Deadpool (2016)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
It's going to be fascinating how much this makes with Zoolander being a complete bomb. With President's Day and Star Wars dying down it could really put up huge #'s. I thought 60m was going to be a home run, but now I wouldn't be surprised if it hits 100+ depending especially on how strict theaters are at letting teens see it. Some PG or G movie will greatly benefit from Deadpool this weekend in false sales, but not as bad as South Park suffered pre-digital tickets.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was all over the internet, television, cable television, super bowl, they had interviews on HBO, it's all over billboards, public transit, radio, satellite radio, they bought out entire blocks of time on TV that last hours where every commercial was a Deadpool commercial....they even had an airplane dragging a banner here it here in Minneapolis yesterday.

They advertised on every single level they could, what are you talking about? The only movie in recent memory I can think of that advertised harder than this was Star Wars.
Just....no.

Xevy

Log Wizard
He's half right. I think you have to go maybe 3 pages back to see they had custom Deadpool commercials tailored to custom audience during select programs (Workaholics, Golden Girls, etc). If you watched Comedy Central/TBS/Cartoon Network, you saw a Deadpool commercial almost every other break. They had a shit ton of commercials.

That said I don't agree that the only movie to advertise harder was Star Wars. I think we just paid more attention because we were all nerd-hard over the movie.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Betty white did a commercial/commentary for deadpool. Heard it on the radio(bleeped out)(Ryan worked a movie with her several years ago umm the romcom he did with bullock)

Eonan

Doer of Things
this movie follows it nearly verbatim, with a handful of additions/subtractions:
They added Negasonic Teenage Warhead and removed one of the bad guys (wire), they changed the other henchman to a woman. omg feminism. not really, this added more jokes and didn't harm anything
They added the Fox Xmen tie in stuff, ie he visits Xavier's school, we see the blackbird, etc. This was probably at the direction of Fox leaving it open to bring deadpool over to the xmen cinematic universe (not sure how that would happen). Again added some laughs and the commentary about comic book movies there was priceless.
Not as much Blind Al interactions as the script. In the script he initially forgets his ammo bag (when he's limited to 18 bullets on the opening highway fight scene) which leads to a cutaway of blind Al tripping over it while making ikea furniture. They took that bit out because later they reused the same bit
They cut/changed the final battle scene a great deal. This was probably due to budget constraints. Had no idea they only had a 58 million dollar budget. The final fight in the script is almost a shot for shot parody of "The Matrix" shoot out scene in the office building, where deadpool goes through like 900 different guns, including triple barrel 9mm handguns, fully auto AA-12 shotgun with frag explosive shells, and a Kriss .45 submachine gun. basically all the guns he had in the bag, another bag full of ammo. He kills a truly astonishing number of people. just a gratuitous amount of killing playing on the tropes of endless supplies of bad guy henchmen in these kind of films. Instead they used the above "where'd I leave my bag" gag for the taxi scene and ended up with just sword fight against a much smaller number of henchman. The basics of the final fight scene are the same though, his girl in the chamber on the roof of a building, or in this case on the roof of an air craft carrier being salvaged? idk.
I thought it was a Shield Helicarrier which was one of the reasons I got a kick out of "Hydra Bob" being at that location as a bodyguard for what looked like Hydra trying to repair one of the busted Helicarriers. Then I remembered that this is Fox and that Fox may not have the rights to anything to do with Shield/Hydra which made me sad.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
It's going to be fascinating how much this makes with Zoolander being a complete bomb.
I was thinking about this earlier. Zoolander should *should* have done extremely well releasing this weekend, but I think Deadpool releasing the same weekend is going to hurt it big time.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
There seems to be many people amongst various forums that dont understand the ferris bueller reference/scene at the end - how the hell do they not know about ferris bueller? WTF im not that old

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I thought it was a Shield Helicarrier which was one of the reasons I got a kick out of "Hydra Bob" being at that location as a bodyguard for what looked like Hydra trying to repair one of the busted Helicarriers. Then I remembered that this is Fox and that Fox may not have the rights to anything to do with Shield/Hydra which made me sad.
Yeah they had to walk a fine line with the various properties belonging to different studios. Reminds me of another gag from the script they had to cut
During the "creating the superhero suit" montage, in the script he goes into a halloween costume store and grabs a spiderman mask, flips it inside out, revealing the signature red with black eye holes, and wears it as the deadpool mask

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
He's half right. I think you have to go maybe 3 pages back to see they had custom Deadpool commercials tailored to custom audience during select programs (Workaholics, Golden Girls, etc). If you watched Comedy Central/TBS/Cartoon Network, you saw a Deadpool commercial almost every other break. They had a shit ton of commercials.

That said I don't agree that the only movie to advertise harder was Star Wars. I think we just paid more attention because we were all nerd-hard over the movie.
The custom commercials don't really cost anything though. Reynolds is shooting all of that for free. Basically just paying editors and the commercial time, which was all on lesser watched channels, not basic cable.

Xevy

Log Wizard
The custom commercials don't really cost anything though. Reynolds is shooting all of that for free. Basically just paying editors and the commercial time, which was all on lesser watched channels, not basic cable.
You understand how advertising works, no? They pay the show and/or the TV channel the money to show their commercial.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I think it was the opie interview where Reynolds said there was still like 17 other commercials that haven't been shown yet. So on one hand, they clearly made a large point to create a ton of stuff for marketing, and yet not a large enough point to use everything they made

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Jesus christ that was awesome.
At the end there when he met Bob, holy shit I was cracking up, knew they were going to sneak bob in somehow.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
That review video was spot on. And I can't believe I actually sat through and watched all of it. I've never done that before. Thanks, Deadpool!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Saw it with friends and my wife. See already wants to see it again. Very possibly the first Fox Marvel movie to actually, in my opinion, really deliver on the source material. One complaint from my wife though....

Not any real use of the multiple voices in his head

PS - Remember ladies, less than a month until International Women's Day!

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Deadpool forecast to top $100 mil on opening holiday weekend

Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool is on fire at the Friday box office, where it's on course to gross $40 million-plus for the day and surely $100 million or more over the four-day Valentine's Day/Presidents Day weekend.

Deadpool is proving an even bigger victory than expected for Reynolds and Fox. Tracking had suggested the irreverent superhero movie - one of the rare Marvel comic book movies to be rated R - would open to $65 million or $70 million over the four-day holiday weekend. Throughout Friday, projections kept being revised upwards as grosses came pouring in.

Fox is remaining conservative, putting the movie's three-day weekend in the vicinity of Guardians of the Galaxy ($94.3 million) and Captain America: The Winter Soldier ($95 million). Rival studios, however, are projecting that Deadpool will cross $100 million for the three-days alone, becoming only the 11th comic book movie to achieve that feat. And it's likely to score the top three-day R-rated opening of all time.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That review video was spot on. And I can't believe I actually sat through and watched all of it. I've never done that before. Thanks, Deadpool!
Yea, and I agreed with the main host about really the only negative:

You really dont leave the theater knowing anything about this organization that the villains are a part of, other than being the stereotypical bad guys doing bad things. Idk if its because they cant tie anything to the Marvel side, or what, but thats really the only bad thing. It could have tied into some larger sinister plot and it might have set itself up better for another movie, but thats minor. Hopefully with a sequel we should get more of that with Cable in tow.