DDO (D&D Online)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So after talking to a DDO streamer for a while, I can sum up the game state for people who are waffling about returning, or who have never played in the first place.

DDO is basically 2 separate games now. The heroic game (1-20) is nothing but people true ressing and shroud raids. Shroud is the only heroic raid that people still run because some of the green steel effects (mainly conc opp) are unique and thus still useful in the epic game, also because green steel is ridiculously overpowered for its level requirement and makes TRing easier.

Then there's the epic levels, where even without perfectly optimized gear the power creep results in you being super overpowered for the content, even the new epic raids. As a demonstration the streamer hopped on his paladin and jumped into a high level epic elite quest, and even solo he was just absolutely trashing the mobs. So effectively DDO has no end game content anymore. Apparently turbine has said they are planning on raising the level cap to 30 this year (currently 28) which means epic content will be even easier.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
They basically 180'd the game from being a "YOU MUST HAVE A PERFECTLY BALANCED GROUP!" to "Pick something with self heals and wafflestomp content."

Which honestly I think is a good idea because leveling/dungeons still go 30~40% faster if you have friends with you, plus you can always put someone on "box smashing duty" for an extra 15% xp per dungeon.

And I started on a different server because G was practically dead last few times I logged on. There were like 3 groups looking for more and the auction house was all but empty. Sarlona on the other hand seems pretty hopping (for DDO that is). I always see people in every zone and general chat is full of my favorite elitist prats vs. newbies vs. Redditors who won't shut up about the stupid fucking button.

Was he a ranger and can I start over OMG!!! Kidding, my uber wizard at lvl 2 already destroys, I could probably take claw down in 9 seconds flat? Ok who are we kidding I keep killing myself getting hit by a fucking frost mist after killing a spider....seriously fucking frost mist. I went from being one of the top dps in top 5-10 guilds in almost every MMO I've played to dying to god damn fucking static frost mist not once, not twice but 3 times. LAG I TELL YOU FUCKING LAG....
LOL was that in the first dungeon down the pipe on Korthos where you have to solve the puzzle to refreeze the giant? LOL I have died there even knowing the silly jets were there.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
So after talking to a DDO streamer for a while, I can sum up the game state for people who are waffling about returning, or who have never played in the first place.

DDO is basically 2 separate games now. The heroic game (1-20) is nothing but people true ressing and shroud raids. Shroud is the only heroic raid that people still run because some of the green steel effects (mainly conc opp) are unique and thus still useful in the epic game, also because green steel is ridiculously overpowered for its level requirement and makes TRing easier.

Then there's the epic levels, where even without perfectly optimized gear the power creep results in you being super overpowered for the content, even the new epic raids. As a demonstration the streamer hopped on his paladin and jumped into a high level epic elite quest, and even solo he was just absolutely trashing the mobs. So effectively DDO has no end game content anymore. Apparently turbine has said they are planning on raising the level cap to 30 this year (currently 28) which means epic content will be even easier.
Epic content was pretty easy last time I played, which was a little after the expansion with the 2 piece item sets came out (Claw being one of the quests). Mass hold and the Dreamspitter or epic SoS just obliterated everything. I logged in 2 years ago and the raid scene was dead. It makes me sad -- DDO was pretty fun, the TR farming got really tedious going through the 3rd+ TR xp totals.

I would mess around with it if I wasn't stuck on Sarlona.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Few noob questions

1) If you die in an instance, anyway to revive outside of having to use crystals? On that note if I lose my hireling anything I can do to rez him or get another during the instance or only when I restart

2) There is that lvl 4 long instance mist mountain or some shit where you go by a dragon. I think I was near the end and I accidently "triggered" like mass people attacking 25+ ??? Am I supposed to be a sneaking wizard or something? I held my own for a while but with only a few pots I ran out of SP and finally got overwhelmed trying to kite. Dumb barb hireling went down fast as fuck but my skele pet was a god damn stallion. I started on elite and was only lvl 3 so maybe I am supposed to be able to handle 25+ people or am I missing something?

3) Asked earlier but FAKKLJAAJKLFSKLGDSAHKL auto loot button will not work for me at all. I tried so many different keys etc and I just can not get it to autoloot. Any ideas?

Few noob questions

1) If you die in an instance, anyway to revive outside of having to use crystals? On that note if I lose my hireling anything I can do to rez him or get another during the instance or only when I restart

2) There is that lvl 4 long instance mist mountain or some shit where you go by a dragon. I think I was near the end and I accidently "triggered" like mass people attacking 25+ ??? Am I supposed to be a sneaking wizard or something? I held my own for a while but with only a few pots I ran out of SP and finally got overwhelmed trying to kite. Dumb barb hireling went down fast as fuck but my skele pet was a god damn stallion. I started on elite and was only lvl 3 so maybe I am supposed to be able to handle 25+ people or am I missing something?

3) Asked earlier but FAKKLJAAJKLFSKLGDSAHKL auto loot button will not work for me at all. I tried so many different keys etc and I just can not get it to autoloot. Any ideas?
At low levels, a Cleric Hireling won't have res so you need a Sib Cake unless you are close enough to ghost run to a shrine. To res a hireling just grab his blue crystal stone thing and go to the nearest res shrine. Use the res shrine and then when it is targetted click on the little gears in the NPC menu to tell your hireling to use the shrine. He'll res up.

I can't figure out where that dungeon is at level 4. Do you mean 4 bubbles? That is not level 4. You are almost to level 1 f you are at 4 bubbles and that sounds like the last dungeon on Korthos probably and you got mugged by the undead at the breaking glass crystal thingies. You probably can't do those elites as a non TR unless you go slowly. You are much better off exp wise, moving through dungeons at a solid pace at the lower setting than grabbing the elite version right off. Plus you can go back and do them at higher level for the favor if you want.

Once you have firewall, specced out, you'll rampage groups of normal mobs.

I've never managed to get autoloot to work.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Why did they have to make the best weapon from ToEE a bastard sword? Looks like I'll have to farm up a pair of scimitars for TRing purposes. Wish I could experience ToEE legit the first time through, but I dont think I have anyone in the level range.

Devs are catching a LOT of flak on the forums for how terrible the ToEE itemization is.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
At low levels, a Cleric Hireling
Don't use a Sib cake for ressing. Simply not worth it. Best bet is to have your skeleton pet pick up your crystal and warp your way to a rez shrine. He should have enough survivability to manage getting beat on while you make it.

The mountain quest can be a bit rough doing elite at level 3 but your barb and skeleton should be able to basically solo it. Just take it slow. Send them in to engage and stay back and use invis (get invis by the way) to lower your agro range while your two man army wrecks stuff for you. You should never really have to face more then 5 or 6 mobs at a time. Just always stay way back and send your pets in to get agro first. You can probably skip it for now and just come back when you're level 4 or 5.

My loot button works fine. You still have to be looking at the thing you want to loot to pick it up though. Not sure what else to say.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So with all the heroic stuff being worthless now, I could reroll on Sarlona and the only thing of worth I'd be losing would be some miscellaneous stuff like Torc of Raiyum, Quiver of Alacrity, and my min1/lit2 greensteels.

Tough choice.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Devs are catching a LOT of flak on the forums for how terrible the ToEE itemization is.
Considering they've been farming greensteal/thunderforged for the past forever now I'm not surprised. You also have to look at the type of people who end game. They're they ones with 23 hotbars because they're okay with carrying 2 bags of incredibly situationally useful stuff. They want weapons which are good for like one boss fight for 12 seconds. I mean the Shadovar Infiltrator build (which is the epic-capable version of the pale trapper) requires twisting weapon sets like they're bard songs in EQ. Fuck that noise. They're the ones who when the post builds factor in the ~16 or so 1 hour buffs you have to run around and get before every raid.

They have a point in that nothing is better then anything that is currently in game but their suggestions are just flat out horrible.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well from what I've read part of the problem is that it's way too easy to get thunderforged to tier 2. I'm not saying the ToEE stuff should be better than Thunderforged, I'm saying it didn't need to be yet another set of weapons combined with yet another tedious crafting system.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I just TR'd out of my 3rd life wizard and I'm trying to decide what to do next.

I'm thinking artificer but I'd also like to be a trapper. I've also though about a paladin. Can't decide!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think one of the most annoying things is the fact that I spent a whole lot of time working on 2 good dragontouched cloth armor pieces, and now they fucking suck because heavy armor isn't terrible anymore.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I just TR'd out of my 3rd life wizard and I'm trying to decide what to do next.

I'm thinking artificer but I'd also like to be a trapper. I've also though about a paladin. Can't decide!
Artificers are trappers. They are int based and they get native disable device just like rogues.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Hey guys, curious for those in DDO. What level range are you guys and will you be taking it to cap ? Also, what times are you playing. i am on galhanda, my TR wizzy is around level 12 and I would like to take her to 25 and see the Temple stuff.. but want to make sure we align before i pay 25 for a transfer. Likely this will be my last journey in DDO.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
My wizard's up to level 14 now (12wiz/2rog) and finally I'm starting to feel useful. Most fights I still don't cast anything except spell-like ability magic missile and chain missile, with some scorching ray's mixed in, since mana issues are a constant problem. When I decide to just dump my mana and lay the smack down though, the fireworks are impressive, able to clear entire rooms in a few seconds. The undead forms from pale master are incredible as well with the immunity to nearly all CC, death, poison, drains, etc. The weakness to light though is a pain since apparently every single priest mob in the game spams searing light, which is a no-save spell that deals ridiculous damage to undead, which is then doubled against an undead pale master, sigh.

Fought my first beholder last night also. That was a fun experience. Clearing through an elite dungeon no problem, then go into a room and a beholder anti-magic rays me, dispelling all my buffs and locking me out of my spells, and then starts unleashing multiple beams on me while I fail at trying to run and hide until anti-magic wears off, lol.

I tried the new elemental evil temple also, and even though I was too high level for it, I got destroyed from a swarm of rogues surrounding me in the first level, I hate trip... Plan to go back and try again soon.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah my level 20 got smoked on heroic elite ToEE even with a cleric hireling, went back and did it on normal just to get a feel for it.

Sucks that the weapons I want for TR purposes are mythic, which means im not gonna waste my time trying to farm for them.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Hey guys, curious for those in DDO.
Mostly just fucking around right now. Most of us are starting from scratch and I'm not much of a poopsocker anymore so it'll be awhile. So depends on how much 25 bucks is worth to you. I'd personally just reroll and enjoy grouping with whoever is on at the same time for as much content as you can.

My wizard's up to level 14 now (12wiz/2rog)
Drop the evocation enhancements, get web instead. Web SLA with wall of fire and, if necessary, acid rain is stupid cost efficient. You'll also be much more useful in groups since a webbed enemy takes crazy bonus damage from being helpless.