Deadpool (2016)

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
It has only been out 7 weeks, too. It still has legs to do well in the whatever they call the second tier theaters that show last season's stuff. Hopefully it takes down the #1 R rated movie domestically. I think that was the easter Jesus snuff film one.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
20 million to go to be the #1 r rated american film, it's possible, lots of new movies coming up in the next 2 months, however, 2nd tier theatres might put it over the top , just needs 10 weeks at 2 mill a week (it did almost 5 million this past week) if the next 3 weeks nets ~9 million million(total) i think it will make it eventually.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I know for my part, I'm going (again) with a crew of ~6 here soon. A couple who haven't seen it, and 3-4 who are going for the 2nd or 3rd time.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Plot was kind of boring. Fun movie though. Main chick is super hot.

So is he like one of the X-Men? Where were the rest of them?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure Itlan is trolling in a Karl Pilkington way. Lots of posts recently in threads where he comes in not knowing what the thread is about or what the media is about and asks obviously dumb questions while making silly observations. He deserves positive tuconots.

I've seen it twice, and both times were great. I'm not sure how much the second tier theaters will help, because it's such a "see it while it's hot" type movie for people that are interested in it. But it will probably get that 20m.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Amazon sent me a message today.

XOTc4PI.png

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
After watching this a second time, I realized that I couple watch an entire TV series based on the relationship between Deadpool and his old, blind black lady roomate.

spronk

FPS noob
target exclusive, may 10th release
Deadpool (Blu-ray/DVD + Digital) Exclusive Pack... : Target

fGqQxDv.jpg

extras:

**Deleted/Extended Scenes with Optional Audio Commentary by Director Tim Miller
**Gag Reel
**From Comics to Screen...to Screen
**Gallery (Concept Art, Costumes, Storyboards, Pre-vis, Stunt-vis)
**Deadpool's Fun Sack
**Audio Commentary by Ryan Reynolds and Screenwriters Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick
**Audio Commentary by Director Tim Miller and Deadpool Co-Creator/Comics Artist Rob Liefeld

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Well it was a good run but it looks like this film will finish about 9.5mil short of Passion of the Christ, and end up being the #2 Rated R Domestic Box office. It surpassed Matrix Reloaded for the #1 Rated R world wide a while back.

Interesting side note, although Batman V Superman beat this film's opening weekend by 30mil, it has tracked significantly worse than deadpool did and this weekend it's finally dipped below deadpool's run for the same time period. ie 24-day totals:
Deadpool:$311,484,061 / 24
BvS:$311,311,730 / 24

Unless there's some change i'd expect BvS to end up around 340-350mil domestic by the end of it's run.

It really goes to show the power of word of mouth vs marketing dollars. While fox did, at the last minute, throw about 50mil worth of marketing (the bulk of which TV spots and a Superbowl ad) towards Deadpool, the bulk of their advertising was Ryan Reynolds' Twitter account and youtube channel, followed by glowing word of mouth. While on the other hand WB dropped 150mil on marketing for a film that was critically panned out the gates and a mixed reception from fans.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Wish digital had the bonus features, unless Amazon and others just haven't put that one up yet
frown.png

2 commentary tracks, probably be the first physical Blu-Ray we've bought in years.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
lololol

Reynolds mentioned wanting to shoot something specifically for the DVD/BR and there was concern about money since home video has a different budget than theatrical. I'm guessing that spot was it and i'm guessing the dumptrucks of money in profits drove fox to greenlight him doing whatever he wants to promote this thing.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
it's great now, but it sets up a dangerous precedent for either giving actors too much say or not paying them when they should. i know ryan reynolds did a lot of those spots for free. they just sat in a studio when everyone was gone and filmed deadpool advertising. almost as a joke, but almost as a "hey guys, don't worry about advertisement, we got. just air these."

that works with the right team. that works when it's a loveletter like deadpool is. it doesn't work when it's not an organic process.

spronk

FPS noob
blu ray holds up, watched it last weekend at home and its just as great on the second watch. Already have it pre ordered from amazon and will watch again with the commentary track

and morena baccarin is so goddamn hot

jt8ab5S.jpg

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
it's great now, but it sets up a dangerous precedent for either giving actors too much say or not paying them when they should. i know ryan reynolds did a lot of those spots for free. they just sat in a studio when everyone was gone and filmed deadpool advertising. almost as a joke, but almost as a "hey guys, don't worry about advertisement, we got. just air these."

that works with the right team. that works when it's a loveletter like deadpool is. it doesn't work when it's not an organic process.
Well the next time a studio sits on a franchise for 11 years while a writing team and star beg them incessantly for a green light only to finally be thrown a bone and then wash their hands of the project and let them go out and succeed or fail on their own, then we can start talking about setting precedence.

The only movies I can think of that even remotely relate are Mad Max Fury Road (a Masterpiece) that george miller fought to make for eternity, and Ant Man that was originally a 10 year passion piece by Edgar Wright, who eventually left the franchise due to pressure to incorporate it into the MCU (he had started Ant Man before there was even an MCU to tie it in to)

You know what the new director changed, to meet Marvel's demands? The falcon scene, and yellow jacket (a marvel character) as the bad guy. The rest was all Wright's original story, including the final battlethomas the train scene in the little girls bedroom. Paul Rudd along with Adam McKay added their brand of humor to the script as well as the original dialogue was more serious tone, heist film.

So we're basically 2 for 3 as far as setting precedence in allowing passion projects to go forward. If Wright had caved to Marvel's requests then we'd be pretty much at 3 out of 3. If Disney had caved and let Wright make Ant Man his way, we'd have a non-funny, serious Ant Man heist film with no MCU tie in.