Depression

chthonic-anemos

bitchute.com/video/EvyOjOORbg5l/
I've changed my medication (aka drugs) I've even let myself get excited about exercise and shit for a while.... but right back to where I've been.
I don't know what awaits me... I'm going to look for a second opinion... but I feel like I am at the end as far as myself.
Has your testosterone been looked at?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Would you say you eat too much sugary foods? If so, stop, immediately. I learned a cpl years ago (or so) that one of the most depressing things for my general mood is sugar. Soda, candy bars especially. It was a feedback loop for me, eat candy, feel like shit, eat more candy to not feel like shit, feel like shit for longer, repeat. It wasn't until my mood completely tanked severely for no reason other than I ate a candy bar one afternoon and I finally made the connection. I rarely drink soda anymore and if I eat any candy it's like half a bar once every couple days or so.

Very rarely do I eat sugary foods. I'm a type 1 diabetic and have been for 45 years. I go through a shitload of medical testing that they still have no idea, my A1C still says very low as usual. Down in the normal range for non diabetics. Always less than 6 and as low as 4.5.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I thought there was a follow up interview Johnson. Either way both guests are great, I hope there isn’t anything big that happens to slow down the approval process so SSRIs and the like aren’t given out like candy.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
Drugs don't work... don't subject yourself to them.
Just work on yourself.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Drugs don't work... don't subject yourself to them.
Just work on yourself.
I would mostly agree with this based on my personal short lived experience with SSRIs. The side effects are brutal, I was numb to all emotions. Had a close friends wife die and I was unable to shed a single tear, talking super close friend. Sex was annoying as in the amount of focus required to cum took all the enjoyment t out of it. I just felt likea husk of human being. Also, I quit cold turkey without consulting anyone and that was it's own panic riddled personal nightmare.

Somehow I got through all that with will power, it was dark. After that I found therapist that was the right fit for me and now I am in a way better place, like the dark side of the moon versus the sun kind of difference. The SSRI period was was few months around 2008 -2009.

I would say if you were at the end of your rope and close or actually considering suicide SSRIs could help you through that. I am sure clinically there are other times it is the right application, consult a trusted doctor.

That said for me I knew they were not the long term solution for who I wanted a d needed to become. I still have some struggles with depression fro time to time but due to all the work I put I have coping mechanisms and know how to pull out before it gets too dark.

Also have to say one of the best books I have ever read for helping with your mindset is the Four Agreements. I actually started listening to it again last night, just was too tired to actually read my current book Apocolapyse Never.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Thought I had depression forever, but was diagnosed with bipolar2 last year. Started lithium and felt better almost immediately. I swear lithium is supposed to be a mineral and bipolar is just what happens when you have a deficiency..... Towns with higher levels of lithium in their municipal water supply have lower rates of suicide, I'm a statistically significant trend so.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Thought I had depression forever, but was diagnosed with bipolar2 last year. Started lithium and felt better almost immediately. I swear lithium is supposed to be a mineral and bipolar is just what happens when you have a deficiency..... Towns with higher levels of lithium in their municipal water supply have lower rates of suicide, I'm a statistically significant trend so.

Smoke cuban cigars. I've heard they have it in their soil a lot there and it gets into the cigars.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
There are things you can do to help when you're off. One of them is figure out what helps your depression. I actually had a really good therapist that was asking me questions that only I could answer and letting me lead myself to the solutions. There are things that help. For me, my brain feels "fuzzy" when I get depressed. It's a straight up chemical imbalance that I can feel now that I pay attention to it. Sleeping helps it. So I know when I start feeling that, go take a nap.

Interacting with people helps it too. It's real easy when you get depressed to just wallow in your own hole and not want to interact with anyone. Forcing myself to do that helps out too. There's a few other things, but you get the idea. You really need to pay attention to patterns and see what's going on. What's causing things, what helps it. Once you get that down, you can start the process of controlling it and managing it yourself so you can hopefully not get sucked down the drain every time it shows up.

Interaction has been huge, surrounding myself with good people has really helped. We all working together for common goals etc.
Steel sharpens steel!

Gaining weight again though...need to figure out what's up with that.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Sorry if you covered this earlier, have you stopped riding the mountain bike?
Yes but switched to BMX type and grabbed a pit bike, shit is too much fun. Replaced long rides with shovel time moving dirt.
added some mods to this backyard track Sunday :emoji_muscle:

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Yes but switched to BMX type and grabbed a pit bike, shit is too much fun. Replaced long rides with shovel time moving dirt.
So still heavy on the exercise, then I would guess it mostly comes down to what and when you eat.

I know when my depression rears its ugly head I am more prone to late night snacks which then leads to guilt and thus more depression. It is a vicious cycle and one of the worst parts is that in a week of bad eating I can undo a month of hard work. Ain't that a bitch?

• 1Solidarity

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
So still heavy on the exercise, then I would guess it mostly comes down to what and when you eat.

I know when my depression rears its ugly head I am more prone to late night snacks which then leads to guilt and thus more depression. It is a vicious cycle and one of the worst parts is that in a week of bad eating I can undo a month of hard work. Ain't that a bitch?
Yeah time to cut out the beer and chips... I replaced my row of fig newtons with oatmeal a while back I got to get back on it.

• 1Like

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, the easiest way is to just stop eating.

I did some serious hard labor for a very long time. We're talking go home, eat a DiGiorno pizza and still lose weight shit. When I stopped doing that, it slowly started creeping on. So I just made my lunches smaller and smaller. Then when lunch became just a sandwich and I was still gaining weight, I cut out breakfast entirely. Then when I was still gaining weight with that, I cut out lunch too. Now I just eat dinner and honestly...it's just way fucking better. The beautiful thing about that is you literally can't eat enough to get fat. Your stomach shrinks because it's not being fed all day, so your one meal is naturally smaller. You're healthier, and you don't really have to do shit for it. I fucking suck at working out - I've never had to because of the job, so I just can't build that routine to do it. It's WAY fucking easier to just eat less, maintain my current activity level, and just lose the fat that way. If you've got a desk job, you may have to hit the gym a bit. But, really, just eat less.

• 2Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

I did some serious hard labor for a very long time. We're talking go home, eat a DiGiorno pizza and still lose weight shit. When I stopped doing that, it slowly started creeping on. So I just made my lunches smaller and smaller. Then when lunch became just a sandwich and I was still gaining weight, I cut out breakfast entirely. Then when I was still gaining weight with that, I cut out lunch too. Now I just eat dinner and honestly...it's just way fucking better. The beautiful thing about that is you literally can't eat enough to get fat. Your stomach shrinks because it's not being fed all day, so your one meal is naturally smaller. You're healthier, and you don't really have to do shit for it. I fucking suck at working out - I've never had to because of the job, so I just can't build that routine to do it. It's WAY fucking easier to just eat less, maintain my current activity level, and just lose the fat that way. If you've got a desk job, you may have to hit the gym a bit. But, really, just eat less.
I basically did this but as much out of convenience as anything.

It was always a paint to have something ready to eat in thing morning, and I didn't the additional cost of premade stuff. Plus, spills in the car etc. I hadn't eaten more than a few hundred calories. Then after having read anecdotes and legit research about intermittent fasting, plus I hate getting drowsy in the afternoon after eating I dropped lunch too. I'm just shy of 5'11" and went from about 172 to 158 in the 4 weeks since starting to skip breakfast.

Still a ways to go in consistency and other diet improvements (damn you sugar!) but it's been a big improvement.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

This matches my experience. Different details but similar overall effect.

When I hit 28 my metabolism changed and I started putting on weight with no change in diet or activity. For over a decade I went back and forth between ideal weight and 30 lbs overweight. Then a year or two ago when I had my mental breakdown, I lost interest in food. I still eat, but its a conscious thing like "oh its dinnertime so I should eat something". Once eating is a conscious thing, you end up eating less because theres no reason for things like snacks.

Without any other change, I dropped back to high school weight and havent budged since.

It really is all about eating. I hear people talk about how hard it is to lose weight, while they're still eating three big meals plus multiple snacks every day. Stop eating so much and you'll lose weight, it really isnt rocket science.

• 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
added some mods to this backyard track Sunday :emoji_muscle:
This is all I could think of watching that video.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I apologize.
I know that so many can still be helped!

Explore and find your own place!
Hey good job! It takes a lot to correct yourself publicly. Kudos!

Give the four agreements a read if you haven't already. I cannot recommend it enough. I just gave a copy to my middle schooler to read. Figure that is the age kids start being really shitty, might as well provide him with some extra mental armor.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
At this point in time...
I think I am headed into an unavoidable demise.

I've had a couple of different psychiatrists, I've had a couple of different psychologists.
My last meeting with my Psychiatrist she told me to go talk with some psychologist she trusts.
That did not happen.
This psychiatrist also told me to come back two months later... but only gave me a receipt for less than a month of medication.
I tried a different one before... but its all the same thing...
You sit there... and they just move you into some square of things they know that you might fit and give you some recipe for drugs and that is it.

Is this a good place for me to lay out my last days?
Should I start a new thread?

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
At this point in time...
I think I am headed into an unavoidable demise.

I've had a couple of different psychiatrists, I've had a couple of different psychologists.
My last meeting with my Psychiatrist she told me to go talk with some psychologist she trusts.
That did not happen.
This psychiatrist also told me to come back two months later... but only gave me a receipt for less than a month of medication.
I tried a different one before... but its all the same thing...
You sit there... and they just move you into some square of things they know that you might fit and give you some recipe for drugs and that is it.

Is this a good place for me to lay out my last days?
Should I start a new thread?
Lay it out. I am listening and I am sure others are too. I will do my absolute best to provide any knowledge and or experiences I have had that may be helpful to you.

Also and most importantly, I am hoping that first question was just poorly worded. I hope you meant your experiences over the last few days.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like