Defiance

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
It said I have played this for around 40 hours on Steam.

Worth the money to me. If you can get it for $10-20, it is not as bad as Ut and others are stating. It does not feel like a MMO though. If you want a single player game, and do not own Borderlands 2, I agree with everyone recommending Borderlands 2 over this game. However, if you already have B2, and you are looking for a game where you can run around and do quests and events in a similar style to Guild Wars 2, only in a Borderlands type way, then this game is just fine. It is fun to do ark events. And it runs fairly flawlessly. Rarely do you get lag even with dozens upon dozens of people around. Explosions everywhere.

There are far better overall games out there, but I do think that the statements that this game is not worth $20 or less is a wee bit exaggerated. Youtube the game, look at a combat video for around 2-3 minutes, that is the game. Lots and lots of that. If it seems enjoyable to you, there is more than enough content in the game to where you pay less than $.50 per hour before completing the main missions even if you grind them out, not doing much optional / ark stuff (which is the fun stuff in this game).

My suggestion, since there is little need to chat with people. Get a controller. Lean back in the couch, and just casually run around and blow things up. Unlike many PC action games, this game is not "tight" (not sure how to explain it) enough to where it feels that you are gimped using a controller compared to keyboard/Mouse. Borderlands 2 for instance is horribad with a controller compared to Keyb/mouse.

EDIT: Guess I should also for full disclosure say that I have 210 hours in Borderlands 2. FAR more value in that game compared to Defiance, but still, I do not agree with the whole avoid at all cost statements that has been featuring in this thread for the last pages.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I'm honestly surprised that they didn't just tell those season pass buyers to suck an egg and close down shop. Good on Trion though.

Cybsled

I imagine that the game will need to run as long as the show. Syfy has a guaranteed 2 year pickup on the show, which means 2014 could be the last year of the show if they chose not to renew it. I can't see the game surviving for long without the associated television show.

Well if you think about it, with all the assets they already have, it should be pretty easy to cobble up "new content" that has just a few new assets in it.
I agree, and I like a lot of stuff in Vanguard, it could have been so much more, but we all know what happened.
Also I am not hating on the Dev team of vanguard, it was more of a swipe at Defiance everything about defiance is sub par on the pc version, let alone the game.
Trion had somewhere in the 150-200 million range between the marketing for the tv show and this.
So for that amount of money there was no excuse from the design up it was a mess.
Had vanguard had the money as well as another 6-9 months with full dev team, you would be looking at much different game today.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
I imagine that the game will need to run as long as the show. Syfy has a guaranteed 2 year pickup on the show, which means 2014 could be the last year of the show if they chose not to renew it. I can't see the game surviving for long without the associated television show.
Given SyFy's track record with cancelling shows that people actually want to watch, I'm pretty sure this will be the last season for Defiance.

How the game fares after that is anyone's guess.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Given SyFy's track record with cancelling shows that people actually want to watch, I'm pretty sure this will be the last season for Defiance.

How the game fares after that is anyone's guess.
The show is pretty good and as of now it has been renewed for a second season. Nothing is set in stone obviously but I don't see why they would drop it.

Still haven't played the game.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
The show is pretty good and as of now it has been renewed for a second season. Nothing is set in stone obviously but I don't see why they would drop it.

Still haven't played the game.
It's less about the show being good/bad and more about SyFy's history of cancelling shows good/bad.

The renewal was picked up before the first season ended, but I think that was only so it could give the game a chance to pick up. If SyFy had not renewed the show, how many people do you think would be buying the game after that? So they let it go one more season but honestly, it's doing 'ok' in ratings overall but nothing gangbusters and SyFy has cancelled far better shows for less which is why I don't have any confidence in it.

It's less about the show being good/bad and more about SyFy's history of cancelling shows good/bad.

The renewal was picked up before the first season ended, but I think that was only so it could give the game a chance to pick up. If SyFy had not renewed the show, how many people do you think would be buying the game after that? So they let it go one more season but honestly, it's doing 'ok' in ratings overall but nothing gangbusters and SyFy has cancelled far better shows for less which is why I don't have any confidence in it.
Before even the show or game had come out.I had some links with crazy money costs of the game as well as the show, that Trion was paying with syfy so I am pretty sure they both are going to take a blood bath on it.

Stave

Potato del Grande
It's on Origin today for $5. I finally went ahead and bit. It's actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It is suprisingly polished from what I've seen the first hour I've played. Apparently there is pvp and vehicles and 4 wheelers and raids against big monsters. I love competitive shooters, and some PvP in a solid shooter engine with some gear/skills could be fun.

Should be cool enough to mess around in for no sub. It reminds me of Spec Ops the Line kindof. I have played worse single player games that have sold more and been rated better. This game takes a lot of flak I think because it is an MMO. I am playing it from the mindset of a single player shooter with some fun massive coop events and shit, so for $5 I think I'll get my moneys worth and probably a bit more.

Also, this is coming from a guy who quit BL1 on 2nd act, and is too bored to tears to try to even get past Act 1 on BL2. Even playing coop with the wife. Got to sanctuary and haven't played since. Shit makes my brain bleed.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
It's on Origin today for $5. I finally went ahead and bit. It's actually not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. It is suprisingly polished from what I've seen the first hour I've played. Apparently there is pvp and vehicles and 4 wheelers and raids against big monsters. I love competitive shooters, and some PvP in a solid shooter engine with some gear/skills could be fun.

Should be cool enough to mess around in for no sub. It reminds me of Spec Ops the Line kindof. I have played worse single player games that have sold more and been rated better. This game takes a lot of flak I think because it is an MMO. I am playing it from the mindset of a single player shooter with some fun massive coop events and shit, so for $5 I think I'll get my moneys worth and probably a bit more.

Also, this is coming from a guy who quit BL1 on 2nd act, and is too bored to tears to try to even get past Act 1 on BL2. Even playing coop with the wife. Got to sanctuary and haven't played since. Shit makes my brain bleed.
Holy fuck so im not the only person who thought this.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
It's on Origin today for $5.

This game takes a lot of flak I think because it is an MMO. I am playing it from the mindset of a single player shooter with some fun massive coop events and shit, so for $5 I think I'll get my moneys worth and probably a bit more.

I'm not going to defend/comment on BL, but there isa reasonthis game is $5, down from $60 four months ago, and it's not a mass conspiracy either.

But yeah like you said, $5 isn't bad at all. That's less than what some indie games cost. BAD indie games and this wasn't made by an indie company so that should tell you something about it later on.

As long as you don't play the cash shop and suckerboxes looking for weapons, you'll be fine. Even if you think "Well, I only spent $5, I'll drop a deuce in there", well you know how those things work if you've played GW2.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I'm not going to defend/comment on BL, but there isa reasonthis game is $5, down from $60 four months ago, and it's not a mass conspiracy either.

But yeah like you said, $5 isn't bad at all. That's less than what some indie games cost. BAD indie games and this wasn't made by an indie company so that should tell you something about it later on.

As long as you don't play the cash shop and suckerboxes looking for weapons, you'll be fine. Even if you think "Well, I only spent $5, I'll drop a deuce in there", well you know how those things work if you've played GW2.
Oh I believe it, and I'm sure it's got its gaping flaws down the road and yes there is a reason it is $5.00. It is one drop away from a F2P which I'm sure it will be soon enough, but I will probably only play it an hour or 2 a week, it will probably last me a year lol. I've spent more on android apps that were total garbage. Like I said I don't intend to play it as an MMO. Just more of messing around with some lunch money.

Defiance will flip the F2P switch this summer | Massively

Defiance will flip the F2P switch this summer
Trion Worlds has just announced that the PC version of its transmedia-synergistic wonder Defiance will go free-to-play on June 4th of this year, with the PlayStation 3 version to follow around July 15th and the Xbox 360 edition expected to switch over at an unannounced date. The game had been running a free unlimited trial since last December.

The studio says that new players will have access to the Bay Area storyline, the original endgame content, and future missions for free. Gamers who pick up a new copy of the game earn 1,000 Arkforge (currency), four character slots, five loadouts, up 70 75 Ark Keycodes, and a minimum of 70 inventory slots, as well as a month of "Paradise Patron" status come the F2P conversion. Existing players, fear not; Trion says that "these bonuses are also granted to all existing Defiance box or digital copy owners." Paradise Patron status grants character boosts (to skill, XP, scrip, salvage, and reputation gain rates), store discounts, and grab bags that include lock boxes and more boosts.

Trion also hinted that we'll see new crossover storylines "in the coming weeks":
The world of Defiance is rocked when the hope of Tranquility, the first Earthling-Votan hybrid on record, lies dying in Eren's emergency facility. As players track down the half-human and half-Irathient crossbreed's medical history, they'll quickly discover other forces are working to cover them up for a dark purpose.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I thought this was Ok for the $20 I paid for it. I spent about 30-40 hours in it going through all the content. If they add more content and make those events more varied, this is not a bad game at all. Also they need to add more varied and fun guns to the game, make it PvE focussed, fuck the PvP and add boderlands type guns to it.

The PvP was terribad though.