Deadpool (2016)

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
FYI, an article was written 5 years ago on this very subject, and comics were vastly under priced even at 1.95.

in the 90s you could go in with 10 bucks, and get 5 issues. Today you get one...

No one can afford comics right now, and in the 90s no one had a problem buying them. 1.25 on terrible paper, and horrible color reproduction. you were not getting a bargain... And just an FYI Marvel raised their prices from 1 dollar to 1.50 long before Image was even created. long before the success of Xmen 1 and Xforce 1

rrr_img_126153.jpg
239232014-800x800a.jpg

If you really think Comics were expensive during that time period you weren't there.

Do you even know what Indy is? Image was just a bunch of creative owned companies pulled together under a common umbrella for advertising, and distribution.

The head of Image at the time was Valentino, one of the biggest indy supporters on the planet. He brought everyone from Colleen Doran to Alan Moore to them.

They wanted nothing to do with the big 2. Their mission statement was to create their own books, and own their characters instead of making them for other companies who retained all rights.

That is the independent spirit completely.

You just have no education on a subject you are trying to argue. You've literally been proven wrong in every fact you post.

That's stupid imo.
What was the price of New Mutants issue 99? What was the price of X force issue 2? What was the standard price for Marvel and DC comics at that time?

Ill give you a hint it was $1.00.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Just... Do us a favor, Column... Don't tell that Liefield was an overall benefit to the comic industry and then post those two book covers. Anything he's added is immediately nullified by his complete lack of understanding of the human anatomy.

Column_sl

shitlord
Just... Do us a favor, Column... Don't tell that Liefield was an overall benefit to the comic industry and then post those two book covers. Anything he's added is immediately nullified by his complete lack of understanding of the human anatomy.
Yet he sold more comics then almost anyone. He's the reason this thread even exists, that Deadpool exists. That tells me people didn't care...

It's like arguing Lichtenstein stole his art from comic artists..The average person doesn't give a shit.

And he wasn't an "overall" benefit to the comic industry. He did have the foresight to push computer coloring forward tho because their was a need for it.

Sorry im done responding to him.
Since everything you've said has been wrong anyway, I think it's a good thing you finally are silenced.

Caliane

But Deadpool would exist without him. just in a slightly different form.
Like every other character. How many variations of Batman are there out there? Would Batman not exist without Frank Millar?

I know you love him. Many fans do. your entire argument is, "he is popular, so is great for comics, and saved the industry, no matter how many lawsuits he left his in wake."
In June 1996, Marc Silvestri temporarily left Image with his Top Cow imprint over issues with Liefeld, with Image Comics executive director Larry Marder saying Liefeld "was making an increasing number of business decisions that were counterproductive to being a business partner".[18] In early September, Liefeld issued a press release stating he was resigning his position at Image and leaving the group. Nearly simultaneously, the Image partners issued a press release stating that they had fired Liefeld.[19] His resignation came only minutes before the second meeting that would have forced him out.[18] Liefeld moved all his publishing ventures into a new company, Awesome Comics. This new enterprise, announced in April 1997 as a partnership between Liefeld and Malibu Comics founding partner Scott Mitchell Rosenberg, concentrated its efforts on newer properties.
I have personally seen him threaten libel, and a lawsuit, when a colorist stated that Rob owed him money still to this day, on a message board.. People kindof hate him for shit like this. he has the millions to write contracts that favor him, to sue people that can't afford to actually bring him to court.

I highly highly doubt, I would ever work with Rob. But if I hit a point I'm desperate for work.. Dunno. As long as I have other options though, yeah, no. I would turn him down.

Column_sl

shitlord
I know you love him. Many fans do. your entire argument is, "he is popular, so is great for comics, and saved the industry, no matter how many lawsuits he left his in wake."
I never said any of those things other then he was popular in the 90's, he created Deadpool/Cable, and he financially pushed Computer Coloring forward by hiring Malibu for Image specifically for Olioptics. Which are all facts look at his track record during that time..

Just an FYI my favorite comic artist is Jason Pearson who is also a questionable human being, but I don't want date him I just want to read his comics.

And the story behind that article is much worse. Rob was pilfering talent from the other Image companies, and funding projects from the Image combined resource account, both of these he admitted.

He's admitted a lot of wrong doing during that time. He hired his family to run his company , and it was horribly mismanaged. How could it not be? They weren't starting some small start up project when he left Marvel, he started a company that made millions, and didn't have the experience to run it.

He owes everyone money I bet..

But Deadpool would exist without him. just in a slightly different form.
Like every other character. How many variations of Batman are there out there? Would Batman not exist without Frank Millar?
That's silly. Deadpool is just spiderman as a ninja. Spawn is just Spiderman with a Dr strange cape.

Everything is just a rip off of the 3 archetypes in comics.

Batman existed before Frank, Deadpool did not exist before Rob. End of story

People kindof hate him for shit like this. he has the millions to write contracts that favor him, to sue people that can't afford to actually bring him to court.

I highly highly doubt, I would ever work with Rob. But if I hit a point I'm desperate for work.. Dunno. As long as I have other options though, yeah, no. I would turn him down.
People hate Rob because he's popular to hate. Before people even knew about the stuff Rob was doing financially he was highly criticized.

Also Rob doesn't have millions anymore, you are talking about 90's stuff that is largely gone today. Guy made a ton of bad investments.

Does Rob even do comics anymore? Why are you even worried about working for him lol.

Eonan

Doer of Things
I think it's disingenuous to claim that Deadpool and Cable would exist without Liefield, they were his brain children. The guy has his faults, he may be a complete prick, and lord knows he isn't the greatest of artists, but we're only arguing about this shit today becausehecreated Deadpool. To try to take that credit away from him seems petty.

Column_sl

shitlord
The only thing I can see on those covers is everything that's wrong with Liefield's art style.
And I wouldn't disagree, but during that time period he was a king of Marvel comics. Hindsight is 20/20, we are a way more sophisticated audience now.

He was basically a pop culture explosion. The ultimate fanboy that made it.

Liefeld comes out today ,and no one gives a shit. Right place, and right time.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If comics are too expensive now, why doesn't the US comic industry copy the release style of the manga industry?

Column_sl

shitlord
If comics are too expensive now, why doesn't the US comic industry copy the release style of the manga industry?
Comics are a mess. They're trying to go digital right now, but it's still really expensive not to mention the pirating.

There's no clear answer on how to fix them, and the movie industry really hasn't helped it. In a way it's a dying art form which is a shame.

In Japan, it's a different society. The wages they make wouldn't cut it over here.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Because magazines and comics in the U.S. get a weird market-cheating system in tandem with their merchants for some reason. You know those dozens of copies of hundreds of different magazines Barnes & Nobles gets every month? The vast majority of those never sell, and get shipped back to the magazine company. But the magazines get to sell ad space based on numbers shipped and write off the unsold because reasons, so they're propped up by advertising revenue, which is also why a full-color magazine with glossy photo prints is magically $5 sometimes, because ads. If the advertising system or revenue changed significantly, the industry would implode very very fast and need to change drastically.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
while the whole comic industry thing is interesting. it is interesting ( i am pretty sure i have youngbloods #1-10, spawn #1-20ish in my basement(in mylar envelope) -and a few hundred other comics- including dungeons and dragons, forgotten realms and spelljammers among others- used to have a few thousand but got rid of them(stole most of them when i was ~12-15-i had a few friends who were bad influences but i outgrew them as they screwed up worse and worse (got into drugs and shit like that) and i didn't)

Can we get back to the movie discussion- it is "opening" tomorrow night.

Malkav

French Madman
while the whole comic industry thing is interesting. it is interesting ( i am pretty sure i have youngbloods #1-10, spawn #1-20ish in my basement(in mylar envelope) -and a few hundred other comics- including dungeons and dragons, forgotten realms and spelljammers among others- used to have a few thousand but got rid of them(stole most of them when i was ~12-15-i had a few friends who were bad influences but i outgrew them as they screwed up worse and worse (got into drugs and shit like that) and i didn't)

Can we get back to the movie discussion- it is "opening" tomorrow night.
Dude, way too many parenthesis in parenthesis there, I got lost halfway in your sentence.

Aside from that, the movie is awesome.

Oh, and please stay until the end of the credits.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
That's how Lenardo always posts. They are almost impossible to read.

Malkav

French Madman
That's how Lenardo always posts. They are almost impossible to read.
Yeah I know, except when he posts Castle fanfiction but eh.

Anyway, I'll probably go see the movie a second time this weekend, it was awesome.

Maul

Dental Dammer
Last few pages has summed up why comic book readers are the ultimate faggots.

Movie was awesome Btw.