Deadwood

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If HBO had ended Game of Thrones with that kind of passion and understanding of what the fans wanted, season 8 would have been legendary.

I forgot just how much I enjoyed the dialogue in Deadwood. This was a wonderful return and great send off to a series that put all the pieces of the puzzle together with perfection. Its a shame that it is over but it went out with style and grace.
The thing with Deadwood dialogue is you have to really pay attention and listen to it. It's kinda like Shakespearean American-English. Especially with characters like Hearst and Charlie. Can anyone remember a line from GOT 8?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
The dialogue is thick and layered, like interesting music. I cheated and turned on subtitles for some of the quiet moments.

Makes me want to rewatch it all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Really enjoyed it, left me wanting more. I missed Dillahunt so will look for it in my next viewing. Really good to see the cast together again minus a few key folks. Still my favorite HBO series.

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That was very fun. Definitely a lot of fan service in there but the characters didn't miss a beat and the characters were always what Deadwood was all about. That and the amazing dialog which was also present. When Jane asked Charlie about Joanie and he said "I reckon she's been collecting her portion of misery just like the rest of us" or something like that it really made me happy.

• 2Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
can i watch w/o having watched the series? or do the series first?

Do the series first. You would have no fucking idea what's going on if you just watched the movie I'm pretty sure of that. They threw in a few flashbacks to remind people what happened but I don't think it would be enough for someone to get it without watching the show. Either way, the series should not be missed.

• 2Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
can i watch w/o having watched the series? or do the series first?

definitely series first, but you could maybe do just season 2-3 then the movie but the character development in season 1 is pretty awesome.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Also, don't watch around sensitive people or kids you dont want saying cocksucker every 5th word.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Fuck you Harry. Fuck you Hurst.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
This was good. Good to see Bullock dropping cocksuckers.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So do I need to rewatch the show before this? It's been well over a decade since I watched it and I literally remember nothing except Al saying "cocksucker."

Cybsled

It can help, although you'll probably find yourself remembering more than you think you forgot. Like when Alma shows up with grown up Sophia, I had forgotten about Alma adopting her, but then I pretty much recalled all the assorted stuff afterwards.

The show has some flashbacks to the series as well to give some context. Which helps, because some people aged to the point I didn't recognize them. I didn't even recognize Sal when he first showed up.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I don't think this would be all that great to watch without knowing the characters going in. The movie is not about plot at all, and has no payoff for anyone not interested in those characters.

• 1Like

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Typed this up yesterday but never hit reply and it has been sitting here. But basically what Dom said, zero reason to skip the initial seasons. Skipping ahead isnt getting you to the good part because it is great as a whole.

Also for anyone watching for the first time or with others for their first, this isnt a show that provides constant action and splosions. It is not a show meant for people that cant handle a heavily dialogue driven plot.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Right; you faggots who consume all your media on a 2nd screen while playing games should skip this.

• 2Worf

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This is how you end a fucking series, you star wars making san fransisco cocksuckers. I forgot what excellence with an American accent sounds like. "What, we don't have a whole season? I can do it in a two hour movie." #watchthis #micdrop

You really have to have seen the series but its just masterful on every level, at least for me. Ties up every arc, gives every character that I remember a worth ysend off, Dillahunt's appearance is awesome, every actor gets moments to shine, so. much. amazing. dialogue, you understand the reasoning going on in every decision they make in the characters point of view. It was just a fantastic sense of closure for the Deadwood story. Definitely going to do a rewatch now. I can't get over how much the time between has just makes everyone better in their roles. So good!

Last edited:

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
So do I need to rewatch the show before this? It's been well over a decade since I watched it and I literally remember nothing except Al saying "cocksucker."
I watched it "live" as the seasons aired and several things that I had forgotten (how did she get rich, who is that girl, etc) either came back to me or were referenced in a flashback. A rewatch wouldn't hurt, though, as others indicated but so much of that detail is left out, it's only the major plot points that are referenced.