Defiance

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
How much does the game cost?

Defiance 2050 will launch as a tailored free to play experience with exciting new systems to explore. To expand your experience, we will also be offering a variety of optional purchasable items that are not tied to power.

Uh huh. Now we get to see how many ways they can twist the phrase “not tied to power.” Or maybe they’ll just disregard it entirely. Ahh the paradox of microtransactions.

If the game’s primary source of revenue is microtransactions, the devs would be fools not have significant and meaningful microtransactions. If the game has significant and meaningful microtransactions, the players will feel forced to participate and purchase them.

There is no “F” in F2P. Just because you don’t know how much you’ll end up paying doesn’t mean it’s free.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Honestly if its like the original defiance there is a lot of monetization options that are not game play impacting. They had a lot of funky post apocalyptic vehicles and customization and purchase of new versions of those and appearance looks could and probably should be extensive.

Cybsled

Even though I loved the show, I never played the game. I tried out the original recently and it is decent...like was pointed out earlier, fills that sci-fi shooter MMO itch (love bolt action sniper one-shots lol). Character models are god awful, though lol.

In looking at 2050, it basically just looks to be the same game as the original in terms of the content. The biggest change it seems is they are locking you into actual classes vs. the "make your own class" thing in the original. It also sounds like certain weapons might be class locked as well. I wouldn't be surprised if stuff like the nade launches or rocket launchers were demolitionist class only, for instance. Not sure how I feel about that. Depending on how they implement this, you could find yourself in the classic MMO trap of a certain class being needed, but few people play it. They have one called Guardian, which I am guessing is a tank. But that will be tricky...if you make tanks all but required, then everyone else will be limited in what they can do w/o one. But if you make stuff doable w/o a tank, then it reduces the need for a tank class in general unless they bring something REALLY good to the table.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looks like the graphics are better as well and the net code seemed improved. In my messing around in beta I was not hitting the massive rubber banding issues when traveling in vehicles at speed than I did in the original launch when I played it.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
SciFi version of Division with vehicles and big group monsters, and larger focus on PVE. But just like Division, being able to hack it ruins the game. See through walls, shoot through walls, all that shit makes any semblance of pvp intolerable.

The games core is fun. Though in its original state burned out incredibly quickly. Going through each of the tunnels for the first time was very enjoyable, and the bosses challenging. Once someone got a scatter grenade launcher...much less so.

The show was interesting. But try hard, and derivative. But what isn't these days.

The game, just like Division, once hackers wreck the game, it is no longer fun. Both Defiance and Division would have held me and my buddy's attention a lot longer if the game wasn't so easily broken.

Here's hoping, I guess.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I never saw this coming but we've entered the timeline of MMO remasters. How long before Garriot descends from his throne to deliver the UO HD remaster upon us?

• 1Like

Cybsled

Shadowbane came kinda close for that first month, then everyone quit when their towns got sacked lol

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
UO is some nostalgia that will never be recreated.

Have you seen the "3D (wrapper)" version of UO?... lol. The servers are surprisingly still live, and it's no where near the same game. Never was since the Second Age and "safe realm" from open pvp.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have you seen the "3D (wrapper)" version of UO?... lol. The servers are surprisingly still live, and it's no where near the same game. Never was since the Second Age and "safe realm" from open pvp.

I quit for EQ in 99, which I think was before all the T2A shit? I checked the game out in the mid 2000s I think and barely recognized it.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Shadowbane came kinda close for that first month, then everyone quit when their towns got sacked lol

Most of what killed shadowbane was the sb.exe nonsense pretty much followed by people followed the logic of the game to it's conclusion which is if you need a guild to shop and the bigger guilds have more stuff eventually you get basically one guild that "wins" a server and then just smashes everybody else until they quit the game. Their whole play to crush motto missed the downside of it isn't fun to be crushed with no way of coming back from it other than joining the crushers or quitting.

This is why a lot of the design decisions of crowfall are based around what they hit in shadowbane. To do something like that there has to be a start/middle/end of the play map to cycle through so it can't stay in its end game boring state for years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I played Shadowbane at launch and did not last too long, but came back a few years after launch with my brother, I think when the expansion hit or just after? Anyway, once it was all fixed up (sb.exe) and we were all sporting way more powerful compurters than we were when it launched, it was pretty fucking fun. It wasnt just about the sieges, although that was part of it, it was, at the time, the western vs china rivalry. Plus SB had the best class/skill systems, easy leveling, so that meant you were always building up something new to play and try. Camping exp and of course those runes or whatever for the class builds was always fun because everyone knew when they spawned and there was always a fight. Plus the siegfes themselves never really meant complete destruction like it was at beginning. There was a sort of comraderie among players, unspoken rules and shit that never meant your shit was going to be totally destroyed. Maybe some walls, few buildings. Plus they added resource nodes too later that were fun. Mines or some shit, that yo had to protect too. All in all we spent like 6 months playing it and it was fun as hell.

Last edited:

Cybsled

Game is shutting down for good at the end of April. Not really surprising, the game was on life support even when Trion was at the helm and there was no indication of actual content additions outside the half baked 2050 “relaunch”

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, shame. One of the last games I had a lot of fun playing with buddies. The dungeon crawls were fun, boss fights neat, but it got really repetitive and no new content ever got released. Same issue Division has after you've done the main shit 20 times. Why do I want to farm shit to do the same dungeons or the world monsters slightly faster?...

Cybsled

It was a looter shooter before looter shooters were a bigger genre. I loved the lore of the TV show and game. Setting had lots to mine. Mechanics were ok, but like you pointed out, these game types can be pretty repetitive after a while. I suppose any mmo can be like that unless you kid things up.

It really just got hurt by a mediocre engine and crappy graphics, lack of ongoing support/updates later on, and the TV show getting canceled.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
The TV show started out really interesting but by the time they introduced the Vampire race things had started to go downhill. I think they had some cool notions that just got lost along the way.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Not surprised this is end of lifeing but I got my monies worth out of it and enjoyed playing it back in its heyday.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I played this when it first released for a while. I remember it was kinda lacking in content. But I think it was one of, if not the first of its kind,? Sort of a mmo looter shooter which probably inspired others to make more like it.