember.

Also: Red Lanterns as heroes? Warner Bros. sure does give SOE plenty of leeway with their IPs, it seems. First Jedis galore in SWG, then they killed Morpheus in Matrix Online, and now this. Then again, the Green Lantern show on Cartoon Network had a Red dude who turned good, so maybe it's ok.

edit: Star Wars isn't WB, is it? My bad. Dang, my mind is getting foggy in my old age.

Column_sl

shitlord
Red lanterns are not necessarily evil, they are just prone to extreme violence, and rage.

Like the Hulk is considered a hero, even tho he can go off the charts, and level an entire city.

TCB_sl

shitlord
Red lanterns are not necessarily evil, they are just prone to extreme violence, and rage.

Like the Hulk is considered a hero, even tho he can go off the charts, and level an entire city.
Huh, interesting. I assumed they were villainous, what with the spitting blood on their enemies and all.

I'd like to see Black Lanterns in this game. They're totally evil, yes? I'm just a casual fan of this comics stuff, but I like the Black Lanterns because they always looked really spooky.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Huh, interesting. I assumed they were villainous, what with the spitting blood on their enemies and all.

I'd like to see Black Lanterns in this game. They're totally evil, yes? I'm just a casual fan of this comics stuff, but I like the Black Lanterns because they always looked really spooky.
I enjoy spitting blood and having it turn to fire on people in PVP. It gives me an erection.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
With VG closing I am thinking of giving this a try since I will have soe all-access soon.

I have only played traditional combat mmo's IE: IE EQ, EQ2, WoW ect... I hear this has "action combat" what does this mean and is it fun?

How is playing a healer in this game? I can imagine with the actiony combat it could either be pretty cool or awful.

How many months of content is there for the normal person?

I don't care for, and basically don't get comics. Is it really necessary to enjoy the DC universe or w/e to enjoy this?

Column_sl

shitlord
I'm no expert at this game, but Ive played a little.

The game is an action game, I.E. it's meant to play on a controller. So expect minimal menus, and more twitch like gaming.

There is a shitload of content, like 9-10 expansions worth??

You don't need to know anything about DC to enjoy this.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
The combat in this kind of tired me out. It was fun for sure, but the constant movement and button mashing was exhausting and I found myself only playing for short, 30-minute bursts or so.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
The combat in this kind of tired me out. It was fun for sure, but the constant movement and button mashing was exhausting and I found myself only playing for short, 30-minute bursts or so.
???

So you enjoy just standing toe to toe with mobs, and hitting buttons when they become refreshed? The combat has kept me playing this game all of these years. I went back to WOW and EQ2, and it felt like I was fighting in mud. The combat separates players among skill level. I regularly destroy people in PVP that I shouldn't be able to, because they suck at timing. I rolled a new toon up, and in greens was destroying people in purples. I PVP a lot, so I know what I'm doing.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
With VG closing I am thinking of giving this a try since I will have soe all-access soon.

I have only played traditional combat mmo's IE: IE EQ, EQ2, WoW ect... I hear this has "action combat" what does this mean and is it fun?

How is playing a healer in this game? I can imagine with the actiony combat it could either be pretty cool or awful.

How many months of content is there for the normal person?

I don't care for, and basically don't get comics. Is it really necessary to enjoy the DC universe or w/e to enjoy this?
Healing is OK, but remember, in this game, heals aren't targetable. They go to the player that most needs the heals. So if you are in an encounter, and the DPS is taking too much splash damage, the tank is screwed. At higher levels, learning how to clip frames will be important in raids, but that's not an issue to start.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
???

So you enjoy just standing toe to toe with mobs, and hitting buttons when they become refreshed? The combat has kept me playing this game all of these years. I went back to WOW and EQ2, and it felt like I was fighting in mud. The combat separates players among skill level. I regularly destroy people in PVP that I shouldn't be able to, because they suck at timing. I rolled a new toon up, and in greens was destroying people in purples. I PVP a lot, so I know what I'm doing.
I said in my post that I thought DCUO's combat "was fun for sure". That doesn't mean it didn't get tiring doing the various combos and whatnot. It's the same reason I'm unlikely to sit and play some action-platforming or fighting game for several hours at a time. It doesn't say anything negative about the game, but that kind of constant, non-stop action just doesn't work for me for long stretches.

I enjoy WoW's slower--but still very fluid--combat as well. I'm not saying it's better than DCUO's action combat, but ratherdifferent.

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Is there any must have DLC for a f2p player? Do you unlock the premium account by buying one?