Depression

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Just had my second Psychiatrist appointment yesterday with this new guy. I was put on Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo a few months ago. Has worked reasonably well, but started to feel like it was losing effect last month. He upped my Wellbutrin, so we'll see how that goes. He also does psychotherapy. Downside is every Psychiatrist and therapist around here that are decent don't take insurance and they're stupidly expensive. Can't afford to go every week at $190 per hour
frown.png

Catch 22. My failure at a career/financially is one of my issues, but I need to have a good career to get help with my issues due to the expense.

Anyone who feel like their issues are beyond help and they're kind of screwed? That's where I'm at.

iannis

Musty Nester
Shit, I don't even suffer from clinical depression and there are months where it's not a feeling. It is a self evident fact that my issues are beyond help.

But not beyond control. We can only do what we can do. And if you have to content yourself with the small things that is better than discontenting yourself with the large ones.

This week spread its hairy, dirty, asshole right in my face and is forcing me to lick.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Boy, Nefazodone is quite the shit if you're susceptable to the side effects, isn't it. I couldn't even make it a week. Damn.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't read side effects, I prefer to be surprised.

"Uh, Doc... I feel like I'm going to choke to death, and if I get a cut it bleeds for an hour"

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just had my second Psychiatrist appointment yesterday with this new guy. I was put on Lexapro/Wellbutrin combo a few months ago. Has worked reasonably well, but started to feel like it was losing effect last month. He upped my Wellbutrin, so we'll see how that goes. He also does psychotherapy. Downside is every Psychiatrist and therapist around here that are decent don't take insurance and they're stupidly expensive. Can't afford to go every week at $190 per hour
frown.png

Catch 22. My failure at a career/financially is one of my issues, but I need to have a good career to get help with my issues due to the expense.

Anyone who feel like their issues are beyond help and they're kind of screwed? That's where I'm at.
What area are you in, there's often support to help people that have income issues depending on your area - with psychiatric more commonly than general health care in my experience.

On my own life - when I talked about running out of my meds a month or so ago - due to it being Xmas time I was completely through withdrawal by the time I was getting answered since I wasn't being too pushy and have stayed off and not followed up getting my meds replaced now that I'm noticing that my post-move personal support structure is now awesome and I think the meds helped me make that gateway to help replace the missing RL social element of my life which has almost gone into overdrive now.

I seriously would hang out with my own friends (outside of Facebook type stuff) on the order of once a year or so - casual friends every month with none ever getting particularly close (none have contacted us since the move, or even for the couple months we weren't seeing anyone because of the car accident I had near the hangout that made me nervous to get over there [if you're ever in MD, York Rd sucks and people drive extra stupid on it]) - yet here, with just one Meetup group that I've been active with - I honestly feel like a rockstar with me getting my "Norm!" type greetings when I come to anything, even to the point of people expressing disappointment when we've got a conflict, encouraging us to mooch when we forget cash for a pitch in thing (not that I ever do - I hate mooching), people lending us $80 board games to help them learn since they're having a challenge finding the time to teach themself on their own schedule, etc. Like seriously, it feels like in terms of importance of the Meetup (which is pretty large overall - about 60 active people or so right now I'd guesstimate with around 20-30 attending at least once a month, about 10 make almost every event) we're probably considered some of the most valuable people to it below the two guys that actually manage the Meetups themselves. [One night overlaps with a local Makerspace which has it's own]

It's kind of funny that for at least a decade, I was convincing myself that making RL friends was too hard and all I really needed was myself and my wife and a little foruming/online gaming to fill in for random socializing. It really isn't. And all my stupid anxieties that I have over meeting people and why I had decided to alienate myself from people were complete bullshit. With my oculodigitaldental dysplasia (assuming they haven't altered the name slightly again - if anyone wiki's it, might be slightly different but still reference) - no one ever comments on my slightly odd bits of appearance that come with the condition and have always been something I beat myself up over mentally - and people are regularly being aggressive about approaching ME as a friend. I've got tons already, perfectly content and keep getting more throwing themselves at me.

[Hell, due to the dental part of the condition, basically I have baby teeth levels of enamel on my adult teeth, very fragile - missing most of two of my front teeth (from a moving mishap with clocking myself on the chin with a dresser) while I'm going through the whole dental replacement thing - dentist wanted to remove them now, then install the apparatus in 2-3 months - and haven't even had one comment, I'm not even sure if people don't notice or are just mellow about it. I'll be happier when they're replaced, but it barely seems necessary as funny as that sounds (definitely want them in place before I open my store if that still happens though - I actually delayed it because of the teeth - the excuse of "waiting till I know which area I want to buy the home in versus the renting this year while I find out which area I prefer for a home buy" was honestly just an obfuscation to legitimize the delay without admitting the teeth thing (although living close is beneficial for obvious reasons - I wouldn't mind a reasonable commute around here]

Anyhow, babbling at this point. It's amusing how far I've gone in so little time - wasn't actually a plan of mine with the move, but being in a new environment really helped me hit a reset button on my life to help me fix cracks in the foundation of my psyche that I'd convinced myself I had. Not an option for everyone of course - but something to consider if/when you have the opportunity, sometimes a change of environment can really turn things around (with appropriate support on the segway into it as well - don't just say "New environment, no meds!" or anything - might work in the longrun, but stupid in the short)

Vaclav

I'm in MD.
Ah, just left there, there's definitely some clinics that offer various cost controls - contact Sheppard Pratt if you're near Baltimore/Towson - if you're further out, ask them for the best resource in your area. Good luck. (Note: If you get insured, Mark O'Neill in the Sheppard Pratt Outpatient is an excellent LCSW for counseling)

Definitely can relate to the $150+/hr people if you're talking up York Rd though - my original psych/counselor was superb (and post-insurance was like $20 just was out of pocket until reimbursed because of no front office) but definitely left a ton of money in limbo waiting for reimbursement which sucked.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Man... the Wellbutrin is working wonders.

It's not been an upper like the Effexor, but it's stabilized my mood. Makes me feel... balanced. Things have made me sad (had to go to my grandpa's memorial) and happy (still floating on air after this girl I know called me charming... I'm melting!), but I haven't spiraled down into a deep funk like I used to.

It could just be the new beard, though... maybe it's just the beard.

Vaclav

Not dwelling is a good sign from my own progress. Wellbutrin seems like it's one of the more polarizing psychiatric meds though, does wonders for some people - others it's a nightmare of side effects. Odd that way.

And confidence, especially in appearance, as it's own display full time is always a good thing as long as you don't overinflate your ego.

Troll_sl

shitlord
It may be that I also have ADD that it's working so well for me, as it has some indications for that as well.

And no, no overinflation. I've spent my entire life on the opposite side. My ego's barely come out of that hole.

Vaclav

I can relate 110% on both counts - I had ADHD or something similar that would make my mind wander when it wasn't engaged that would always go to dark places somehow, or just like "oh shit, this isn't done right" stuff that would then become the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I can only be so distracted. Shit just creeps up.

Actually, what I'm thinking of is the difference between "being busy" and "being engaged." Some people it seems all they need is the former. I know it's how my mom copes - with excessive, OCD level of "having something to do" no matter what it is. This does next to nothing for me. Being busy is not being engaged. Unfortunately this includes my job - which before the drugs I thought I was going to walk out on nearly every minute I was here.

That's how I wind up with my drive-by postings here.

Vaclav

Yea, I used to think it was normal to be that way as well because of how simple it was to fall into that - I find myself slipping back a TINY bit the last couple days (remember, I'm going unmedicated now since I ended up getting all the way through withdrawal before the psych returned my call thanks to the holidays) but it's absolutely attainable if everything lines up.

Meds, education via counseling and of course an actual couple day institutionalizing is what got me there. Not sure where I'd put the most weight on though.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Ah, just left there, there's definitely some clinics that offer various cost controls - contact Sheppard Pratt if you're near Baltimore/Towson - if you're further out, ask them for the best resource in your area. Good luck. (Note: If you get insured, Mark O'Neill in the Sheppard Pratt Outpatient is an excellent LCSW for counseling)

Definitely can relate to the $150+/hr people if you're talking up York Rd though - my original psych/counselor was superb (and post-insurance was like $20 just was out of pocket until reimbursed because of no front office) but definitely left a ton of money in limbo waiting for reimbursement which sucked.
Just as an update, meds haven't been working quite as well recently. Not nearly as bad as I was last year, but still feeling down some days. Doctor upped my Wellbutrin again. He thinks I really need therapy to deal with what triggers my depression. Therapy is his speciality, even though he's an MD. Of course, I explained that being difficult due to the expense, and he's just like, well that's a reality one has to deal with. He wants me to come multiple times a week, but no less than once a week to maintain continuity in sessions instead of only going once a month or 2. But at $190 per session, I sure has heck am not spending over $1000 a month on therapy.

DoctorSpooge_sl

shitlord
Anybody else been on Brintellix? I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd started it up and that its efficacy has been found to be superior to a lot of other antidepressants. I'm still in the building up stage (it's like an SSRI in that respect) and the nausea is utterly unreal.

I woke up a few nights ago around 4 AM -- I'll here forewarn you that this might be TMI -- with a level of nausea that overpowered all thought and reason. I seriously wanted to die. Made it to the toilet, but couldn't vomit. Spent about 15 minutes with my head digging into the mat in the bathroom -- an upright fetal position that seemed to attenuate the nausea to an extent. I had to shit so badly I couldn't hold it in and I couldn't move for the nausea, so I just grabbed a ton of toilet paper, spread it out onto the floor, and shat straight onto it, picked up the mound and threw it into the toilet.

I haven't felt as bad since, but the dosage I've work up to (10mg) is still really low. And unless this nausea subsides, I'm not sure I can continue it. Just wondering if anybody else has been on it.

Vaclav

Just as an update, meds haven't been working quite as well recently. Not nearly as bad as I was last year, but still feeling down some days. Doctor upped my Wellbutrin again. He thinks I really need therapy to deal with what triggers my depression. Therapy is his speciality, even though he's an MD. Of course, I explained that being difficult due to the expense, and he's just like, well that's a reality one has to deal with. He wants me to come multiple times a week, but no less than once a week to maintain continuity in sessions instead of only going once a month or 2. But at $190 per session, I sure has heck am not spending over $1000 a month on therapy.
Yikes - yea, if you need counseling that regularly I'd look towards something like Sheppard Pratt Outpatient since they can actually handle insurance "normally".

Vaclav

Anybody else been on Brintellix? I mentioned a few weeks ago that I'd started it up and that its efficacy has been found to be superior to a lot of other antidepressants. I'm still in the building up stage (it's like an SSRI in that respect) and the nausea is utterly unreal.

I woke up a few nights ago around 4 AM -- I'll here forewarn you that this might be TMI -- with a level of nausea that overpowered all thought and reason. I seriously wanted to die. Made it to the toilet, but couldn't vomit. Spent about 15 minutes with my head digging into the mat in the bathroom -- an upright fetal position that seemed to attenuate the nausea to an extent. I had to shit so badly I couldn't hold it in and I couldn't move for the nausea, so I just grabbed a ton of toilet paper, spread it out onto the floor, and shat straight onto it, picked up the mound and threw it into the toilet.

I haven't felt as bad since, but the dosage I've work up to (10mg) is still really low. And unless this nausea subsides, I'm not sure I can continue it. Just wondering if anybody else has been on it.
I can't relate to the medication - but that nausea, wanting to die, a giant dump brewing, wanting to curl up into a ball on the ground - sounds like the symptoms I was having when my bowel malrotation was diagnosed from what was assumed to be a blockage that finally passed before they finished diagnostics.

Or more in short - I'm not familiar with the medication, but there's some other serious things that it seems like it has some similarities to - so be careful, bowel blockages are painful as hell. [not sure if they kill, but you definitely want to die during one]

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
How much are you taking ? Im taking 150mg extended release for 2 weeks and not noticed anything...
Man... the Wellbutrin is working wonders.

It's not been an upper like the Effexor, but it's stabilized my mood. Makes me feel... balanced. Things have made me sad (had to go to my grandpa's memorial) and happy (still floating on air after this girl I know called me charming... I'm melting!), but I haven't spiraled down into a deep funk like I used to.

It could just be the new beard, though... maybe it's just the beard.