DDoS and You

Siliconemelons

Level 3 pretty much has an outage every month. We used to be on TW Telecom and they were rock solid until they got bought out by Level 3 and absorbed their network.

Our CIO is constantly threatening L3 with pushing our SLA and what they have actually given and demanding money. L3 is terrible and it's their management and maitiance of the network infastructure- they bought or became great infastructure- etc, but they just don't do anything with them except to rake in money.

jeffvader

it's only castles burning
And in a troubling development, the attack appears to have relied on hundreds of thousands of internet-connected devices like cameras, baby monitors and home routers that have been infected — without their owners’ knowledge — with software that allows hackers to command them to flood a target with overwhelming traffic.

http://nyti.ms/2ep3v2m

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah worthless iot devices came to light a month ago when some kids took down krebs for a while.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
And in a troubling development, the attack appears to have relied on hundreds of thousands of internet-connected devices like cameras, baby monitors and home routers that have been infected — without their owners’ knowledge — with software that allows hackers to command them to flood a target with overwhelming traffic.

http://nyti.ms/2ep3v2m

Jeff Bezos said yesterday the Amazon echo couldn't be hacked, unlike a phone. So we're good there lol.

spronk

FPS noob
It has begun. All hail F Society. Or China. Or a cross dresser, I dunno

EBD66LP.jpg

• 1Like

escrima

Blackwing Lair Raider
Dyn got DDoSed. Just the tip of the iceberg for mass botnet attacks on more high-profile internet resources compared to low-level targets like PSN or whatever Lizard or Poodle Corp script kiddies feel like going after.

Most if not all of the LS/PC membership has been arrested. The DDOS yesterday was an activation of the Mirai botnet.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!

Wonder if there is any proof to that or if it's just Wikileaks having a big head. Either way, hopefully there will be some good to come out of this and all those idiot IoT companies start taking security a little more seriously.

• 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Hopefully more people learn Linux isn't actually all that secure and is really more vulnerable that a lot of other OSes. I think the latest was that this was caused by a botnet created from vulnerability in the Linux OS used by some IoT devices.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
At the begining of the month the source code for a bot network that uses IOT devices got leaked.

IOT (internet of things) are the internet capable devices around your house, like thermostats, door locks, and other silly shit they are trying to connect to the internet now adays.

The botnet infects these devices and blast a target.

About 2 and a half weeks later, someone uses it in a big way targetting DYN. The botnet blasts that you can do with this thing are around 600gbps-1tbps. This is a fucking lot of bandwidth.

Flashpoint - Mirai Botnet Linked to Dyn DNS DDoS Attacks

mirai-hf-580x232.png

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
a folder with over 20 FUCKING GIGABYTES of useless shit that lags up your computer. its like trying to run with a 30 pound weight on your back. DELETE IT.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I remember when this was cool. I think I was a teenager.

• 1Like

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
Well I just want to step in and correct the record. This was definitely Putin and America must fight back against this clearly aggressive Russian attack. Thank you.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seems like we're getting another massive one. Not sure what all is getting hit right now, but it's pretty big.