Defiance (Syfy April 2013) TV Series and MMO

satael

Silver Squire
I kinda enjoy the show. It's not great but there aren't too many moments where I felt like the characters did something totally stupid for no reason at all (so far) and I'm a sucker for sci-fi. My prediction is that the weak point of the show will turn out to be the main plot (especially if the old mayor is the main villain).

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
And I'm done. Was getting serious SGU flashbacks with episodes being played out with emo music.

Why is good writing so uncommon anyway

Cybsled

And I'm done. Was getting serious SGU flashbacks with episodes being played out with emo music.

Why is good writing so uncommon anyway
Lol, I was having trouble remembering what Syfy show had the emo music montage at the end of every episode. Thanks for refreshing my memory ;p

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
This episode was written by Rockne S Obannon and Michael Taylor... both of which are capable of doing AMAZING quality work... what the fuck??

Sean_sl

shitlord
Well, I know I said people were maybe expecting too much of this, but this is just getting dull. It's not even really campy in a good way either.

They need to give this show to HBO and let them turn it into Deadwood 2033 with alien titties and all the extremely liberal use of cussing that came with it.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Only seen the pilot so far. They had me hooked when they opened up with some johnny cash karaoke.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Another shitastic episode.

The best part was the hooker wearing duct tape. I gave you all the highlights right there. No need to watch it.

Cybsled

I sort of lol'd at the fact that one of the prostitutes was raised by nuns ;P

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I swear this show is following the same formula as "Falling Skies". 1st season of that show was slow and super drama based with little alien/military based stuff after the first two episodes. Then they hired new writers for the second season and the show got a little better. Actually looking forward to the 3rd season of Falling Skies just because this show is 90210 with aliens.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The bar must be pretty low for renewal this early. I'm not feeling this show (beyond the hooker titties obviously) much at all. I'm only watching it because I hope it gets better, but if it were canceled tomorrow I'd probably just be relieved.

Cybsled

Syfy will usually give shows at least 2 seasons, with the exception of total shit like Painkiller Jane.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Syfy will usually give shows at least 2 seasons, with the exception of total shit like Painkiller Jane.
Hmm, are you sure that one didn't get a second season too? I actually watched that show, because Kristanna Lokan is hot.

Nope, checked IMDB and you were right, only one season.

To be honest, I'd rather watch another season of that over Defiance.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
They seem to be focusing each of these initial episodes on a character and building them up individually. Could be nice if all this eventually pays off down the road, otherwise it is wasted time.

The big revelation from last weeks episode:

As I suspected when they made a big deal about the 5000 year trip the Votans took and featuring a native american family as a big chunk of the main cast: The Votans have been here for a few thousand years already and were at least involved with the native americans.

Either the destruction of their star system did not go as predicted and they developed significantly faster ships a few hundred years later that easily passed the Ark Fleet, or the Gulanee (beings of energy that they are) simply were able to move at the speed of light and get here faster. I'm guessing that native american vision mysticism is a by product of Irathient and Human inbreeding thousands of years ago. I will give them serious ball-points if the gulanee = burning bush and other human light-bearing gods. Again there has to be a reason we have yet to see a Gulanee on the show.

Also of note is that people knew all this back in the 19th century (judging from the stuff MacCauly finds in the mine near the cave paintings) so things are not quite as they seem...

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The last episode was the best so far. Nothing super though, but at least they did nothing at all with the Romeo and Juliet angle save for a brief mention at the end. Next episode also appears to not have much on that angle and so will be worth watching. I was upset though with how they chose not to take out the ambassador. Show needs to grow a bigger set of balls and kill the people that would kill you. Even if they did not directly kill her, they could have chosen to just leave her out there.