DDO (D&D Online)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Fuck UMD in the urethra. If you want to be a wand person roll a class with umd. BRD/Arti or roll a half elf with the dilettante for whichever type of wands you want to use. I like wiz for detect secret doors. Adds a lot of xp to lower level stuff.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I mean I do like that there are differing layers of complexity. There's the "Pale trapper" build which you can do as a completely ftp player and will let you solo to level 20 quite easily and is really fun. Then there's the "Wizard Ninja" build meant for end game damage, trapping and spell casting which requires true resurrecting like 36 times, requires some of the best gear in the game and dropping money on tomes, packs and etc...

But then to play the Wizard Ninja you're constantly swapping your off hand weapon, swapping in rings/necklaces to up your DC/spell pen whenever you cast then swapping it back out for your melee gear, need max UMD to keep the right spells up and need to farm/buy tons of scrolls and so on and so forth. While the pale trapper can be naked and needs no UMD.

But then it depends on if you just want to play to the level 20 end game or solo epic elite raids.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I mean I do like that there are differing layers of complexity. There's the "Pale trapper" build which you can do as a completely ftp player and will let you solo to level 20 quite easily and is really fun. Then there's the "Wizard Ninja" build meant for end game damage, trapping and spell casting which requires true resurrecting like 36 times, requires some of the best gear in the game and dropping money on tomes, packs and etc...

But then to play the Wizard Ninja you're constantly swapping your off hand weapon, swapping in rings/necklaces to up your DC/spell pen whenever you cast then swapping it back out for your melee gear, need max UMD to keep the right spells up and need to farm/buy tons of scrolls and so on and so forth. While the pale trapper can be naked and needs no UMD.

But then it depends on if you just want to play to the level 20 end game or solo epic elite raids.
Right now I have a druid and ranger that are pure builds at mid level. Whichever gets to 20 first will get my tomes and stuff then TR time.Probably do a full round of TRs for completionist before I start doing epic levels. Then a round of 25s, then a round of 28s for full EDs and full completionist on everything. Then I will retire and die happy, because that will probably take me 40 years.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have TR'd 8 times and I've been playing since release and super casual. I've never done the epic level stuff yet.

I also probably look retarded because I'll level a character to 20 then stop playing for a long time. I come back to games and I die to all the traps in the dungeons because I forgot about them.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Seen it mentioned a few times in the thread, what's TR?

I'm a sucker for D&D stuff, and will probably load this up and try it out while waiting for the neverwinter expac next week. Are the "cash" features able to be earned through in-game ways, or are they strictly cash only?

Guess I'll try rogue based on the importance of trap finding. Are they decent soloers?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
True Reincarnate. Lesser reincarnates allow you a limited respec, you can mix things around a bit, pick different feats and skills, but you can't change what classes you took. So if I reincarnate my 18 pal/2 rogue, he has to stay an 18 pal/2 rogue, but I can change everything else.

True Reincarnate you actually start over at level 1. You get a bonus feat based on what your dominant class was in your previous life (so a barbarian, for example, gets +10 hps) that stack up to three times. The first three times you TR it also increases the amount of stat points you get to build your character with, up to a max of 36. The xp you need to hit 20 increases each time you TR, but I believe that caps after 3 TRs as well.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Pure rogue is a terrible solo class. It's doable because anything is doable with a cleric hireling but there are better variants. Mostly you want a class with a reliable way to heal itself. Paladin is probably the most beastmode soloist right now. What most people do is splash 2 levels of rogue for a ton of skillpoints + nice feats that come with lvl2 rogue and then just spend the other 18 levels on another class that compliments it like ranger or bard.

You can earn DDO points in game but it's at such a glacial pace that you probably won't ever get enough for it to really be meaningful. From what I recall some people figured out that if you optimzied grinding out DDO points in game it amounts to something like 57 cents an hour. There's enough low level content that I wouldn't even know what to recommend getting. More bag space maybe but even that's not all that useful.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Spent a while reading up on mechanics, decided to do the pale trapper build (2 rogue, 18 wiz). A friend decided to try it out as well, and he's gonna go pure cleric. Got through the starter island so far. The graphics, and especially the UI definitely show their age, but the class depth and game mechanics are enjoyable so far. Feel free to mail a guild invite to Sinzarr, Muraki, or both.

Edit: Sarlona server

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Invite sent.

Pale trapper I found to be a lot of fun. It's a little slow to start because low level wizards suck but then you hit 8 and get death aura, firewall and vampire form and it's just a lollercoaster from then on out. It's not at all epic raid game capable because of the age old EQ hybrid problem where you can do everything 80% as well as any other class can do one thing 100%. Great for solo'ing/groups but shit for raiding.

The community in the game is hit and miss as well. The number of people who join my groups and then find out I'm not doing something on elite difficulty because I haven't TR'd 30 times is hilarious. "Why are you bothering to smash all the crates? It's faster XP to just VIP and then EEENH newb" I like to smash crates for those 15% bonus xp's so I tend to get yelled at a lot by the super-poopsockers out there.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Wow, the new enhancement point system (or whatever the trees are called) is pretty sweet.

Bought level 7 veteran (had 4 from last time) with spare coin while it was on sale, but I haven't played in so long that I have no clue at all where to start. I think I've spent more time remaking veteran chars to try new build options in this game than playing it lol.

Trollocaust

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wow, the new enhancement point system (or whatever the trees are called) is pretty sweet.

Bought level 7 veteran (had 4 from last time) with spare coin while it was on sale, but I haven't played in so long that I have no clue at all where to start. I think I've spent more time remaking veteran chars to try new build options in this game than playing it lol.
You and me both. So many layers of complexity now that it boggles the mind, just coming back. Making any character now feels like im trying to recreate Pun-Pun(http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pun-Pun...acter_Build%29).

I've been sitting in the market browsing forums for a build I can use to solo. I'm currently a pale-master from back when I used to play. Don't want to play a wizard no more and browsing the forums.. Seems like every build now pretty much assumes you having a bazillion past lives and tomes. I've been trying to wrap my head around simply making a character for the hell of it but the min-maxer in me always goes fuck no!

Bleh :|

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
lol I remember Pun-Pun. Wasn't that the kobold who could throw a boulder so big he could destroy a planet?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I did some work on the 'recreate a Final Fantasy Lancer/Dragoon' thread, that was my only real contribution to the old character optimization forums.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's all fun and games until you see stuff like the Elf enhancement that lets you use dex for damage mod on a whole bunch of weapons. Then I'm like...well shit then I could make a dex elf rogue arcane archer and ignore str...

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
There's a similar talent wizards can get that lets INT be used for your hit and damage instead of strength. I think once I get to the point I can reincarnate with the perks, I'm going to see what I can do with that. Kensai mage ftw!

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd really like to play a Warlock if/when they release that class. Maybe in their next major update.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Let's just tome of battle this and be done with it. ToB is Ragnarok to 3.5.

lol I remember Pun-Pun. Wasn't that the kobold who could throw a boulder so big he could destroy a planet?
Well, Pun-Puncoulddo that, but he could do anything that D&D allows, so that boulder throwing isn't anything special for him. I mean, he could fart so hard he'd destroy a planet, or the universe, really. And he could have already done it and maintain a simulation of reality.

That boulder thing is the Hulking Hurler.http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/War_Hul...aracter_Build)

It can throw 50 ton (over 100k US units) projectiles, doing on average 2k damage per round. When munchkined, it can throw about improvised ammo weighing up to 2,8M US weight "units". That's about what a sequioa tree weighs. Yes, that centaur will have a hard time getting their projectiles inside places, but in the field, oh yeah. Also, if they can purchase a quarry, then they can just lob about 400m3, that's a stone cube with a 7,3m edge.

But that requires 20 levels to pull off.

Pun-Pun, of course, can throw arbitrary amounts more at lvl 5. In fact, they can have any ability ever written in a D&D 3rd edition book as a supernatural ability and ability scores that are, in fact, arbitrarily high, so can throw about planets if they want to.