Depression

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Cancer, death. Those are acceptable things to think about and react to. But what if your daughter is on about unreasonable nonsense that she knows everyone would always find unacceptable?
She knows her reasons are stupid and she tells us the reasons: I wish my hair was longer, that one girl Becky called me a slut that one time, I want to be in love but I am not, and just random teen girl drama.

My thing is she knows she is just being depressed for absolutely reason and readily admits it but then is utterly incapable of snapping out of it at all.

She was switched to Welbutrin, we will see how that works instead of Prozac.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Any solution, whether it's mental discipline or medicine, is going to be a lifelong thing, so it requires willpower and a true desire to change to be effective in the long run. Also, your daughter may just be a teenager. Hormones during that last big growth spurt are wild and unstable. If she is still crying about Becky being a bitch at 25, there may be more to it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I am not saying she permanently fix herself with positive thinking. Or anyone else.

I just can't fathom how someone can look you in the eye and tell you exactly why their depressed and tell you they know it's a stupid reason or they know that it's not actually a real issue but then do nothing at all to even try and get past it.

You can beg them to do something and make 100 suggestions and they just shit on you instead of at least trying to pull themselves out of their funk. I know depression is real and I take it seriously but I have zero patience for pity parties when you know what the problem is and don't even try to fix it.

Troll_sl

shitlord
That's the fucking thing about depression (and often the anxiety that accompanies it).

I want so much to do so many things that I know will make me better. But at the moment I'm just not at a place where Icando them. There's a very real mental block. It's the same as if I'd gone temporarily blind. I would like to see, but can't until the problems that are wrong with me get fixed.

She needs your empathy,notyour sympathy. And that means bucking the fuck up andtryingto understand how it might feel to be--at least temporarily--powerless against something that you can't control. And then realize it's not going to be a short road to recovery, and not one you can just dismiss with medication.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Still pretty home sick, I've actually been mulling it over on if I want to try and move back...I just don't think I could take the distance I would be from my kids.

Oh Northern Michigan, how I miss you. (also wanted to post a pic that would brighten up all the gloom a bit. Picture is the north eastern coast of Lake Michigan)

rrr_img_106763.jpg

Troll_sl

shitlord
So both my therapist and my psychiatrist got together and they've come to the conclusion that my medication isn't doing shit.

So I get to try something new.

At this point, I'd take the artificial high of Effexor over feeling like shit all the time, as I am now.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When I asked earlier why some people I know can pinpoint exact things under their control that is contributing to their depression and I wonder why they aren't doing anything about it.

This is what I was talking about.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
When I asked earlier why some people I know can pinpoint exact things under their control that is contributing to their depression and I wonder why they aren't doing anything about it.

This is what I was talking about.
Because there's a disconnect between intellectual understanding of a solution and the will to undertake it? I know with 100% certainty that losing weight would have a significant positive effect on my mood and my ability to cope with things, but I make no effort towards losing that weight.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Because there's a disconnect between intellectual understanding of a solution and the will to undertake it? I know with 100% certainty that losing weight would have a significant positive effect on my mood and my ability to cope with things, but I make no effort towards losing that weight.
There is a disconnect I agree. There is also a disconnect for those of us that are doers hearing about it. Doesn't mean we aren't empathetic. When we see a problem we do something about it so when someone says "I should stop drinking but I won't" then we just can't look at them and think that we want to waste time trying to help.

iannis

Musty Nester
That's the problem with legit depression. Not despair, which a lot of people will use interchangably with depression. I personally hear that a lot. But despair is a different thing, despair can be FOUGHT. Depression is like HIV for the mind -- it undermines the very structures that would be responsible for any attempt to purge the infection.

It's bleak. It is so bleak that you cannot, literally, even imagine something less bleak. You can be analytical still, and say "such and such is probably the root of this", and then go 5 years exactly the same way. Because the mechanisms that regulate the healthy function of your mind (and perhaps brain, those two things not being entirely congruent)-- they're depressed. Which is why you can be depressed and despairing at the same time, sure.

The real magic is that some forms of depression have a tangible, physical root in the brain.

Maybe they all do, but so long as a major side effect of anti-depression meds is suicide I'm not willing to consider it a big win for the good guys yet.

Troll_sl

shitlord
So I don't drink daily. I don't even drink every week. And I don't even drink to excess. I think the most I've ever had in one sitting is 4 pints, over about as many hours.

My real point was that it makes me feel more like shit whenever I do drink.

And my therapist knows and says she isn't too worried. She'd prefer I stopped, too, but also thinks there are bigger issues to focus on.

iannis

Musty Nester
Drinking is kind of like that. If you drink to forget all you'll be able to do is remember. If you drink to have fun you won't be able to remember shit.

The cause of, and solution to, all the worlds problems.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Depression is way too vague of a term. I used to think I was depressed, but anyone that's gotten a whiff of what I've had to deal with in the past 6 years, or hears about my miserable childhood, says they would have long since killed themselves by now. So the fact that I haven't actually means I'm likely above the curve on mental coping ability.

So buck up. You might not be depressed; your life might just suck that badly.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Depression is way too vague of a term. I used to think I was depressed, but anyone that's gotten a whiff of what I've had to deal with in the past 6 years, or hears about my miserable childhood, says they would have long since killed themselves by now. So the fact that I haven't actually means I'm likely above the curve on mental coping ability.

So buck up. You might not be depressed; your life might just suck that badly.
What happened to you avatar? Lost a bet?