Dead Cells

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
This shit looks awesome.

Should we have a thread just for sidescrollers/greenlight games/etc?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I've put just over 17 hours into this(according to Steam - I think it's a few hours less in reality) and really enjoy it. Rogue-likes and Metroidvanias are two of my favorite genres and this is a nice combination of the two. It can be a bit frustrating when you get a really good weapon setup and all powered up and then die, only to start over. The gameplay is super-tight and the weapons are really fun. It's a very solid game for being "early access".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Steam says 31 hours for me and they have all been enjoyable as fuck. The biggest frustration for me is the weapons you start with/get can be random and they don't always combo well with each other which makes the run difficult. Otherwise its a fun as fuck game.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Any other games like this I can look into? I have Hyper Light Drifter but I like the side scroller/Castlevania like games better.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Ori and the Blind Forest is a good, challenging Metroidvania. Rogue Legacy is also pretty fun and has the rogue-like features similar to Dead Cells.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Metroidvanias on Steam I played in the past year and liked: Axiom Verge, Shadow Complex, Ghost 1.0, Hollow Knight.

Hollow Knight by far my favorite, probably my GOTY but the year isn't over yet. Axiom Verge is widely regarded as an excellent Metroidvania, with emphasis on the Metroid. Shadow Complex is actually an older game from consoles that was ported, I'd never played it but it was fun, if a bit simple and janky. Ghost 1.0 isn't catchy looking to me but it's really well done gameplay wise and has some decent writing.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I really liked Axiom Verge as well. I played a bit of Hollow Knight. I need to give it another shot, I guess.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
They are very different games. Axiom Verge is the closest thing out there to Metroid that isn't Metroid, in style, world design, and to an extent gameplay. Hollow Knight gets compared to Dark Souls because some parts are brutal and the overall aesthetic is grim, I thought the gameplay was very very excellent but the sword-based Metroid style isn't for everyone.

I'm hoping that Bloodstained brings more of a Castlevania: SOTN thing to Steam (I mean, if any game does it would make sense for this one to) because I'd love a new take on SOTN.

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
+1 for Hollow Knight, and they're releasing a free DLC in July that is going to add a few more bosses and add a new teleport mechanic that should make getting around less of a chore hopefully.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
They are very different games. Axiom Verge is the closest thing out there to Metroid that isn't Metroid, in style, world design, and to an extent gameplay. Hollow Knight gets compared to Dark Souls because some parts are brutal and the overall aesthetic is grim, I thought the gameplay was very very excellent but the sword-based Metroid style isn't for everyone.

I'm hoping that Bloodstained brings more of a Castlevania: SOTN thing to Steam (I mean, if any game does it would make sense for this one to) because I'd love a new take on SOTN.
Yeah, I Kickstarted Bloodstained. Really looking forward to it.

Have you played Salt & Sanctuary? I love the Dark Souls games, but S&S has been beyond brutal for me. I really suck at it.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, I Kickstarted Bloodstained. Really looking forward to it.

Have you played Salt & Sanctuary? I love the Dark Souls games, but S&S has been beyond brutal for me. I really suck at it.
I Kickstarted it as well. Was weird to see it during an E3 conference actually as I thought it was still a ways out :p There's another backer game I signed on for, Indivisible, that may fall into the Metroidvania category based on the proof-of-concept demo but I think it'll end up more like a Kirbyvania, which is still OK.

I haven't tried S&S, it's been on my wishlist but the difficulty everyone rates it makes me hesitate. I like a challenge sometimes, but hate tedium, so it might be too far on that spectrum

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I play this about an hour or so every other day, here and there. Pretty enjoyable and the last patch added some new cool things. It did however create some strange graphic hitch that I can't quite figure out. But it almost makes the game unplayable b/c dodging just ends up in death. Lost 40+ cells a few times because of it.

Worth the pick up though so far.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
This came up in my Steam queue
Read description of game
Went to half mast
Scrolled down to reviews
First review: Polygon gives 9/10
Boner killed

But seriously, it looks cool. It's on my watch list.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hollow knight is 34% off on steam during summer sale.
salt and Sanctuary is 40 off%

Shantae a general platformer, megaman or metroidvania to you? (havent played them all myself. Pirates curse has a bit more in common with Megaman, then metroidvanias, but its in the wheelhouse. theres a level select instead of a single map. you do revisit levels when you gained new powers, to reach new areas.)
halfgenie hero is 33% off.
pirates curse is 40%
Risky's revenge is 50%

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Went ahead and got this at the end of the Steam sale, it's looking good so far. The beginning is pretty rough, with getting used to the fighting mechanics and being underpowered (I assume). But it does feel like you make some progress with each run.

I think this one is going to be good.

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I had to completely remap the controls to make it playable, but I dig it. All about flawless runs and steady progression in skills/understanding.