Deadwood

iannis

Musty Nester
I refuse to watch the last episode of deadwood. It's too fucking sad.

God DAMN that hearst. COCKSUCKER.

It's a special kind of story. It really is masterful. not even "for a western". It's masterful writing, production, and acting.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The movie's entire purpose was to finish the series. It was an homage to the fans. In that sense I thought it was great. Kind of like firefly/serenity. I think it was HBO finally acknowledging they fucked up by canceling the series way to early.

Power's Boothe passed before the movie was filmed.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Ya, Boothe passing away prevented them from really resolving anything with him. I do wonder how the movie would have been different if Cy was still alive. Probably Joannie Stubs in some trouble, Calamity comes back and something something Cy ends up dead.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The movie's entire purpose was to finish the series. It was an homage to the fans. In that sense I thought it was great. Kind of like firefly/serenity. I think it was HBO finally acknowledging they fucked up by canceling the series way to early.

Power's Boothe passed before the movie was filmed.

This show and Rome being cancelled are the two greatest fucking tragedies of entertainment, ever. As the years go by, Rome, The Wire and Deadwood have pretty much become top three favorite shows of all time. Would have loved to see Rome and Deadwood also get 5 seasons. Its almost painful watching them now and seeing the absolute fucking lightning in a bottle they captured and subsequently lost.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I think Rome could have gone for as long as they wanted to do it. There's more than plenty for them to work with.

Deadwood did have a shelf life. It should have gotten another season, but they were winding down into The West rather than The Wild West. I mean with that cast, it still could have worked just fine and been entirely worth watching. But it was reaching a natural and satisfying conclusion. Not a HAPPY ONE, but a satisfying one. The final season they kind of ran out of shit to do with Jane and it was getting a little labored for her character.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I think Rome could have gone for as long as they wanted to do it. There's more than plenty for them to work with.

Deadwood did have a shelf life. It should have gotten another season, but they were winding down into The West rather than The Wild West. I mean with that cast, it still could have worked just fine and been entirely worth watching. But it was reaching a natural and satisfying conclusion. Not a HAPPY ONE, but a satisfying one. The final season they kind of ran out of shit to do with Jane and it was getting a little labored for her character.
1960962948-giphy.gif

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I thought Rome got cancelled because of how expensive it had become to make

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was that combined with a fire that destroyed most of the sets IIRC.
The Cinecitta fire happened months after second season aired and about a year after the cancellation decision was made. Also those big productions have mandatory hazard insurance and they weren't owners of any set, so that fire didn't cost them money at all.

Rome got cancelled because at the time its production was too costly (lots of actors, overseas locations, etc) and its ratings, though quite decent, weren't great. Also, producers felt once you've told the stories of Julius Caesar, Mark Antony, Cleopatra, "famous" history figures, ratings would dwell with less than famous characters. It was purely a producer decision.

• 1Like

Cybsled

It was a co BBC and HBO production as well and I think the BBC side ended up wanting to end it more?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
When I saw this thread, the first thing I thought of was this interview and everyone should watch this, even if the parts where he talks about working with David Milch and Ian McShane. His different era Pacino's are great as well.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Did any of you ever see Ian McShane in Kings? That was a 2009 series that was loosely a David & Goliath story. It was pretty good as well. He's really perfect in that role.

• 2Solidarity