Depression

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How much are you taking ? Im taking 150mg extended release for 2 weeks and not noticed anything...
Psychiatric meds are definitely something that work differently for different people - wife took SEVEN YEARS of trying psychiatric meds before any worked in a positive fashion. And although she's an outlier in taking that long to find one that works - it's not unheard of to need to try quite a few before one works. SSRI's seem to have the best success rates with being universal from how the psychs seem to imply, but even they aren't 100% for everyone.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Ran out of my meds and didn't have enough money for my refill for a week and was too stubborn to ask my parents for help this one time. What a goddamn mistake, because this week has been miserable. Crazy how fast shit goes downhill.

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider
The Brintellix drug rep comes in my office every couple of weeks and tries to show me graphs about how the incidence of nausea with Brintellix is similar to that if other SSRI's. I haven't used it yet (most of my patients don't have health insurance and pay out of pocket or the clinic pays for their medication) but I have read that nausea is the most common complaint of people taking it

Vaclav

Ran out of my meds and didn't have enough money for my refill for a week and was too stubborn to ask my parents for help this one time. What a goddamn mistake, because this week has been miserable. Crazy how fast shit goes downhill.
Withdrawal off of some (maybe even many) is no joke. If there's an absolute to budget for that's it.

Vaclav

The Brintellix drug rep comes in my office every couple of weeks and tries to show me graphs about how the incidence of nausea with Brintellix is similar to that if other SSRI's. I haven't used it yet (most of my patients don't have health insurance and pay out of pocket or the clinic pays for their medication) but I have read that nausea is the most common complaint of people taking it
Even to that extreme? That sounds nuts - his story seriously sounds like my bowel obstruction I had.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Psychiatric meds are definitely something that work differently for different people - wife took SEVEN YEARS of trying psychiatric meds before any worked in a positive fashion. And although she's an outlier in taking that long to find one that works - it's not unheard of to need to try quite a few before one works. SSRI's seem to have the best success rates with being universal from how the psychs seem to imply, but even they aren't 100% for everyone.
Wow, thats some perseverance. After my 3rd (4th) failed med, I said fuck it and either I get my head squared away or, well...I don't. I'm impressed at that length of time and final success.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
It's almost certainly the Brintellix for me. I lowered it back down to 5mg and all symptoms subsided.

Vaclav

Wow, thats some perseverance. After my 3rd (4th) failed med, I said fuck it and either I get my head squared away or, well...I don't. I'm impressed at that length of time and final success.
Well considering it's part of why she's gotten disability since she was 20 and she's terrified of losing that trifling amount of money (my trust came in about a year after she finally found Lexapro to work) - it wasn't much of a voluntary choice on her part, pretty sure she'd have lost disability in a hurry without getting supporting documentation that she was at least trying to manage it every few years.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Yeah. I can't do that. They want people with degrees and I'm working on mine. I'm also tied to a car payment and going through school.

iannis

Musty Nester
He's just trying to give you the ebola.

For a similar experience you could get a CNA cert and go work in a nursing home for a few months. You don't even have to leave town! But you'll see things you can't ever unsee, man.

Troll_sl

shitlord
I spent too much time in a nursing home visiting relatives when I was growing up. I don't actually want to get so depressed I kill myself.

Vaclav

I'm so fucking disgusting...
No matter how bad you feel about yourself - and it's an easy trap to fall into - most people out there are truly good people that will appreciate and support you. (Although I will say, some regions are better than others - if by some lark you moved out here near Cape Canaveral that attitude would get changed quickly I'm sure if you let me prod you into a few Meetup groups and the like - VERY friendly area...)

lindz

#DDs
What has really helped me over the past few months (besides finding a medication that worked) was to get really invested in a hobby. I know this is a lot easier than it sounds and I brushed it off for years, but it has really made a difference in my life. I have gotten really involved in training my puppy. Started beginner classes in the summer when she was 10 weeks old and have progressed really quickly with her. I'm now there three days a week and am assisting my trainer with the lower level classes as well. It has made me feel so good to have something I care about, that I am good at and even more - to have positive feedback from other people as well.

It can be hard to find something and even harder to find the motivation to not only go, but stick with it - but it really has done wonders for me.

Don't try to do everything at once either. Don't tell yourself you need to get your social life together at the same time you are trying to get back in shape and trying to establish a hobby. It is way too much. Do one thing that makes you feel better and add more as you can.