Deadwood

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
True story. I was having a friendly debate with a colleague (who is also a good friend) and I lost the argument (it was about some office policy, trivial), and I slipped into Wu's accent and sliced my hand across my neck and said "cocksucker!" We both laughed since he is also0 a Deadwood fan.

Well, it turns out some snowflake overheard our convo and reported me to HR for *both* using a "potentially hurtful word" AND doing so using an Asian accent.

I tried to explain things but I knew there was no way I was going to win this, not at my workplace, so I agreed to apologize to the snowflake, who never watches TV and is what gives PC culture the bad name it so often deserved.

Cocksucker.

Why are people so damn angry?
You should arrange for this co-worker to accidentally fall into misfortune. Seriously, fuck that guy.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
fuuuuck ...... watching season 2 and just got to when William gets hit with the horse.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I binge-rewatched all three seasons and then the movie again. While I stated above that you don't need to rewatch and that holds true, its even that much better having all the events fresh in my mind. Overall, the show is just so fucking good and such a great palate cleanser after the last season and finale of GoT. Shame the manner in which it ended and proof about how hard it is make great art in the modern world (it really can be lightning in a bottle) but this show is one of the all time classics.

• 1Solidarity

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Watching this I got incredibly sad, and I’m not sure why. Maybe part of it was the nostalgia, part of it the passage of time... what a wonderful end to a masterpiece in television.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Watching this I got incredibly sad, and I’m not sure why. Maybe part of it was the nostalgia, part of it the passage of time... what a wonderful end to a masterpiece in television.
I just finished the movie after spending the past three weeks re-watching the whole series. The last twenty minutes or so of the movie had me choking up.

My wife didn’t like that the movie didn’t have much plot to speak of, but I told her they consolidated an entire seasons worth of story into an hour and a half and gave all of us fans a chance to have a proper send off for all the characters we grew to love.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Thinking back on it, I wish I had rewatched the series before watching the movie. It was missing a lot of impact because I was going by 3-4 year old memories of the characters.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My wife didn’t like that the movie didn’t have much plot to speak of,

You should remind her that the show didn't have much of a plot either. It's always been a character driven show.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Think I might rewatch the series soon. I just cancelled cable, including HBO, but all the seasons are on Prime. I'll eventually get around to resubbing HBO after the new season of Silicon Valley airs and watch the movie then.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Deadwood movie. Chernobyl mini series. And the fuckers give us the garbage that was the final season of GOT. Cocksuckers!

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As fanservice goes, this was very good. We got awesome dialogues, cast and production (minus the CGI train). But most of all, we got closure. It also reminded us Deadwood was so far ahead of its time 15 years ago during the HBO golden age. Character driven story, top notch writing, stellar actors and no compromises about socials or politics.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

The last half of this interview really goes into why this was such a fantastic show.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Semi off topic...if you haven't seen Sam Jones do interviews, you are missing out. (He does an excellent job with every person)

Kiki

Log Wizard
As fanservice goes, this was very good. We got awesome dialogues, cast and production (minus the CGI train). But most of all, we got closure. It also reminded us Deadwood was so far ahead of its time 15 years ago during the HBO golden age. Character driven story, top notch writing, stellar actors and no compromises about socials or politics.

But were there tits?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I reslammed the series before watching this. It was a good fan service, the only thing that irked me was the final suspenseful moment of: (spoiler i guess?)

Hearst all trying to stop the wedding and arrest Trixie with 2 out-of-jurisdiction officers and getting shut down so easily by Bullock? It just seemed like an amateur move that Hearst's character should have known would fail terribly, based on how not-an-idiot they seemed to have him in Season 3. Like did he not know Bullock was a Warden that would pull rank? Ehhh

Other than that I enjoyed it - really showed me with some people at least that god damn, 10 years is a long fucking time...them bitches got old.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Just finished up Season 3 and watched the movie. Goddamn, what a shame this show got cancelled. Shit was a goddamn masterpiece and the dialogue was some of the best of anything I've ever watched. Glad they ended up making some closure on the plot lines.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I reslammed the series before watching this. It was a good fan service, the only thing that irked me was the final suspenseful moment of: (spoiler i guess?)

Hearst all trying to stop the wedding and arrest Trixie with 2 out-of-jurisdiction officers and getting shut down so easily by Bullock? It just seemed like an amateur move that Hearst's character should have known would fail terribly, based on how not-an-idiot they seemed to have him in Season 3. Like did he not know Bullock was a Warden that would pull rank? Ehhh

Other than that I enjoyed it - really showed me with some people at least that god damn, 10 years is a long fucking time...them bitches got old.

I think part of the movie was the fact that the old west was dying. Times marched forward. The robber baron didn’t wield the power he thought he did, or he used to.

al was the old west. And his arc with illness and weaknesswhile trying to maintain a grip was prevalent.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Watched the series for the first time over the course of the last few weeks, and just now finished the movie. The series was great, but the movie felt sorta empty to me...like it just hit the plot points needed for closure without actually having any of the awesome Deadwood dialogue that I loved in the series. There were still a LOT of dangling plot threads, which I know is going to happen with just two hours to give, but still then -- why devote so much screen time to the new whore????

Most notably, what ever happened to Cy? Missed it if they ever said.

Went into the whole thing because I hate series that don't have endings, so I wasn't tempted til after the movie got good reviews. I'm still glad I watched, since the series was pretty great, but color me disappointed by the series.