Deadwood

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Bout damn time. This has been my favorite HBO setting even over GOT.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
April 2019 air date.

Makes you wonder how they're going to handle it. They can't exactly jump into the Deadwood fire right after Hearst with everyone on cast looking 15+ years older, will it be a stand-alone superepisode kind of deal?

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
That's fine.

0w5UAMX.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hosix

All labs matter!
Please be good. Please have that Dan guy wreck some fools with a piece of firewood again.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
I watched The Sopranos from beginning to end a few years ago and found it to be very lackluster and barely enjoyable. Maybe I’m not the target audience, or maybe it isn’t as timeless as The Wire and Deadwood? Whatever the case may be, I have no desire to watch it again or anything related to it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Pharazon2

Molten Core Raider
This and Rome. I know there is no hope for Rome since the sets burned down, but god damn did they have a show there. Now they are scrambling to replace game of thrones, and they already had a BETTER game of thrones they cancelled. So frustrating. But I'd kill to see Rome done out with the same actors/writers as they had originally planned. (S2 was supposed to end with the death of Brutus. S3 was Antony's death. Then it was going to be the tension between Agrippa and Octavian, as well as the rise of Christ in Jerusalem and the rebellion there.)

Honestly to this day Rome and Deadwood are my two favorite shows ever. Rome is one of the few shows I will watch every year without fail, and I always seem to find something else in it. Deadwood I'll watch most years, and sometimes the Sopranos. It's amazing those shows have held up so well in the golden age of TV, but talk about lightning in a bottle with Rome and Deadwood.

Rome is my all time favorite show too. Thirteenth!

Deadwood though.. this will be interesting. HBO shows have been lacking in the use of "cocksucker" lately, the return of Swidgen will help with that.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
The same reason all shows are better that way. Slow builds. You have a lot more time to think about things happening. You don't just mindlessly gloss over a full season. It's painful at times, but it's also good.

Keep in mind that this was HBO's first real attempt at an R-Rated character driven TV Show. This type of thing had never been done before. Yes, they missed the mark at times, but the overall story was an excellent one.

Except the whole Meadow trying to park her fucking truck. Ugh, that was bad. But it was still a lot of suspense. We all KNEW something would happen. Instead, cable companies everywhere got calls that their service stopped working.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I watched The Sopranos from beginning to end a few years ago and found it to be very lackluster and barely enjoyable. Maybe I’m not the target audience, or maybe it isn’t as timeless as The Wire and Deadwood? Whatever the case may be, I have no desire to watch it again or anything related to it.

People who've gone back and watched it again seem to lose their appetite for it. I've seen this exact criticism recently on another forum, re: episodes-long filler.

But I'm still of the opinion that Sopranos has more beginning-to-end rewatch value than Boardwalk Empire. I'm not willing to binge either of them to find out, though.

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
People who've gone back and watched it again seem to lose their appetite for it. I've seen this exact criticism recently on another forum, re: episodes-long filler.

But I'm still of the opinion that Sopranos has more beginning-to-end rewatch value than Boardwalk Empire. I'm not willing to binge either of them to find out, though.
Boardwalk Empire is a good comparison because I watched all of those episodes during their weekly releases. I'd say the first two seasons were good and worth rewatching, but after the events in the season 2 finale, the show got a lot less interesting and more contrived and riddled with weak dialogue. I don't recall the first two seasons of Sopranos, but I could see myself feeling the same about them as I do about Boardwalk if I had watched the episodes as they released.

• 1Like

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
According to just about every metric I should love Sopranos. I've been a Gandolfini fan since True Romance, I love the genre, Rome and Deadwood are two of my favorite shows of all time...

Yet I still couldn't get into the Sopranos and I can't figure out why. It wasn't bad, it just didn't compel me to keep watching. I'm not afraid of slow burn shows either (Better Call Saul is great).

I definitely don't think waiting a week between episodes would make me like it more... That just seems silly.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Watching it then would have helped because there was little like it on TV. Your reference point would have been different.

Citizen Kane was revolutionary for its time but I doubt most people watching it for the first time now would think it more than good at best.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Sopranos is one of those shows where the absolute best episodes propped up all the other shit you didn't care about/forgot. I know that the entire family subplot with Carmela and the kids was 'important' to the story, but the majority of it was godawful. Who actually gave a shit about Meadow or his son's descent into pre-millenial faggotry. Ironically one of the best episodes was the one where he ditched Meadow at college orientation to go do gangster shit. Deadwood didn't really have the same problem, where there's characters you grow to hate so much that you are yelling at the screen for the scene to end and move onto more interesting stuff (though Jane definitely hit that cusp.)

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Sopranos was a one time watch for me. I've tried to go back and watch it. Doesn't hold up with age. Now Deadwood? I can't even count how many times I've watched it and will willingly watch it some more.